No announcement yet.

Recommend a 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you everyone for the opinions and experiences on this topic. After looking into some of the Dan Wesson pistols and reading all the reviews. I'm just going to save up a little longer and go with either the commander or heritage as pictured above. Figured if I buy something like this it would be something I would be proud to pass to my son some day.

Comment

I have a Colt Delta Elite 10mm and a Smith and Wesson E Series 45acp. The Smith's fit, finish and accuracy is crazy good for a $800ish pistol. I know it has an external extractor and that's not classic design but it works and the gun is gorgeous! The Colt is a bruiser, ill eventually get a trigger job done to it but I can still shoot it lights out and the 10mm blasts outta there like a missile on a mission. If I had your budget and had to do it over again, I'd buy the Smith again!

Comment

Kimber (I've had zero issues with mine over the last 5 years), Remington, Ruger, Magnum Research, sometimes Springfield can be had in your price range

Comment

The Ruger 1911 is a fantastic gun for about $800.

Pretty sharp looking as well and the most accurate gun I've ever shot. I downgraded to a Glock 22 .40 for the mag cap and I really miss my 1911 now.

Comment

It's really just luck of the draw. I've owned a bunch of different 1911 pistols. The worst was a gold cup national match. The best was a mil spec Springfield. The Taurus was good and was set up for me being a lefty. The ruger was the prettiest and a good shooter too! If I was buying one today... Taurus #1 and Ruger #2 and take my money savings and buy ammo

Comment

Sig Ruger Springfield Colt

Comment

I bought a Sig Scorpion anbout 5 years ago. Absolutely zero issues. Highly recommend it

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  Kimber wouldn't even show a blip on my radar. They are the most expensive, questionably reliable mass produced 1911 you can buy.

My money is on Colt, Sig or Dan Wesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  I have heard the stories about Kimber but never talked to anyone who has experienced the issues. Bought my first one in 2000 and last one a couple years ago. Just saw a new one in Plano, full size, night sights and checked front strap. I think it was $950.

Comment

I've got the Sig full size 1911 Scorpion. I love it. Functions great and has been reliable regardless of ammo.

Comment

Kimber is the best $500 1911 you can spend $1000 for...unless you can find an early Oregon made.

I think STI & Dan Wesson make the best in the $1k-$1.5k range currently.

Comment

I'm new to 1911s myself and just got my first one - a Colt Competition stainless in .45 acp for less than $1K from a local FFL dealer. All I can say about it is, "Holy moly!" It's by far the smoothest, nicest and coolest handgun I've ever shot. But I admit I haven't shot that many handguns as I'm relatively new to the world of shooting sports. I can't imagine how much better one of the high dollar custom 1911s shoot, but to a 1911 newbie like myself this is one really cool shooter.

Comment

Working...
                        X