preference for food plots or feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

preference for food plots or feeders

Do you prefer plots or feeders, or both, for deer ... and why?

Both
    For us the feeders have specific time to go off and you know there will be animals coming through at that time
    The food plot provides a green food source during cooler season fall/winter to give deer area to mill around and hang out grazing a little
    Food plot also can give the archer a clear shooting lane also

Comment

I have feeders and plant food plots to keep deer on my property. No one around me has feeders or plant food plots.

Comment

Probably depends where you are at. Deep South Texas or Mexico it will be protien feeders because of the lack of consistent rain for food plots.
        Cotton seed also down South.
        Where do you hunt?

Comment

Both. Like having the feeder to bring them into bow range in early season, like the food plot to have a large food source to keep deer in the area. Late in the season deer seem to not hit the feeder during day light and might hit the food plot right a day break and right before dark. Usually make a move to trails leading to food sources by then

Comment

I like hand corn. Food plots are not feasible with all the cows and pigs at my places and the fact I don’t have the equipment to put them in. Our mature deer hit the Feeders before the season but seldom during the season. The mature bucks will hit the hand corn at anytime during daylight hours but mostly in the morning and evening. They rarely hit the hand corn at night because the pigs take it over after dark. The problem with hand corn is keeping a constant supply on the ground when you have a lot of pigs like we do. The pigs can easily wipe out 50#s a night so I have to put corn out every day and I have to make sure it’s not close to a pig bedding area or the pigs will take it over and run the deer off.

Comment

Feeders in dry areas south and west. Corn and protein

Both types of Feeders and food plots in central/east Texas.

BP

Comment

I prefer food plots. They provide a lot of forage per acre and are much more beneficial to the habitat & other species. I don’t use feeders as they’re not particularly effective in my area (especially during the season due to natural foods available).

Thinning timber and keeping stuff mowed in cycles to promote various stages of growth has benefitted our deer & turkey habitat more than our plots, and I couldn’t imagine how much it would cost to pour out as much feed as those activities create. It wouldn’t be close to feasible for a regular guy like me.

That being said, I understand that there are areas and situations that aren’t conducive to plots.

Comment

Both are great if you have the means.

Comment

Plots are good simply because they can eat a high nutrient rich diet anytime they want. Plus bucks will actually come to them. Feeders are great if your area suffers from lack of food and you can choose the level of nutrition.

So its a win win.

Comment

My best hunts have been over food plots. I love the fact that you can sneak up on them anytime of the day and have the potential to see multiple deer feeding. With feeders, the deer usually clear them out and they’re done by 9:00am.

Comment

Plots! Hand corn IF that’s not an option

I absolutely hate hunting a feeder, I mean HATE it.... other than hogs. Love em for hogs

Comment

Working...
                        X