Caliber Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliber Question

I am in the market for a new rifle and interested in any suggestions.

This gun will be used primarily on deer and pigs under 200yd. However, I want the ability to stretch out to 300-400 yds and have the ability to drop larger animals (elk). I am looking for an off the shelf rifle, custom made will come down the line, not now. It is important for the gun to be light weight as not all hunting will be from sitting in a blind.

I have been throwing around either a 30-06, 7MM Rem Mag or 6.5 Creedmoor.

Please give me your thoughts...

Tikka T3 will be light weight with several choices in caliber. 6.5 Creedmoor is one but I would take the 7mm-08 over 6.5 with the addition of Elk in the mix and range stated.

There are plenty of cartridge options out there that will work and work well though. Sure there will be plenty suggested.

Comment

Personally I'm a fan of the model 700 calibered in 30-06. You still have the ability to customize down the road if you want on the model 700 platform

Comment

7 mag

Comment

It is hard to beat the 308 as an all round cartridge. Shells can be bought everywhere. It is very effective for longer ranges.

Comment

Based on your criteria, go with the 7mag

Comment

After shooting a buddy's custom built 308 yesterday and killing a 8 point at my longest shot ever of 407 yards. I am thinking of the Rem 700 in 308 and slowly building it so it does not sting so bad.

Comment

My vote goes to the old 30-06. It will do everything and more than you need

Comment

Great suggestions so far - lots of research happening over here. Keep them coming!

Comment

Lots of options. I have had better luck getting consistent accuracy from factory rifles from Tikka than Remington seems QC is much better than Remington. There are plenty of after market parts to build/upgrade Tikka's as well.

Not changing my rifle suggestion but adding a couple calibers 270WSM and 300 WSM both handle elk down easily enough and have the reach for 500 yards with enough energy.

Comment

7 Mag. There are no short-comings.

Comment

if I had one choice, I say my go to animal... 280 remington in ruger mk77II...

Comment

rem 700 30-06 with a vortex viper 4x12. Done.

Comment

Tikka T3 in 260!!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I'm a 6.5 CM fan but I'd still go .308 for what you're asking.

My advice is not to get one gun to do everything. Get the best deer rifle (6.5CM) then when you're ready to go elk hunting get the best elk rifle (7mag perhaps).

If you know for sure you just want one rifle and then to not think about it again, .308.

Comment

Working...
                              X