Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

A bow I'm really happy with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bow I'm really happy with

It's not every day I make a bow I'm really happy with. I was actually kind of disappointed with this bow in the beginning because I accidentally glued the bottom belly lam on backwards and because it came out heavier than I wanted. But as I was shooting it today, my attitude completely changed, and now I love this bow.

I've decided to call this bow "Tex" because all of the wood in this bow grew in Texas. The grass core didn't, though. But even the horn I used for the tip overlays came from a Texas cow.

This is a bow I've had in my head for a really long time. I had been wanting to find some cedar I could make lams out of to where the sap wood and heart wood ran parallel along the whole length of the limbs, so I could have it half and half. I cut these out of a log. There aren't even any knots.

I also wanted to try some mesquite in the handle. I rescued this mesquite from craigslist. A guy had cut up a tree and left it in front of his house for somebody to pick up. When I got there, somebody had beat me to it, but I helped him load it in his truck in exchange for a couple of pieces. That's where I got the mesquite from.

I had heard that mesquite is kind of brittle, and Bob Sarrels told me a horror story about somebody having a bow break over his head because of a mesquite riser, so I did a couple of things to beef it up. The handle is a little thicker than I usually make them, and I use a piece of Osage as an accent to where it would be thin on one side (allowing for maximum mesquite), but growing thicker on the other end where the arrow shelf would be to add extra strength. I've shot it at least 100 times so far, and my head is still intact.

It's 64" and 53# @ 28".

Thanks for looking.

Good looking bow Sam, the contrast in the colors are amazing

Comment

Nice looking bow man, good job.

Comment

That is some beautiful work!

Comment

looks great!

Comment

Good night, brother! I can see why you like it, beautiful bow.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Good work Sam she is a definite beauty. Also a cool idea with the all Texas woods.

Comment

I saw this bow yesterday when Sam I Am stopped by with it. It surely is a looker

Comment

I like it Sam. I had the same idea about building a bow with all texas woods, I have a different name I'm going to use. Still, this bow looks good!

Comment

Nice bow

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words. And thank you, Bob, for all the advice.

Comment

You might want to sell that one (really cheap) and try again, till you get it right.
                          I could help you out.

Great looking bow!

Comment

Ha! That's thoughtful of you, DCUnger, but I think I better hold on to it until I get it right before I part with it. Just in case I never get it right. :-)

Comment

That is a sweet bow Sam! I've used mesquite a couple times in risers with some glass accents for strength with no problems so far...

Comment

Working...
                              X