Got my Property tax bill today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
    Correct, market determines sales price. Fight fight fight.
    [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Correct, market determines sales price. Fight fight fight.
      Yep, they increased the value of my house by 20,000 this year and I made no improvements. IMHO my home value went down when they built the new subdivision behind me. I'm going to protest it.

Comment

The reason I said that it's pointless to protest is because the market value has increased so much.
        I had a realtor friend run comps and give me a good market value estimate.

Is it a bubble... idk but, I've literally had realtors knock on my door and offer nearly double what I paid for the house. I'd move tomorrow but it'll be several more years before the wife will retire and then we can leave the city for good.

Comment

I would only say it's pointless if you go in blind and just ask "will you reduce it". Country appraisal comps are not the same as realtor comps and market value estimates, although they can be equal. Know the CAD way of doing things and use it to fight them.

This obviously gets more detailed as you dig in. County appraisals are based on three methods; cost, income, and market data. They generally base off of market.
          Submit to you county a request for all documentation, schedules, and comps used to value your property. Analyze this compared to the comps. Compare "similarities with regard to location, square footage of the lot and improvements, property age, property condition, property access, amenities, views, income, operating expenses, occupancy, and the existence of easements, deed restrictions, or other legal burdens affecting marketability".
          Look for errors in your property. I had a $200 plastic snap together storage sheds valued equivalent to $3000 2 story wood framed shed.
          The CAD doesn't know your interior conditions, so if they are not comparable to the comps, value it. Value remodel cost.
          Foundation condition or history
          Roof age
          Treed vs bare lot
          Driveway condition
          If your house backs up to lower valued houses or the neighborhood isn't up to par with the others, you can value that.
          Are there foreclosures around, I believe those have to be counted in valuations.
          This is not everything, but you can get the idea. Sometimes CAD is simply right.

Also, don't simply talk with CAD, in my experience they don't care and will not perform any extra work or thought unless they are required by law. Request a hearing with citizen review board and take your findings to them. In my experience they are reasonable.

Comment

I would only say it's pointless if you go in blind and just ask "will you reduce it". Country appraisal comps are not the same as realtor comps and market value estimates, although they can be equal. Know the CAD way of doing things and use it to fight them.

This obviously gets more detailed as you dig in. County appraisals are based on three methods; cost, income, and market data. They generally base off of market.
            Submit to you county a request for all documentation, schedules, and comps used to value your property. Analyze this compared to the comps. Compare "similarities with regard to location, square footage of the lot and improvements, property age, property condition, property access, amenities, views, income, operating expenses, occupancy, and the existence of easements, deed restrictions, or other legal burdens affecting marketability".
            Look for errors in your property. I had a $200 plastic snap together storage sheds valued equivalent to $3000 2 story wood framed shed.
            The CAD doesn't know your interior conditions, so if they are not comparable to the comps, value it. Value remodel cost.
            Foundation condition or history
            Roof age
            Treed vs bare lot
            Driveway condition
            If your house backs up to lower valued houses or the neighborhood isn't up to par with the others, you can value that.
            Are there foreclosures around, I believe those have to be counted in valuations.
            This is not everything, but you can get the idea. Sometimes CAD is simply right.

Also, don't simply talk with CAD, in my experience they don't care and will not perform any extra work or thought unless they are required by law. Request a hearing with citizen review board and take your findings to them. In my experience they are reasonable.
            That's great advice and I'm sure it will be helpful to some reading it.
            I did get my taxes lowered by fighting it about 10 years ago. I had my ducks in a row and brought comps and pictures and made a good case.

Not to flog a dead horse but... the reason I don't see the point in my particular case is the "taxable" (aka appraised value) is 60k below market value and they simply add 10% every year because they can. If the market ever slows down It will eventually close the gap enough that I could fight it again. To make the first penny's difference in my taxes now I'd have to devalue my house by more than 60k.
            So I guess if I wanted to look at the glass half full... i'm already paying substantially less in taxes than my "market value" would dictate and will until the housing market slows down.

Comment

You are not “devaluing”your house by fighting your taxes. It will sell for what the market will bring.

You are fighting a number someone put on a piece of paper that directly affects your bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by TransPecos View Post
                You are not “devaluing”your house by fighting your taxes. It will sell for what the market will bring.

You are fighting a number someone put on a piece of paper that directly affects your bottom line.
                This, fight back

Comment

Originally posted by TransPecos View Post

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                  This, fight back
                  Sounds to me like his property value and taxes are already lower than many of his neighbors
                  If his place Is valued at $100k but his next three neighbors on each side and behind him are $180-225k he should be grateful and don't go upsetting the turnip truck.

Sometimes it's best to leave good and well alone.

Comment

If you dig deep enough I bet the school funding is playing a big part in it. We just built a home a couple of years ago in a very rural area. I can assure you there is a big gap in my newly built home and comparables of people that have lived in the county for years. They will catch up eventually I assume.

Comment

Same boat at the OP here

Comment

Its the liberal Texas way

Comment

If you are near new build subdivision, your chances are pretty slim. If you are around the DFW and semi rural, you might have a chance. You can protest using a current 1/1/19 appraisal and get some traction. I have protested each year...it is getting harder. If you fight-take pictures. Be careful, though. My neighbor had his raised because he was in the process of remodeling.

Comment

^

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                              Thank goodness the GAP Ranch taxes are cheap. It's Mansfield that's out of control. They're going to force me to move eventually.
                              Moved from a house in Montgomery county on 1/2 acre to a bigger house in Leon county with 30 acres and my taxes are actually cheaper.
                              I drive an hour to work every day, but it’s worth it to me.

Comment

I gotta get my wife to retirement then I’m outta there.

Comment

Working...
                                X