Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dried sweet corn stew

Aka Chico's and pork stew.

This Is by far my favorite traditional stew to make. The sweet corn i use is from my region and it is dehydrated in either a horno or on rooftops. I think the Mexicans use an underground dehydration method. My Texas ancestors probably used a different method to dehydrate and preserve sweet corn kernels prior to using lye to strip corn.

Anyway I get my chicos from the local markets. I have seen packages in most Mexican grocers as well.

The key is rehydration of the corn. You must soak in cold water overnight.

I used chile negro for this recipe. It is a nice cheap chile that has a mild Smokey flavor. Obviously I can find much better Chile's local to me but this is a nice alternative. Cans would be a last resort because fresh is always best.

The fresher the ancho and chipotles powders are best as well.

Here is the recipe i used.

4 cups chicos
    8 cups chicken broth
    1 pound pork shoulder
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
    2 tablespoons chipotle chile powder
    ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons neutral
    cooking oil (corn or canola)
    4 pasillo chiles
    2 large sweet onions
    sour cream to taste
    cilantro, chopped, to taste
    Directions

In 8-quart Dutch oven, bring chicos and broth to boil. Cover and simmer 4 hours,
    stirring occasionally.

Chop pork shoulder into bite-size pieces. Generously season with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon each ancho and chipotle chile powders.

To hot, heavy skillet, add ¼ cup oil, then pork. When pork is browned but not fully cooked, add it to pot of chicos and broth. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Reserve skillet with remaining pork bits.

Roast pasillo chile over open flame, turning frequently. When charred, place in bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let sweat 10 minutes. Scrape off charred chile skin and remove cores, stems, seeds.

Dice onions and pasillos. Heat skillet used to brown the pork and add 2 tablespoons oil. Add onions, pasillos, and remaining ancho and chipotle chile powders. When onions turn translucent, add mixture to pot of chicos. Simmer 1 hour, then salt to taste.

Top with pico and asadero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks amigo - I like any soup that has corn as its base.

Comment

In for this!!! Looks perfect for this weather. Going to try manana.

Comment

Working...
        X