Laguna Atascosa hunting, opinions/tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
    You know the orientation is the same day as the scouting day right?

I see it now that I read it again. Thank you. Still it's just tough with the travel. I don't want to go down the 22nd for scout and orientation, stay there for thanksgiving on the 23rd and then start hunting the next day. Just have to grin and bear it. It will all be worth it if I can pull an animal out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Take a bike. We drew 11/17 hunt.

Comment

I drew 11/24-11/28

I'm super excited. It will be my first ever public land hunt. Any of you more experienced guys have tips? Orientation shows to be on the 22nd with the hunt starting on the 24th. I plan to take a bike and a pop up. Where are y'all staying during the hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
          I drew 11/24-11/28

I'm super excited. It will be my first ever public land hunt. Any of you more experienced guys have tips? Orientation shows to be on the 22nd with the hunt starting on the 24th. I plan to take a bike and a pop up. Where are y'all staying during the hunt?
          Anyone else get drawn these dates?

Comment

We're planning to camp at Adolph Thomae Jr County Park. Anyone know if there are reservations required down there? I'm talking tent camping, not RV...

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
              We're planning to camp at Adolph Thomae Jr County Park. Anyone know if there are reservations required down there? I'm talking tent camping, not RV...
              I was wondering what the sleeping arrangements would be like

Comment

What about lodging in the area?

Comment

[QUOTE=Gopher;12723294]I see it now that I read it again. Thank you. Still it's just tough with the travel. I don't want to go down the 22nd for scout and orientation, stay there for thanksgiving on the 23rd and then start hunting the next day. Just have to grin and bear it. It will all be worth it if I can pull an animal out.

We called and they said we could do the orientation the first day of the hunt (not the day before Thanksgiving). Might give them a shout.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                    What about lodging in the area?
                    Idk about lodging. I was just gonna pop a tent up

Comment

Here is the info on the nearby camp sight. http://www.cameroncountyparks.com/#./adolph-thomae-park

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I was drawn for the 17 with a buddy and now it looks like can't make the dates. It will be a solo hunt for me which would be my first public land solo on what appears to be an intimidating hunt.

I would definitely be up for a TBH meet up. Looks like there are at least three other members who drew the 17.

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
                          Idk about lodging. I was just gonna pop a tent up
                          I personally would think twice about that tent if the weather is even partial hot
                          You will probably be uncomfortable, and bugs can be a problem
                          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-17-2017, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Definatly in for a meet-up.
                            We are not going to make the scout date, so will be scouting and hunting while there
                            We got a hotel, wanted access to hot water.

Comment

[quote=Mr. Whiskers;12728879]
                              Originally posted by Gopher View Post
                              I see it now that I read it again. Thank you. Still it's just tough with the travel. I don't want to go down the 22nd for scout and orientation, stay there for thanksgiving on the 23rd and then start hunting the next day. Just have to grin and bear it. It will all be worth it if I can pull an animal out.

We called and they said we could do the orientation the first day of the hunt (not the day before Thanksgiving). Might give them a shout.

Thanks for the info. I'll call them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                                Definatly in for a meet-up.
                                We are not going to make the scout date, so will be scouting and hunting while there
                                We got a hotel, wanted access to hot water.
                                Do you mind sharing where you decided to stay? I was looking at a place in Port Isabel... Google said it was the closet drive

Comment

Working...
                                X