Electric smoker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric smoker question

I recieved an electric smoker for Christmas and was planning on using it tomorrow but was wondering does it hold temp in cold weather? It's supposed to get down in the 20's tomorrow so I didn't want to waste anything.. and how do y'all like them? I'm sure they don't produce as well as a regular smoker but at times I can deal with that for the convenience..

I'd think it all depends on the smoker. I have a Cookshack that is all insulated stainless steel. It's a cooking machine regardless of outside temperature.

Comment

Just run with the settings and you'll be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
        I'd think it all depends on the smoker. I have a Cookshack that is all insulated stainless steel. It's a cooking machine regardless of outside temperature.
        My cookshack doesn't skip a beat.

Comment

The temperature feedback controller should keep it at temp regardless of outdoor temp. It would have to get seriously cold to wear it out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
            I recieved an electric smoker for Christmas and was planning on using it tomorrow but was wondering does it hold temp in cold weather? It's supposed to get down in the 20's tomorrow so I didn't want to waste anything.. and how do y'all like them? I'm sure they don't produce as well as a regular smoker but at times I can deal with that for the convenience..
            As far as taste goes, I doubt you will be able to tell the difference. I wouldn't use my Bradley below freezing unless it was in something. I think it's gonna depend on the smoker as to how well it holds the temp. Guys up north use them though.

Comment

When really cold or windy I had to use my masterbuilt in the shop, wouldn't produce enough heat to combat the cold

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                My cookshack doesn't skip a beat.
                Same for my Masterbuilt...set it and you’re good to go. I add wood chips about every 30 mins for the first 2 hours and forget about it until probe says pull.

Comment

The wind is the problem with my masterbuilt. Keep chips in it. Look into "the amazing pellet smoker" accessory for an electric. Uses pellets, that you light, and it produces the smoke, while the smoker only does heat. Can't tell it from a wood smoker.

Comment

I keep my Masterbuilt on the front porch protected from the wind, but not extreme temps. It hasn't mattered if the outside temp was 25 or 95, the thermostat kept the smoker at 225

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead View Post
                      It hasn't mattered if the outside temp was 25 or 95, the thermostat kept the smoker at 225
                      That's the key - thermostat keeps it all good.

Comment

Smoking sausage in my Masterbuilt right now. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                          The wind is the problem with my masterbuilt. Keep chips in it. Look into "the amazing pellet smoker" accessory for an electric. Uses pellets, that you light, and it produces the smoke, while the smoker only does heat. Can't tell it from a wood smoker.
                          Do you ever have issues with it not keeping the pellets lit? I’m trying to decide on the Masterbuilt 30 or 40

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                            Do you ever have issues with it not keeping the pellets lit? I’m trying to decide on the Masterbuilt 30 or 40
                            I would go with the 40, I have the 30 and its a little small for my taste.

Comment

Working...
                            X