Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 04-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #1
txhoghunter73
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henly TX, Kerrville TX, and Blanco TX.
Default TPWD Draw Hunt Application Dates

When does TPWD usually open the draw hunts catalog and take applications? Don't want to miss it!
txhoghunter73 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

July I believe...
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
MitchParker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get an invite

I believe it's normally July as well.
MitchParker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
jbw899
Four Point

Hunt In: MO, TX, anywhere

Yep, early July. Application deadlines usually vary depending on when the hunt takes place. Believe they're from August through late fall for some of the hunts that happen in the spring.
jbw899 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 11:49 PM   #5
txhoghunter73
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henly TX, Kerrville TX, and Blanco TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
July I believe...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchParker View Post
I believe it's normally July as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbw899 View Post
Yep, early July. Application deadlines usually vary depending on when the hunt takes place. Believe they're from August through late fall for some of the hunts that happen in the spring.
Thanks
txhoghunter73 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2018, 09:43 PM   #6
bowhuntingw
Ten Point

Have better odds of winning the powerball than a Tpwd hunt
bowhuntingw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntingw View Post
I've drawn 4 in the 3 years ive been applying... I really need to start buying lottery tickets!
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 12:00 AM   #8
bowhuntingw
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
I've drawn 4 in the 3 years ive been applying... I really need to start buying lottery tickets!
Dang sounds like you do. I hate the new system
Old 04-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
jakefromtx
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
You just need to do a little research on which ones to apply for. This past season was my second season applying and I got selected for 5 hunts. My first season applying I got selected for 3. I think I applied for 25 or 30 total hunts.
jakefromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #10
bowhuntingw
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakefromtx View Post
You just need to do a little research on which ones to apply for. This past season was my second season applying and I got selected for 5 hunts. My first season applying I got selected for 3. I think I applied for 25 or 30 total hunts.
trust me ive done plenty of research over the years. studied draw odds,, harvest data, how it all relates to good years verses bad, etc. thankfully i have private places to hunt so i only put the kids and myself in for what i consider the better hunts, places other than the geographic region i live in. theres always a few that manage to draw multiple hunts every year. no other state in the union, to my knowledge, allows you to put in for every hunt in the draw. that's ridiculous. it lowers the odds terribly. in stead of being able to apply for those few choices spots you would like to hunt and probably would draw one day, now people have to put in for a lot more just to have a chance at something. many of the big time hunts like mule deer, kerr, chap, etc. have had applications double or have significant increases because "its just $3" for someone to apply for each one. this does not take into consideration that P&W has cut out hunts at various locations and reduced the number of hunts at others. theres a lot more people putting in for a less opportunity that in years past. i think a person should be limited to 2-3 choices per category and if draw for more than one, they have to select which hunt to go on in that category and then everything else is filled by standby or a second draw. more opportunity for everyone that way and tpwd still can make more of that $3 type money. for what its worth, we used to apply for 10-12 hunts, spend $30 and usually draw something every year. now werer spending $75 and drawing nothing. this is the norm with the new system.

Last edited by bowhuntingw; 04-25-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:43 PM   #11
Deers & Beers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I Can

Quote:
trust me ive done plenty of research over the years. studied draw odds,, harvest data, how it all relates to good years verses bad, etc. thankfully i have private places to hunt so i only put the kids and myself in for what i consider the better hunts, places other than the geographic region i live in. theres always a few that manage to draw multiple hunts every year. no other state in the union, to my knowledge, allows you to put in for every hunt in the draw. that's ridiculous. it lowers the odds terribly. in stead of being able to apply for those few choices spots you would like to hunt and probably would draw one day, now people have to put in for a lot more just to have a chance at something. many of the big time hunts like mule deer, kerr, chap, etc. have had applications double or have significant increases because "its just $3" for someone to apply for each one. this does not take into consideration that P&W has cut out hunts at various locations and reduced the number of hunts at others. theres a lot more people putting in for a less opportunity that in years past. i think a person should be limited to 2-3 choices per category and if draw for more than one, they have to select which hunt to go on in that category and then everything else is filled by standby or a second draw. more opportunity for everyone that way and tpwd still can make more of that $3 type money. for what its worth, we used to apply for 10-12 hunts, spend $30 and usually draw something every year. now werer spending $75 and drawing nothing. this is the norm with the new system.
That's way too much common sense for TPWD
Deers & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #12
Bryan2014
Six Point

Hunt In: Burleson county, Menard County, Alaska

Quote:
ehh, personally I like how the system is now.
Bryan2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #13
Grizz83
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Collingsworth Co, Colorado, Kansas

I've drawn more times under the new system than I ever did under the old system.

***knocks on wood***
Grizz83 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #14
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING
Default hunt draw

Quote:
nowdays thats about truth...in prob 30y+ of applying 2 wins for me and wife ...for GKids 2 times
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

I will be throwing my name in the hat in July! I've been drawn a few times in the past 5 years but on a lot of the hunts I'm playing the long game.
Shake N' Bake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #16
Deerguy
Eight Point

I've been applying for hunts for 24 years now and I like the new system better as well. Under the old system, I was drawn for 8 hunts in 20 years (1 hunt every 2.5 years or 0.4 hunts per year). In the new system, I've been drawn 5 times in 4 years (1 hunt every 0.8 years, or 1.3 hunts per year). Already looking forward to this year's draw.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #17
Outbreaker
Ten Point

I have drawn multiple times each year for the last 3. Unfortunately many of them had to be let go (some at the last minute) due to unforeseen circumstances......like broken arms.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #18
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Put in a several times in the last few years and have never drawn... Not sure of the old system, I just wish the state would open up more opportunities... As mentioned already, maybe the system should limit the number of hunts a person will be awarded per year...
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #19
bigchiefj
Six Point

I would save money if TPWD would limit the number of times we could apply. I think TPWD should eliminate the loyalty points system since a lot of people don't seem to understand how they work. Our points aren't like Colorado that guarantee a tag to the applicant with the most points.
bigchiefj is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #20
fish4food
Eight Point

^^^ wish the state would open more opportunities.

Wishful thinking. State parks, WMA, and a wildlife refuges are a drain with only expenditures and very little income. So much that some state parks were sold to local entities.

These hunts could be done year round and create a lot of revenue for the state to be put back into those parks. Instead of marking money and putting it into a general fund.

Even though I feel that way, I'll continue to put in for these drawn hunts. Did my first public hunt last year and it was the toughest hunt I'd ever been on.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #21
bigchiefj
Six Point

Oops, I meant save me money.
bigchiefj is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top