Do you field dress your deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    It's funny to me all the guys that say they don't gut the deer, but they "get the tenderloins."
    It's not some major feat of brain surgery you just accomplished. It just takes a little trimming to let the guts fall enough to reach the tenderloins. Some of y'all seem so proud of that accomplishment.
    I wouldn't even consider leaving them in the deer.
    Don't be a butthole Jeff. We have enough of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
      I’ve done all of the above. Good and bad or whatever you wanna call it.

Skinny
      You've left a deer in the truck of you car ungutted for 4 days???!?!?!? [emoji1]

Comment

It's funny to me all the guys that say they don't gut the deer, but they "get the tenderloins."
        It's not some major feat of brain surgery you just accomplished. It just takes a little trimming to let the guts fall enough to reach the tenderloins. Some of y'all seem so proud of that accomplishment.
        Don't be a butthole @antlercollector. We have enough of those.

Comment

Originally posted by graysonhogs View Post
          don't be a butthole @antlercollector. We have enough of those. :d

Tenderloin snowflake.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
            You've left a deer in the truck of you car ungutted for 4 days???!?!?!? [emoji1]

Well no. Lol. That would be against the law.

Skinny

Comment

If I can get it skinned quickly enough, I skin and quarter without gutting (I get tenderloins, heart, liver).

Hunting public land or hanging a deer in cold weather-of course. I'm really surprised at the number of hunters I see now that either won't or can't field dress a deer-but I don't worry myself about it. Many hunters will never be in a situation where it's absolutely necessary.

Comment

I honestly don't know anyone that doesn't field dress their deer. Come to think of it I don't know anyone that doesn't process their own.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Saw this the other night for the first time. Took a deer I shot to steves in Brady as I was in a jury and didn't want to quarter to take to Hudsons the next day (too hot to leave whole). Dude shot a good 8 in eden. Guys still in it. Paid the guy $60 to gut it lol. Took 30 seconds. Literally. I'd have done it for half that haha
                  Right! $40-60 to gut a deer, ten minutes of work.. I might have to start a seasonal side business... I could live on $360 an hour

Comment

I use a processor but 90% of the time I gut it myself. However there have been some days where i was ready to get back to camp where the whiskey was or the weather sucked bad enough that i HAPPILY paid the $10 gut fee at Halls. I can be there in less than 15 minutes anyway.

Comment

I guess since weve always processed our own, I've just never come across this before where tou take an ungutted deer to a processor.

Comment

If I'm close I'll take it to the processor and have it done. But, usually I'm not close so I field dress it myself.

I've seen a couple of guy drop deer off at the processor that had not been gutted. One axis buck that was bloated and one whitetail that smelled horrible. The poor guy at the processor that was gutting it looked like he was going to get sick.

I think if I was the processor I would refuse to handle those animals.

Comment

People say that here, including me, because for the last 100 threads on this subject other folks say "if you don't gut them you're leaving the tenderloins" or "I gut to get the tenderloins" or "no way you can get those without gutting".

Comment

I do everything except wrap them to put them in the freezer and my wife does that.

Comment

I'm old school and gut them shortly after they hit the dirt.
                              I was just brought up that way so to each his own.
                              I place a gallon jug of water in each blind for hand washing, and over the years I've learned to do it fast, stay clean, and barely get my hands bloody, but I can't help but laugh at those guys that are covered in blood like they are a serial killer, but at least they try.

Comment

I gut em every time where the lay. My grandfather and father did it that way and I do it and my boys do it that way also. It may not be right for everyone but it is how my family has done it and will continue to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X