Question on Elk Grip repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Elk Grip repair

I have a set of slim Elk grips for a full size 1911. Mine developed a crack going from the top bushing hole until about half way down the center. I love the way these grips fit and feel in the hand, so I'd like to repair them. Google has been helpful to a point, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in repairing that material, and if so, what did you use/do/ send them off to whom? Thanks in advance, Eric

Eric,
    I have no experience with repairing Elk, but I've repaired quite a few wood stocks and grips through the years. Although the Elk grips may be different, as I'm not sure if / how they are finished, I thought I'd let you know the method I use for wood grips, just in case you want to try it.

I prefer two part, slow cure epoxy. I've tried using various fast 5 minute / 10 minute epoxy's in the past, but the slow cure seems to work better and last longer. You just need to keep it clamped longer, and wipe up all extra very quickly so you don't get a nasty, shiny "glue line" standing out. Another reason I like slow cure is because it is more "runny" than the quick-cure stuff, which tends to be tacky after mixed. Slow cure flows almost like water, so I use a hobby syringe with a small tip to suck it up, and then slowly pull apart the crack and "inject" it into the split area. Clamp firmly, and immediately wipe away any extra that squeezed out. I let dry for a few days before un-clamping, just to make sure. With wood, any little glue-line that still exists can be brought back down to the surface with some very fine wet-dry sandpaper, followed by steel wool. However, I usually put a finish over my repair work... so this is where it may differ with the elk grips - as I'm not sure if / how they are finished. If the same as a wood grip, a few light coats of Tru-Oil and I'm done.

All the best,
    Glenn

Comment

Thank you Glenn, that's one of the recommended ways from the ol interweb, and glad to hear it works.

Comment

Working...
      X