School me on shock collars

Good brands

Brands to stay away from

And I promise to not let the wife unit use it on me

Bark collar or remote training collar?

Comment

Garmin Tri-tronics pro 550 with no complaints

Comment

We have a TruTronics Sports Basic that we use, It can work with 3 dogs at once and has a good range. It has 3 settings, buzz, momentary and constant. We have found that the buzz works 99% of the time as a reminder, use the others only as a last resort. Have a friend that is a trainer and she has a dog now that is ruined by ecollar use, it’s going to be a long time to get him back into just being a dog.

Comment

Interesting that you ask - we have 2 Schnauzers, an older one and a younger (approx. 2 yrs. old). We use the standard shock collar on the older one to help control his barking when we put them outside once we leave for work. The younger one is little - probably weighs 15 lbs., but he has gotten very vocal lately, and it leads to the older one barking and getting shocked frequently. Reluctantly, I decided to get a shock collar for the younger dog. After much research, I bought him an anti bark collar for small dogs off of Amazon. The collar has 2 different modes: training (no shock), and the shock mode. In the training mode, the collar beeps 3 times before it vibrates. Dogs don't like that vibration, and mine learned real fast that barking causes the vibration (you can vary the sensitivity). In the chock mode, the dog still gets the warning beeps and vibration, and if he keeps barking, he'll then get the shock. Smart little dog, he already learned that he can "yip" and not set the collar off, and I think a "yip" isn't going to cause problems with the neighbors. I'm thinking of getting another of these collars for our older dog.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

Not anti bark. Training shock collar

Comment

I have been using Dogtra for 15 years or so mainly because when I bought a collar for my brittany I liked their train and beep version better.

But, I know quite a few die hard Tri-Tronics guys that have switched to Dogtra since garmin bought out Tri-Tronics as they think the quality has gone down hill.

What kind of training do you want to do with it? What breed of dog?
              Last edited by El General; 03-19-2019, 07:44 AM.

Comment

I've had a Garmin sport pro for going on 4 years now with my catahoula and it has never given me a problem. We put it through hell too

Comment

Got tritronics

Learn how to use it properly and they are a good tool

I held mine in my hand and set it on low and shocked myself with it prior to putting on my lab because I wanted to know what I was doing to my dog
                  I would not say it really hurt but it made you want to get rid of it up until about half strength

Comment

Tri-Tronics used to be the best, although I've heard some of the other brands are good now too. Whatever you do, make sure you do your research on the proper way to train with them. Just putting it on and using it without knowing the right way can do more harm than good. An e-collar, when used correctly, is meant to get their attention and be mildly uncomfortable, not hurt them unless they are in danger and not responding to the lower settings.

Comment

Dogtra is the best Ive used

Comment

You cant go wrong with any of the garmin tritronics units. Just get one that will reach the desired distance for what your doing. We run coonhounds so we use the pros an trashbreakers. They function awesome regardless of thick vegetation or distance.

Comment

My wife hates wearing hers.

Comment

I've been using the Sport Dog training collars. I have a three collar kit, so I can control up to three collars from one remote; I only have two dogs in training so it works great.

Used correctly they are great, used incorrectly they can ruin a dog.

Comment

Tag

Comment

Working...
                              X