7/32” drill fits .2445 ID shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7/32” drill fits .2445 ID shafts

Just a FYI. Use 7/32” drill bit for slamming .2445 ID shaft inserts out.

Im playing insert and point weight hokey pokey on some inherited Carbon express Heritage 150s cut to 28 1/4”. I draw on my recurve 28”ish...175 grain simmons tigersharks cause me to shortdraw the way they cowl the shaft. I either leave the 12 grain insert and use 200 grain heads (paper tuned shafts between 175 stiff and 250 weak) or tweak with 100 or 50 grain brass inserts...and play more point weight hokey pokey...which is where Im going.

Ive been wanting to tune to 125 grain heads simply due to market breadth and availability...and I have a mess of inherited 125 gr Magnus Stingers. I may get there.

God bless! Have a great day Yall.
    Byron
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:16 AM.

You had better luck than i did, i tried the drill bit trick on some Black Eagle Carnivores and couldn't get the inset to budge. Then i tried heating a point up and threading it in, and ended up ruining two arrows by pulling some of the carbon wraps out.

Ultimately, i stuck with the aluminum insert and added threaded brass weights behind the insert.

Comment

Bryan...Septic tank line cleaner will chemically dissolve aluminum inserts...aka Lye... aka Sodium hydroxide. Im not sure what it does to shaft wall integrity but when I did my experiment a year ago the wall integrity didnt “appear” to have any degradation. I didnt pursue those shafts much further due being to overspined.

For this current setup:
      Unfortunately the insert came out but the epoxy...glue...didnt. My 100 grain brass inserts wouldnt fit. Goo gone didnt make the hardened glue budge. I wrapped 100 grit sandpaper around a cotton swab and got to strokin. And done. 100 gn inserts set. 125 gn points installed.

Its a good day to bareshaft.

Comment

Working...
      X