Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Ever quarter up deer and pack em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Ever quarter up deer and pack em?

So last fall we found a good piece of property in Northern Missouri to bow hunt. The terrain can be steep. Well one of the spots we found a bunch of deer in is VERY steep. We had to drag a deer about 150 feet to the truck but it was straight up. When we stopped to take a break from draggin we couldn't let go of his horns or he would have tumbled back down the "hill". We figure breaking them down and putting them in some kind of frame pack would be the way to go. I'm wondering what size pack would hold a whole deer? 50, 60 70L? Any ideas guys?

Did it before with a 60L Kelty.

Comment

300’ of auxiliary cable and winch

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
        300’ of auxiliary cable and winch
        That would attract too much attention on da public land. I thought about it though. There are other steep spots as well that are a long way from any road. The pack will be the way.

Comment

Packed out some elk like that and used what was called a Moose Bag/Freighter Frame. Basically just one huge backpack with a single pocket.

Comment

Packed out three deer this year. It’s really more a function of pack design than pack size. You can pack out and entire deer un quartered with a loud hauling designed pack. I had my 2000 cubic in bag on for each of the deer I packed.

Then when you get stuck and walk 2 miles back to the house to get the tractor, only to find out the battery is dead, you can walk back to your stuck truck and pull one of the batteries out and haul it back to the tractor in same bag.

I use Exo Mountain gear.

Comment

Get an old external frame pack and take the pack off. Strap quarters in game bags to the frame.

Comment

Moved lots of elk quarters through really rough Colorado mountains using pack frame and game bags. Young legs help as well.

Comment

Yep, look at these type of frames:https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting/h...es/c/cat100861

Get some kind of bag or strap system for it that holds a whole quarter. Strap it down tight so no load shifting on the side hill, that leads to a fall.
                  Deer can be hauled out with bones in but boning out the meat will result in fewer trips.
                  Pack framers are well used up here for lots of game.

Comment

Working...
                  X