No announcement yet.

Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any time you bring a animal the the processors if it is skined and gutted is your best option if not they will charge you a fee for cleaning and skinning usually 20-30 bucks, or you can bring it to my house and I will do it for free but the meat stays with me LOL...

Yeah there are a bunch in the area, some good and some not so good also depends what ya want done also..

Comment

wont some places give u a discount or something if you only take like half the meat and they keep the other half to sell?

Comment

NO all they will do is try and call you to let you know it is ready, if you don't come and pick it up they will usually sell it at cost after season is over, I get a lot of meat this way from the processors and a better than fair price.

Comment

oh ok, they usually just charge you by the pound for how much meat they get off the animal?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyHunter68 View Post
            oh ok, they usually just charge you by the pound for how much meat they get off the animal?
            Basic is around 70 bucks that is burger and steaks...If you want summer sausage and stuff like that they will charge you by the lb

Comment

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
              Basic is around 70 bucks that is burger and steaks...If you want summer sausage and stuff like that they will charge you by the lb
              Have you seen Spell's pics on FB...82 east page?

Comment

I process my own. It's cheaper and I actually enjoy it as part of the hunt. I throw nothing away except the entrail. The Liver and heart I give to my dogs along with the leg bones and scrappings.

Comment

where do you dispose of the entrails at?

Comment

where do you dispose of the entrails at?
                    In the field, when you field dress the critter.

Comment

What ballistic said. Then hang, cape and quarter into the cooler with lots of ice on top. Close the lid and place at enough of a angle to drain the blood and bloody water out over a week. Add ice as you go. Once it's bled out I start de-boning and grind what needs to be grinded into burger and sausage. Cut my steaks then individually vacum seal and freezer wrap. Label and date it then into the freezer it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
                        Have you seen Spell's pics on FB...82 east page?
                        yep

Comment

Originally posted by BenBen View Post
                          What ballistic said. Then hang, cape and quarter into the cooler with lots of ice on top. Close the lid and place at enough of a angle to drain the blood and bloody water out over a week. Add ice as you go. Once it's bled out I start de-boning and grind what needs to be grinded into burger and sausage. Cut my steaks then individually vacum seal and freezer wrap. Label and date it then into the freezer it goes.

Hey...we left out this part last year

Comment

AH68 if you have a good year deer processing can get expensive. Therefore I have learned to do it myself. Now when I get down to needing my burger ground and my sausage mixed I will take the boned meat in a bowl with the deer tag to Cospers or any of the other ones around town and they will grind it for you for little or nothing and just charge you for the amount of beef or pork they add for fat. Now I bought myself a good grinder last year because I went through several hogs and was tired of going to the meat market. There are several good old boys around here that will help you out if you ask.

Comment

i would like to learn how to do it myself, to me it would be more rewarding and cheaper to do it myself.

Comment

i would like to learn how to do it myself, to me it would be more rewarding and cheaper to do it myself.
                                AH68 I saw this link on here not to long ago http://www.eckrich.org/ hope it helps answer some of your questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X