Diesel Guys, school me please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel Guys, school me please

In the next few months I'm gonna be in the market for a truck. Gonna retire the half ton I have now and keep it to hunt out of snd eventually give it to my son.

I'm fairly familiar with most of what will be in my price range (25k-28k). I've owned two 5.9 Dodges, and owned a 6.0 Ford that I put 200k on before I had any problems. I'm more than likely gonna buy something pre 08 unless I find a smoking deal that I can't pass up. What I don't know is what year model 5.9 trucks in the 03-07.5 range get the best fuel mileage, are less likely to have problems, etc. Also which of the 6.7 year models have the best reputation.

I know that as far as Duramax goes, there have been a lot of different engines (LBZ, LLY, etc.). Which of these is known to be the most fuel efficient and have fewer problems? I have a good friend with an 05 that's stock. He loves the truck but can't get better than 13-14 mpg out of it.

As far as Fords go, a 7.3 is a no brainer but there are very few to be found with low miles. I'm not afraid of a 6.0, but it'll have to already have all of the stuff it needs to be reliable (head studs, oil cooler, EGR delete, etc.). I really don't know much about the 6.4's, but I've heard a lot of complaints about fuel mileage. As far as 6.7's go, I doubt that I'll find any in my price range.

What do y'all think? Chime in and help me out if ya can.

I heard the early 04 or early 05 5.9 had some issues. We have an 08 6.7 at work, it has 130k on it and its had a couple issues but nothing with the motor I don't think. The wiper motor caught fire and burned the corner under the hood right there. A sub contractor we have had an 09 and he said it got 20 mpg stock. Step dad has an 06 CC dually standard 4x4 5.9 and he had a mechanic buddy put some flash update on it and he gets 20 @ 65 mph. Uncle has a early 07 5.9, not sure what he gets mpg wise but he nor my step dad has had any problems except the flywheel on stepdads truck.

Owner of my company has an 08 ford 6.4, don't think he has had any big problems with it. Supposedly he gets 20 mpg with it but he took out all the exhaust BS. Buddy of mine has an 10 6.4 that was his work truck in the oilfield. He had a lot of problems early, mostly with electrical/computer stuff but he bought it from them when he transferred out of his position and I don't think he has had anymore problems.
    Last edited by BBReezen; 06-19-2013, 08:12 PM.

Comment

7.3 yessss! If you can find one. I'll never drive a 6.0 again. Far too many problems on far too many 6.0's.

I know nothing about the dodges except that the older they are the more reliable they seem.

Duramax is my bread and butter. I have an '04 LB7 with 230k and love it. Had to replace injectors at 175k but under warranty. The LB7 had an extended warranty on the injectors for 7 years/200k. Low mileage lb7's will probably need new injectors and the warranty should be done on all of them so figure in that cost. They do seem to get the best mileage though, especially on a non egr non cat model.

Lly's (04.5-06) seem to get slightly worse mileage but not too much worse. Throw a tune on there and you can really get those numbers up. They have few (i can only think of one but its a cheap fix and happens to all chevy trucks) widespread problems.

If you can find a classic body style 07 with the LBZ you've hit the jackpot. 360hp from the factory with a 6 speed Allison and no DPF. Again, very few problems.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Also remember that most people rely on the on board computer for their MPG. These are notoriously bad guesses and the only true MPG is hand figured.

Comment

Cant speak to much for Dodge or Ford....

The Dmax that would be my pick would be the LBZ. VIN code "D" (8th vin digit). 06'-07' classic. Anything in the 07-10 model year is going to have the DPF and has to be regenerated to burn out the soot. This is where the poor fuel milage comes from. I have had great feedback from customers on the newer trucks with the LML and LGH engines (11-13' models).

Your pals truck prolly has the LLY being an 05'.

The price range you looking to spend, I would shop real hard and find an 11 or 12' model if you could. You would have to deal with the DEF system on this year model. Unless you got it deleted. I think you would be far happier with one of the newer models. I know for that much money thats what I would look at getting if I could afford one.....

Also a good service contract is never a bad ideal on any of the newer diesels, no matter what brand. I work for a dealer and
          see the prices of these repairs. Its sometimes unreal what they cost.........

Just my .02

Comment

I just got a 01 7.3 and I like it a lot Just look around and you can get a good deal . check the classifieds on here.

Comment

6.4's get terrible mpg's but have a ton of power. If you get a dodge I would get a manual I know they have changed auto tranny's but they have still had problems with them. As far as Dmax's go 06-07 classic body style is probably the best year engines. They have the most power without the dpf crap. My GF has an 06 lbz and gets 18 usually with mixed driving and 20-21 on trips. I have a new body style 07 with all the dpf deleted and get about the same as she does maybe a little better.

Comment

Hold on wait a minute!! Your screen name is powerstroker and you're requesting advice on a diesel pickup and even mentioned Cheby and dodge. Oh man what is this world coming to

So short answer for your price range look into dodge. Don't be afraid of a 6.7 cummins from 08 to 10. The 5.9 is a no brainer and if you can find a 06 or 07 with lower miles I would grab it. The only problem I hate about the old body style dodge is the backseat is horrible so go with megacab and that will solve that problem. I highly suggest deleting an 08 6.7 if you get one cause I had problems with my emission's before I deleted it. Well they actually finally came out with an ECM flash that solved my emission problems for a year before I deleted it and programmed it. Fuel mileage on a 6.7 deleted highway only is probably between 18 and 20 but that's a guess because I get around 15 hwy with 8 inches of lift and 37's.
                Last edited by Black Ice; 06-19-2013, 08:40 PM.

Comment

x2

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                  Hold on wait a minute!! Your screen name is powerstroker and you're requesting advice on a diesel pickup and even mentioned Cheby and dodge. Oh man what is this world coming to

Comment

Well maybe he is getting smarter and starting to look at a better motor and tranny that is in the Chevy's

Comment

I drive an 07 LBZ with a few mods. Truck is by far best looking and problem free I have had. I am getting same mileage as Texas bounds girlfriend unless a someone is riding my arse or pulls up beside me in one of those other brands you spoke of. There are a few necessary mods you need to do to the dmax to extend the life. Pm me if you need help or wanna come drive mine

Comment

So short answer for your price range look into dodge. Don't be afraid of a 6.7 cummins from 08 to 10. The 5.9 is a no brainer and if you can find a 06 or 07 with lower miles I would grab it. The only problem I hate about the old body style dodge is the backseat is horrible so go with megacab and that will solve that problem. I highly suggest deleting an 08 6.7 if you get one cause I had problems with my emission's before I deleted it. Well they actually finally came out with an ECM flash that solved my emission problems for a year before I deleted it and programmed it. Fuel mileage on a 6.7 deleted highway only is probably between 18 and 20 but that's a guess because I get around 15 hwy with 8 inches of lift and 37's.
                        touché'

I haven't owned a Powerstroke in a few years. While I was in the Marines, I had a few buddies that had Dodges and one of them liked to screw with me and call me "Powerstroker". He's no longer with us, but I keep the screen name kind of as a remembrance.

Comment

Originally posted by jljjdye View Post
                          I drive an 07 LBZ with a few mods. Truck is by far best looking and problem free I have had. I am getting same mileage as Texas bounds girlfriend unless a someone is riding my arse or pulls up beside me in one of those other brands you spoke of. There are a few necessary mods you need to do to the dmax to extend the life. Pm me if you need help or wanna come drive mine
                          What tunes are you running

Comment

For duramax, stay 04.5 and up. this will keep you from the nightmare injectors on older models. Don't be scared of the 07.5s to 11s. For about $1k, you can get rid of the emissions crap, get 18-20mpg (depends on how you drive) and have more power then you should need....if there is such a thing
                            Other than the injectors, my 04 was a very solid truck. Love the older body styles

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                              X