No announcement yet.

Should I tell my neighbor.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are assuming they are " his" deer. Do they have ear tags? If so then I would have a moral obligation to tell him. His attitude would be the driving factor if he got them back or not.
    No ear tags, then there would not be any way of knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
      It really depends on the neighbor and why he put up the high fence. A lot of times it is because they may want to introduce specific genetics and/or purchase bigger deer for their benefit and they spent money doing so. If you have a low fence chances are you have not done that. A specific type of fence is designed for specific types of animals and therefore showing consideration is never the wrong thing to do. Again, what is there to loose?

Only one way to find out. Maybe he'll invite you over to hunt some of his superiorly genetic deer. What would you loose?

EDIT: Saw the response from landowner. EXACTLY why some of us said to let him know. Nothing to loose but a great relationship can be started. Especially if the landowner is not there full time. He feels much better knowing he has a neighbor who will keep an eye on things and let him know what's going on. That little act of courtesy has now provided the OP with some great opportunities. For what? A simple conversation with a neighbor.
      Point taken but everyone made it seem like the op would be a bad guy for not saying anything..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        So what about this 190" buck with a ear tag. How many of you state farm agents would shoot it if it walked out in front of you. Knowing it escaped. Are you going to capitalize on the moment of a lifetime by dropping the hammer. Or are you going to try and find out who he belongs to?

Before you answer:

Keep in mind how many lifelong friendships have been broken up over big deer. Big deer that where shot on the same ranch,under one fence that everyone had the same rights too. I know of a few myself.
        Big deer make grown men get greedy and act like complete idiots.

So would you shoot or report it.?
        what ear tag??

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          what ear tag??
          HELLO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter8213 View Post
            Wow! I never anticipated a response like this.

I did in fact contact the gentleman earlier today and to my surprise, he was quite happy with my call. He was aware he had fence problems and figured a few deer got out. He doesn't hunt apparently, just has them there to look at.

I spoke to him about the donated hunts we are doing and he even offered up some exotic animals to possibly harvest.

He did tell me, it was nice to have neighbors that he could trust and depend on which was nice to hear. He even wished us well trying to harvest the bucks that got out!
            After reading this, I would help him get them back.

Comment

I would tell him, it's not like he is gonna get them back. Plus it could start a friendship where he invites you over to hunt his side of the fence.

Comment

Why is everyone making this such a big deal?
                IMO the courteous this would be to tell the guy, who knows the guy may even let you hunt the property.
                But I'm not going to say your a bad person for not telling him, I certainly wouldn't feel obligated to. If he missed the deer so much he would have talked to his neighbors about it. Since he hasn't it seems that he doesn't care that much so it's obviously not that big of a deal.

Comment

As far as I knew it, NO person breeder or otherwise owns any of the whitetail deer (native) Texas. Therefor he never owned any to lose. Is this not correct?

Dont get me wrong it would be the right thing to say something to him.

Comment

Originally posted by stang_j_99 View Post
                    As far as I knew it, NO person breeder or otherwise owns any of the whitetail deer (native) Texas. Therefor he never owned any to lose. Is this not correct?

Dont get me wrong it would be the right thing to say something to him.
                    I don't know anything about buying and raising deer, are you telling me that no matter where or how you got whitetail deer that they belong to the state ? I find that hard to believe but maybe that is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                      So what about this 190" buck with a ear tag. How many of you state farm agents would shoot it if it walked out in front of you. Knowing it escaped. Are you going to capitalize on the moment of a lifetime by dropping the hammer. Or are you going to try and find out who he belongs to?

Before you answer:

Keep in mind how many lifelong friendships have been broken up over big deer. Big deer that where shot on the same ranch,under one fence that everyone had the same rights too. I know of a few myself.
                      Big deer make grown men get greedy and act like complete idiots.

So would you shoot or report it.?
                      If I had a high fence place bordering me I would not hesitate to call them instead of shooting. If there wasnt a high fence place around me for miles leaving me no leads on who to contact about it then he goes on my wall FOR SURE. The fact that you know or have an idea where it came from is what matters in my opinion. Doesnt make me right ya know

Comment

I would tell him if he had a hole in the fence cause it the right thing to do. As far as telling him there may be whitetail on your property, I say so what ever you want. I would tell him if the deer had tags but other than that I think your wasting your time.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                          I don't know anything about buying and raising deer, are you telling me that no matter where or how you got whitetail deer that they belong to the state ? I find that hard to believe but maybe that is the case.
                          Last I heard you cant OWN a texas whitetailed deer. Its a native game aminal. Now I have been wrong before......

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis Stafford View Post
                            Honor and integrity! Where do you stand?
                            I guess I don't see where integrity comes into play here. So you tell the guy that the deer he had behind his fence are on your place now? Deer that belong to the state regardless of how they got there in the 1st place. You gonna let the guy come onto your place to chase them around and run all the native deer into the next county? Or disturb the area that you are paying to hunt because his fence failed?

Some of you guys have a very high amounts of Internet integrity

Comment

It happens... If his fence was down, he knows deer got out! Watch them grow and whack you one.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG IRON View Post
                                I guess I don't see where integrity comes into play here. So you tell the guy that the deer he had behind his fence are on your place now? Deer that belong to the state regardless of how they got there in the 1st place. You gonna let the guy come onto your place to chase them around and run all the native deer into the next county? Or disturb the area that you are paying to hunt because his fence failed?

Some of you guys have a very high amounts of Internet integrity

Comment

Working...
                                X