Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > History/Traditions > John "Tuthdoc" Lee Threads

Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #101
kkyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
First Good Buck

November 2004, and this is my favorite hunt of all-time. I had not killed a deer with my bow in 2 or 3 seasons and I was having terrible luck. I shot over a deer or two, and I had shot under a deer or 2.

John told me in his own subtle way that maybe I should start coming to some 3D shoots with him. Which actually meant, maybe if you practiced a little more you might hit one!!! So the summer before that season I shot every 3D shoot with John & Mark. We even travelled to Jasper and shot in a shoot. My confidence was pretty high.

John filmed a 9 pointer the last weekend of October that he told me he probably should have shot, he was 4.5 and probably scored in low 20's. He also told me that he really thought I would shoot that deer on sight, and I would probably be very proud to hang that buck on my wall.

John dropped me off at "The Palace" and told me the same words he told me before every hunt, "Drill One..." I got settled in my blind about 30 minutes before sun up. The feeder spun, and deer instantly poured in. I am guessing about 8:30 or so that 9 point wandered in. John was correct, I wanted him bad. I had a tree that was 15 yards out of my left shooting hole that I corned behind so the deer would eat and I could draw. When I got my first VE, Tyge (Fulldraw) coined that tree the "Kerrville Blindfold" which is what John and I called those types of trees from that day forward.

He settled behind that tree and started eating, and I drew my bow and steadied my pin. I released the arrow and smoked that hoss. I videoed the hunt and I replayed it about 100 times to confirm exactly where I hit him. Right behind the shoulder through 2 lungs.

I sat back in my chair, as hard as that was, and waited. About 30 seconds later it started raining, looking back on it now, it was no more than a drizzle, but I thought I would surely loose my blood-trail. I grabbed my video camera and started running down the road to John...

I cleared the first hill and the truck wasn't there. Where did he park it? I cleared the second hill and still no truck. What the heck was he thinking? I cleared the third hill, and there was the truck, just beyond the 4th hill. I could have murdered him. He parked down at the intersection of our 2 roads, which was way closer to his spot. I am sure he did that just to make sure I would have a good hunt, even though it greatly reduced his chance of a seeing a shooter. Again just another example of him wanting success for everyone else, that is all he ever thought about.

Well I drive up to his feeder just about 9, and he immediately knows I had shot something. John screamed, "Did you get him Matt?" I yelled back, "I drilled one Paw-In-Law!!!" He busted out of that blind and wanted to see that video, and he watched it one time and said, "Yep, Drill Job... He ain't going far!!!"

We went back to the area, and I started looking for sign, and my arrow, just like he had taught me. Well he decided to walk ahead and look for the deer, which he found. My buck had rounded the corner and went no more than 50 yards, he was dead in a bald open field. Meanwhile, I find my arrow, and the sign on the arrow looks good, but I find nothing where I shoot my buck except 2 little drops of blood.

So I drop to my hands and knees, again something he taught me. He then says, "Matt sometimes when you hit a deer good like you did on this guy, you need to come ahead and check the trail for bigger, better sign." The whole time I am thinking, he has never said that before, and that makes no sense to me. I stay on my hands and knees and continue looking for sign, I am still inching forward, not knowing John is looking at my buck.

He tells me again, "Matt sometimes you need to just forget what you know, and just check ahead for bigger, better sign!!!" I promptly tell him (because now I am getting upset with him), "John are you going to help me or not, because if you say no, I'll just find him on my own!!!" He then said, "Would you please just come here and look at this, I found some big sign!!!"

I walk to where John is standing, and I see my buck laying "dead as a door nail" in the middle of this field. He found him within 15 seconds of getting on the scene, but he strung me along for about 15 minutes. I didn't know whether to hug him or punch him in the mouth. He deserved both!!! LOL

Jubilation set in, and we hugged. I thanked him for dragging me along everywhere he went, for making me practice every day, and for being such a great Paw-In-Law. I found out that Sunday that Jennifer was pregnant, which meant he was going to be a Paw-Paw.

Definitely a life-changing weekend, and one I am going to cherish as long as I walk this earth. Best buck of my hunting career to that point, and finding out John and I were going to have a little hunting buddy, it doesn't get any better than that.
Matt, since he did that to you I feel I should tell another story on John.
Bobby used to drive a van with shag carpet and John gave him heck all the time about the girls and carousing in that van. We were up at Dam B camping with his family when John got to rummaging around in the back of the "shagmobile". To Bobby's dismay, John popped out of the van with a pair of pink panties on his head, we all cracked up and Bobby turned red as a beet.
Fast forward four hours, we're sitting on a pier fishing, people were giggling at us when they past by and John just couldn't figure it out. Turns out, some of us didn't tell him he forgot to take the panties off his head and he had been sporting a lacy head apparel all day.
Bobby walked up, cracked up, John said "what?". That was when Bobby pointed to his head, you've never seen a faster movement in your life.
You guys that know John know how red he got when he was upset....he was crimson, with that wide smile.
  Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #102
z70what
Nubbin' Buck

Ive known John, Bobby. and Mark for along time now and they have always been like uncles to me atleast for the younger years of my life. I remember along time ago when John had his office in Channelview, and i was like 12 my mom made my app. and i was nervous cuz i had been dippin for about a year and my parents didnt know, needless to say he noticed and he let me know real quick that he wasnt happy with my dissicion, with a stern talkin to... afterwards he just looked at me and grined and said i guess your followin in your dads footsteps. At that moment i knew he was tellin my dad and if you know my dad i was in for it. Day past and even months and John never told him, could be the reason im here to tell the story. As far as huntin goes ive never seen a man hunt like him and the second the deer hit camp he knew just how old the deer was. I only hunted when i was younger but when some one would kill a young buck just cuz it had a nice score John would just look and say "nice buck kinda young though" now im 26 and I wish i could of spent more time with the Lee boys and my dad cuz they had so much to offer a young man on life and on the outlook of hunting. Mark and Bobby my prayers are with yall as well as the rest of the family. If yall need anything dont hesitate to call my dad has my number.
chris h.
z70what is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #103
Archery1st
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Tx / Lampasas County, Tx / Union County, NM

Anyone else keep checking this thread for more stories?

The Shagmobile and pink panties was classic!!!!
Archery1st is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #104
dog
Four Point

To start this I'm not a speller, writer,are a story teller but this is what I got.

Don't remember the first time I meet John. First time I remember talking to him was I had been stung by a honey bee on the wrist and sworn up bad. Mark says call John he will know what to do. His stateman DON'T GET STUNG AGAIN.

One of the first hunts with him was a duck hunt in the lake behine mine and Marks house. We was standing in waist deep water when I had a gold cap come out. I pulled it out and ask what I needed to do. His stateman DON'T LOSE IT. Later on it cost me a dozen arrows to get it replaced. This was in the early years.

Sense then we have been thousands of miles together hunting and fishing and just haveing fun. with John there was aways something fun going on.

One of the most memable one was we were hunting in New Mexico on Sept. 11, 2001. We were in elk that morning he set up to call I was to shot. All we could shot was cows (that was the only tags me and him could draw) we had a cow broke off come to us. I got drawn and held and held till she give me a broad side shot at 20 yds just as i released I jerked my 70 yd pin up and sent the arrow 30 ft over he backand almost hit a bull in the butat 90 yds. He looked at me and said are you shooting at the bull. I say NO He say you set NOARC ( could never say the word much less spell it) off with that shot. He starts calling again and she comes back and I shot under her pull hair out with the vanes. I thow my bow down and lay down and say I quit. John starts laughing and the elk leave. Wwe then go take pics of my 90 yd cedar tree and my 30 yd pine and have big laughs just looked at pics. When we got back to camp we learned of the World Trade Center.

I got to sink a boat and starded on and island with John and Bobby. ( He called this the three motor trip with only two motors)

I had the honor to set in blinds with him and ever got to see him make kills ( not harves) of deer in the early years of me going to the Junco with them.

There is not enough tme are space for all storys and good time to be wrote.

Will miss the storys
will miss the fun
Will miss him telling everone I have my snake boots on anytime I put shoes on.
Will miss him making me want to hide when he would start his dog storys with stargers.

BUT MOST OF ALL I WILL MISS MY BROTHER GO WITH LO0VE AND SAVE ME A PLACE
dog is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #105
BaylorCoBowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Seymour/Baylor County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery1st View Post

Sure do. These are some great stories that give a different glimpse into John's great personality for those of us that never had the opportunity to spend time with him.

Thanks for sharing your stories during such a difficult time. Keep 'em comin' and God bless!
BaylorCoBowhunter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #106
Rockpit TX
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archery1st View Post

Yes and I read every one. Not only has his closest friends and family taken the time to help us know TD better, but in TD's own way he has brought quite a few nubbin bucks to the fire. I hope they find what TD found here. A WHOLE NOTHER FAMILY. Welcome all, and hope you stick around
Rockpit TX is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #107
Joey~AP
Administrator

Hunt In: Texas

Thanks for the story, Dog!

Be strong!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Joey~AP is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #108
Double L
Pope & Young

Kyle, Jim, Tommy, Bobby and Matt thanks for your posts. Having had my Dad torn from my life by a heart attack, I know how important these posts and talking about the good times are in the healing process.

Mark, you are right about all the brothers that you have here on TBH. I hope to one day meet you all and shake your hands. Heck, a group hunt would be even better. Maybe one day...that's what I always said about John. Maybe someday I can go on that Axis hunt or come visit him "somewhere just south of Dallas"...maybe someday.

Did John have flaws? Of course he did. He couldíve not been so hard headed and go to the dang doctor for regular check-ups. Are you doing that by the way? Iím planning on it now.

Good point Jim. I have wondered about this issue with John since his death. What symptoms did he have or did he ignore? I had a Dr's appt yesterday and have just experienced some left back pain that had radiated down into my arm. I think that I strained something Saturday while doing some yard work but rather than ignore it, I brought it up to my Dr. I told him about John's heart attack and told him it really hit hard. He checked me out and after I have some minor surgery next month and recover from that, he will set up a stress test for me. I have gone thru one before after my Dad's death but it has been years.

Who knows if John's heart problem would have been detected? It may have just been his time. Either way, everyone on here should be aware of what their body is telling them and take action. Mark and Bobby, since heart disease can be hereditary, I hope that you both will get checked out soon if you have not been doing so already.

Sorry for the rant but this hit so close to home for me and brought back so many memories of my Dad's sudden death.

God Bless each of you and thanks again for the stories. They are helping all of us to heal the wounds left by John's untimely death.
Double L is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #109
HC Sniper
Ten Point

Never got to meet Tuthdoc, but enjoyed reading his post and learning as much as I could from his insight. You could tell that he was well respected on this site. I feel for you Mailman. RIP John. May we one day meet in heaven.
HC Sniper is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #110
Roy D Mercer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell and Rusk County
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death from Above View Post
I can thank John for turning me onto this site. Probably 10+ years ago we both frequented eders.com forums. At the time it was the only hunting forum I knew about. Through our posts he turned me on over here and I aint looked back.....

Gonna miss your post John, but the company you keep now has us beat hands down.

Yep Eders was my first recollection of John. That had to be 1999 or 2000. I remember when John was getting Mailman rigged with his first bow. I remember thinking how lucky this young dude is to have his father-in-law (or father-in-law to be) getting him a bow.

DFA do you rembemer when John got into it with the owner of Muzzy? I don't rember exactly what got John all stirred up but it had something to do with mechs and the Muzzy slogan BAD TO THE BONE. Only time I can recall John getting a little ruffed up. Bottom line was don't mess with John's mechs and don't tell him that a Muzzy would break through bones.

What does it say about a man that I never met but find myself thinking about him several times a day? Rest in peace.........Roy D
Roy D Mercer is online now   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #111
Brannon74
Pope & Young

Hunt In: sw oklahoma

Great stories. Thanks for sharring. God Bless John and his family.
Brannon74 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #112
Gold
Eight Point

All of the above stories have made me laugh and smile through my tears. It's funny how you don't realize just how much you'll miss someone until they're gone. I also have too many memories and stories to type up and put on here, but you can bet I won't forget them....

I posted this on a different thread but thought I would put it here also:

Mark, Bobby, Matt, and all of the family,

I embrace all of you with a big hug! I am so sad and hurt deeply for your loss and mine. I have learned so much from John over the past years from being with him at our lease in San Angelo, to all those 3D shoots with him at Banana Bend, to just calling him to get his advice! He was my good friend and I will miss him very much!

I remember the first time I met him. I had never turkey hunted and he was to be my guide, caller, and instructor. I could tell by the way he answered all (and you know me I had a lot) of my questions, that he loved the whole experience of the hunt and didn't have to pull the trigger to get enjoyment. He loved to share his knowledge and passion as much as he did going hunting by himself.

We got a turkey that hunt and he was pumped cause we did it the traditional way, by walking and calling till we got a response. He got me set up to shoot and then he got in some brush behind me and started calling. In came two long beards and after I shot one he was grinning from ear to ear at my/our success. I knew then that I wanted to spend a lot more time with this man!!! I even changed from my local dentist to him and drove way farther so I could hear his stories while he worked on my teeth.

A part of him will be with me forever, as well as with many others whose lives he touched by sharing his love of the outdoors and passion for hunting. I don't want to think about what it will be like this fall without him around camp. But, his teachings will be with me on every hunt and all my great memories of him will make me smile and bring me comfort.

John, I will miss you.....
Rest in Peace
Gold is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #113
Archery1st
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Tx / Lampasas County, Tx / Union County, NM

Robyne - we got nuttin but time please feel free to share more when you find the time or feel the need.
Archery1st is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #114
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion County

Thanks for sharing Robyne...we are here for you.
Bone Thug is online now   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #115
mboltm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Thanks to all of you for giving us more insight of a man we all wished we knew better, RIP Doc
mboltm is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #116
crittergitter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: rocksprings,dam-b

roybne just always remember when hunting. WWJD

what
would
john lee
do
crittergitter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #117
cheez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet and Wilbarger Counties

I posted this in one of the other threads but thought I would put it here also since others had a similar experience.

I went for a very long time, years, thinking John's screen name was Truthdoc. It just seemed to fit. Everything he spoke was the truth.

I have more respect for John than any other person I have never met. Reading all of these stories from friends and family that did know him just reinforces that. Thank you all.
cheez is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #118
BIG D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Zavala County

Never got to meet Doc in person but just looked back at some of my old PM's and among all the things I agreed with him on, he and I sure could talk a lot about expandable broadheads. Sure will miss all of the great posts and knowledge he shared on here. Funny how people that we only know from the green screen, can be such a big part of our lives. You will be missed.
BIG D is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #119
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River Co. Texas

one thing i learned from tuthdoc was forget the wind and hunt, he will be missed and i onlyknew him from his post here on TBH
arrowslinger is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #120
aironeout
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen,and DeWitt Co.

Just now getting aroung to reading all of the tributes and stories and I can tell you that the "onions" are really bad in my computer room tonight. About the time that I think that I am use to them they seem to get a little stronger and my eyes start watering again. Keep the stories and tributes coming because my tearducts need a good flushing.

R.I.P. John "tuthdoc" Lee. My TBH idol, "deerdoc" and superhero.
>E
aironeout is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #121
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

I have read all the stories here and really enjoyed them. Most of y'all have read this hunt of John's last year on his Axis quest but for those who haven't, indulge yourself.

This is how you get it done.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=44121
Johnny is online now   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #122
4feathers
Four Point

Hunt In: Runnels, Pacos, Schleicher

I met tuthdoc in an archery shop many years back and he invited me to a shoot at banana bend. There I ran into the rest of the familyand all were shooting compounds and I was shooting a recurve. I shot with John ,Mark, Bobby and a few others. This shoot led to more shots then some hunts. The one hunt that strays with there was 11 of us on the hunt at Bandera on a weekend of the horse races and after we had hunted all day we went ot get a room in town and there was only one room this two beds. We stacked all of us into the room for the night it of terrable but a hunt I will not forger

Thanks Doc I'll miss you much
4feathers is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #123
thebomb6_99
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Alaska, Killeen TX, New Mexico, Arizona

God Bless John and his family. He will be missed
thebomb6_99 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #124
Jet Black
Ten Point

Hunt In: n/a

I, like many others, have been away from the board since early last week. Didn't see the stickies in my initial browsing of the campfire. Stumbled onto one of the tribute threads and my mind started racing. I though, "surely tuthdoc is ok?"

I immediately searched the board and saw the stickies. My heart immediately sank.

How could it be that the passing of a man I never met could make me so emotional? I teared up in my cubicle reading the updates from the Mailman. Like many have said, he was my hero on here.

tuthdoc represented everything that is right about this board.

The knowledge he shared, and more imporantly the way he shared it was invaluable. He seemed to have such joy for life. I've looked at every tuthdoc thread since I've been on here. I would read anything the man had to say. When he commented on a thread I made, I would be so excited and proud!

I can't even imagine what Mailman and those that knew him must be going through. Just feel lucky to have been his friend. I wish I had been.

RIP tuthdoc. My heart goes out to Mailman and family.
Jet Black is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #125
ILUVBIGBUCKS
Four Point

Hunt In: LaSalle & Wilson Counties

I don't even know where to start this. I logged on and saw these three threads and couldn't believe what I was reading. I, like so many others have already said, couldn't keep my eyes dry reading through each and every post.

It's hard to believe the emotions and outpooring of love that has been spread across these pages from people that never had the opportunity to meet this man in person, me included. That in itself says what kind of may he was. I, like so many others have said, am unbelievably jealous that I did not get the chance to meet him and share a camp fire.

God bless him and may he rest in peace. May every morning dawn crisp and clear for him, frost coming from the mouth of the old, smart buck that he's once again outsmarted. May his arrow fly true and his spirit live on forever with his family, personal friends, and all the GS family that will miss him sorely.

God bless his family and friends and may he provide comfort to them in this most difficult time.

Rest in peace John, I will meet you in the ultimate pasture some day, and we will most certainly share a hunt together.
ILUVBIGBUCKS is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #126
dflores

Default In our prayers...

I went to the viewing tonite for John and was absolutely amazed at the large turnout. When I left at 8pm, there were people still showing up! John touched the hearts of so many people and will be missed dearly. Hunting on the axis lease and hunting at the Junco will not be the same without John there.

Our prayers are with the entire Lee family.
  Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #127
Mark44
Pope & Young

Hunt In: lease - SW Arkansas; Delphos, KS

I'm part of the unfortunate bunch that never got to shake his hand but I appreciated his wisdom and kind words as I got started bow hunting and posted a million (dumb) questions. he will be missed so much!
Mark44 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #128
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
From Bownanza VI

Attachment 98070
I had exchanged many a PM and e-mail with Doc prior to Bownanza VI, but that very spot in that very picture is the 1st time I met him. I sat on the ground and listened to him talk, taking in every word he said and hoping to learn something else new from him.

Kinda weird to see that picture now, it seems just like it was yesterday.

I still do not even know what to say.
TexasCanesFan is online now   Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #129
Joey~AP
Administrator

......as found on the handout at John's funeral.

Hunters Prayer

Dear Lord,

May all hunters be blessed with your grace,
To all who wonder the fields and forests,
May you guide them safely back to camp.

Thank you for the blessings of venison meat.
Let the hunters always remember it is a goft from you.

Thank you also for the hunting knowledge,
fellowship and outdoor experiences you give the hunters.
May they always remember these blessings from you.

Amen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Old 05-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #130
ezed3354
Six Point

First let me give my condolences to the family. When I opened the website this morning and discovered Tuthdoc's passing I was in shock. I immediately called Triple Edge Archery to get some insight. My first contact with Tuthdoc was through my friend and hunting partner John Wills. We were both new to bow hunting and fascinated with the new mechanical broadheads. John told me of this guy named Tuthdoc that was posting on Eders. I also discovered him on Archery Talk. This was long before I even knew of TBH. I would read his threads and thought this guy is on the ball and so informative. I finally decided to send him a PM via Archery Talk and he not only responded, but gave me an in depth answer to my question. An answer that I still have to today. He also answered questions for me about ground blind hunting. In spite of all this nothing was as great as to finally getting to meet him and shake his hand and thank him for his advice. I had the pleasure of sitting down with him and his brother on numerous occasions while we were at Triple Edge Archery. Heck, he was even there on the day Sam and his crew outfitted my wife with her bow offering advice and jokes. I will miss him. He was not only a knowledgable man but a nice person, too! We need more people like him.
ezed3354 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #131
Lethal Injection
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nowhere, her lawyer was better

The first and only time I got to meet John was back in the early 80's in a bass fishing club that my dad was a member (San Jacinto Black Bass), I never saw him again until I became a member of this site before the computer crash. I would like to think that I am a pretty good judge of character and for the man to stick in my mind after one meeting 20+ years ago he had to be a great man, his posts on this site will be greatly missed and the great state of Texas just took a step back.
Lethal Injection is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #132
Joey~AP
Administrator

Name:  TD1.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  1.7 KB

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #133
mboltm
Pope & Young

Joey, Thanks for letting me hang with you last night. dflores, I was trying to respond to you last night when we shut down, Sorry I did not get to meet you, Mailman, I am sorry I could not make it today, but I will always look up to you, it was great seeing the folks I knew and even better meeting new ones even know it was not good circumstances. I will always cherish meeting the LEE brothers, You guys rock . Mrs Lee was ALLSOME, I wish she would post the stories she was tellin. RIP DOC
Old 05-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #134
Gold
Eight Point

I got a couple....

Name:  P1000124 (Medium).JPG
Views: 530
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  P1000127 (Medium).JPG
Views: 526
Size:  75.2 KB
Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #135
mboltm
Pope & Young

Great stuff Gold, My pleasure to meet you last night
Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #136
Gold
Eight Point

Same here, Matt!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #137
b-dog
Four Point

This was so sad. I was shocked when I herd Tuthdoc died. I only got to meet Tuthdoc at this year's Bownaza. (I stole his name tag) It filled my heart with joy and sadness when I returned his name tag to one of his daughters. (Witch made her cry) I loved the story from one of John's brothers, about how on a Saturday morning his brothers would wake him up early and told him it was a school day. He would even end up on the curb in front of the house waiting for the bus. I also enjoyed meeting Mailman. I loved the story about the first time he met John, he backed up into the mailbox in the front yard! HA HA HA!!!!!!! The funeral was amazing!!!!!
b-dog is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #138
Legdog
Pope & Young

I don't know how to end this day. It is so difficult to let go.

After the funeral the girls and I went to our family cemetery in Schulenburg where we continued to reflect on the day.

Name:  Goodbye John.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  93.6 KB

Blaine told me, "everytime I meet people from Texasbowhunter.com I gain a new friend. This time it was Mailman."

While today was emotional and sad, we also saw something that really impressed me. As Matt spoke over his beloved father in law, he seemed to grow right before our eyes. There's no question that he's ready to embrace a new role of leadership in the family alongside John's own brother's. As a member of the "extended family" who knew John only from his association with TBH, I found this very comforting.
Legdog is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2009, 12:54 AM   #139
R.L.Erdmann

I rarely if ever post on forums but I have to admit TBH has kept me entertained and up to date for many a collective hour. I apologize for taking and not giving back, but I can't think of a better way to loose my green screen cherry than by posting a few remembrances that I have of John. I may be long winded and I for sure type slow so I'll have to do them in segments starting with the first time I met John Lee.
Some 20+ years ago I managed the archery department in a small sporting goods store on the east side of town near Channelview called Magnum. Some of you may remember. John used to frequent the store and hang out with the guys in the fishing department. At that time he was bass fishing hot and heavy and would come in and spin tales with the other fishermen. Even before officially meeting him I liked listening to his story telling from afar.
One day business was slow and I guess he thought I looked bored so he walked over and started a conversation with me. He said that he had tried bowhunting some years ago but had gotten a bad taste of it and thought that he couldn't be proficient enough with the equipment of that time to humanely harvest an animal. He said when technology improved enough that even he could shoot a bow accurately he might give it a try again. Being a salesman I informed him that the day was here. I think he saw right thru me.
A few days go by and he wandered over to the archery department again and said show me the best you have. I told him I could do better than that, I'd let him shoot the best I had and he could make up his own mind whether technology had improved. An hour or so later the sale was made with the understanding that I couldn't promise to make a bowhunter out of him but I could certainly make a bow owner out of him. He just cracked that big smile and snickered.
As weeks rolled into months he had been coming in to shoot his bow and absorb information almost every day at lunch. He very quickly became very good and I began to realize just how dedicated he had become to his new sport. His fishing stories had now turned into hunting stories and I was now the one trying to absorb all I could. He talked of how he and his brother Bobby had done some guiding for deer for an outfitter named Robert Rogers in past years. Most of those stories are long since forgotten by me, but I do remember plucking a book from it's shelf one night that was titled The Professionals Guide to Whitetail by Robert Rogers. Inside was a full page picture of Dr. John Lee with a beautiful 160" buck taken in the early 1980s. He'd never mentioned it.
Johns mannerism and attitude about everything from hunting and fishing to life in general was quite simply amazing and quite amazingly simple. I really looked forward to his daily visits. I learned from him all my thick head would allow in. We shared a few hunts together and even a fishing trip before we drifted apart and our daily talks became more of an annual after season phone call or a yearly dentist visit.
To the Lee family, as I watched my friend being laid to rest today, a friend that was a small but very significant part of my life, I couldn't begin to imagine how much my grief would have to be magnified to match that of someone who had the pleasure of calling this man husband or dad or brother or as Matt called him, paw inlaw. He will surely be missed by all.
  Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #140
Sr_Egor
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

I really enjoyed reading all the stories and memories. Some made me laugh, some made me cry and Legdog, your photo and story with your daughter and TDís nametag was very touching. Thanks to all for sharing.

Iíve sat down several times to type a little something about tuthdoc, but could never find the right words to honor him. Like many of you, I never met Mr. Lee in person. I PMíd him several times about deer management, protein feeding and axis deer. He was always prompt, precise and polite. Iím sure his passion for hunting, willingness to offer knowledge and his reputation on TexasBowhunter.com was a reflection of the way he lived his life, loved his family and his eagerness to help others. Iíve never learned so much from someone I never met and I have never seen someone so highly regarded among his peers (many having never met him) as John. On all the ďage and scoreĒ threads I would always look for tuthdocís answer to see how close I was to his. If I was within +/- 9 points of his score I was elated! The TBH community lost a fantastic bowhunter, great mentor and great steward of our sport. The world lost a magnificent man. His family lost so much more. May God bless his family, I pray the Lord will comfort you all and I pray yíall will find continued peace in the memories and sport John was so passionate about. It seems he touched the lives of everyone he came in contact with. Truly one of a kind. He definitely made this world a better place.
Sr_Egor is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2009, 02:18 AM   #141
Homeyllama

Default Jdl

Let me first start off by saying I was born an only child, I had no concept of brothers, until I meet the Lee's. I meet them in 1990 and my life has been changed forever. There seemed to be an unspoken bond, a knowing between them that was strange to me. When I had no clue as to what was going on, they seemed to have all the answers.
I was taken under their wing and shown the ways of life, I will never forget the lessons I learned by just watching the way they spent time together. I will always love them for that.
I saw John get angry twice, once at the Blockhouse when the guys down the road were mouthin off at his brothers, and at a huntin show as this fellow started talkin about the training wheels on his bow...Both times I was glad I was on HIS side.
John was the closest thing I had to a big brother and I will miss him. To Mark,Bobby, Matt,Jeff,and John, I miss ya'll and will see ya down the road....
  Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2009, 03:16 AM   #142
CletusBodeen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorten

As with everyone else, I would like to purchase a couple of those stickers for my bows to pay tribute and respect.

I met tuthdoc at nanza this year, shook his hand. We only spoke for a minute and I mingled on as it was my first nanza and I wanted to meet as many new brothers as possible in the short time I was there. I feel honored to have met him in person and will greatly miss his posts.

Thanks to all that knew him beter than the rest of us for sharing your memories as tough as it may be. May Tuthdoc Rest In Peace. I will continue to pray for his family and friends so they can find some comfort in their hearts.
CletusBodeen is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2009, 06:43 AM   #143
Rockpit TX
Banned!!!

Mary will announce how to get the TD stickers in the next day or two. Shes out of town till tomorrow. But they will be made available shortly
Old 05-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #144
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Awesome stuff guys. Thanks for sharing.
Tmag is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #145
Rockpit TX
Banned!!!

I have heard about TD's up and down method to age deer but I havent been able to locate any thread that explains it. Can anyone help with a link
Old 05-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #146
Rsatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bowie, Lasalle County.

Welcome, R.L. and Homey. Thanks for the stories.

Glad ya'll joined us.

Lotta Good Folks Here.
Rsatt is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #147
crittergitter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: rocksprings,dam-b

it would be neat if everybody went through their files and posted all the pictures of john lee they had on here
crittergitter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #148
Homeyllama

Good idea, and I got some real winners for Tuthdoc pics... Matt, whould it be possible to put the vidio ya'll made of John on youtube and link it here so everyone gets a chance to see what a great life and great person he really is?
  Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #149
Rockpit TX
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeyllama View Post
Good idea, and I got some real winners for Tuthdoc pics... Matt, whould it be possible to put the vidio ya'll made of John on youtube and link it here so everyone gets a chance to see what a great life and great person he really is?
X2
Old 05-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #150
Mailman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County
Default Tuthdoc Video

I actually spoke to Mary yesterday for just a couple moments after the service, and I am going to send her a copy of the slide-show. She is going to post a link to the slide-show under the history section where they have all of John's threads archived...
Mailman is online now   Back To The Top