Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > History/Traditions > John "Tuthdoc" Lee Threads

Old 02-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
tuthdoc
Ten Point

Default Pole Feeder...Here you go Mark

I promised I'd take pics of one of my pole feeders. Surprise is that I actually remembered.

I've used Straight Shooters on these until this last year. Some of them have run for years, others are very unreliable. Also the blades are rubber and wear out. The unit on this PF is a Moultrie. It's digital and has been very reliable, the only thing I worry about is that the deer and cows can lick corn out with their tongues. Hasn't been a problem....yet. I've switched to the Remington Directional and I think it's going to solve all problems. Seems to be very well made and I don't think anything can get to the corn while it's in the unit.

I hope the pics answer your questions. I've attached a PVC sch 40 that's just big enough to slide over my EMT that I use to hold the feeder. It's the size EMT under 2 inches that will slide over a T post. The PVC may be 2 inches. You can see a slot cut into the PVC at the bottom. There's a hole drilled in the EMT above the level of the T post that I use a tent post stake to set the height of the feeder and the slot keeps the feeder from turning.

The T post is driven in the ground a good ways to keep it from leaning. The feeder unit then goes over the T post. I then slide the EMT over the T and in the PVC. I can fill the feeder and then slide it up the EMT and anchor it with the tent stake. That's an oil pan with bungees for the lid. If I have my Ranger and can get to the feeder, then I just set it up and fill it from the Ranger. That's easier. good thing is that I can set it up in remote areas and it's easy to fill or just add one bag if I don't know how long I'll use it in one spot. T's can be left in case I want to come back some time in the future and set the pole feeder up and hunt the area again.

Attachment 23690

Attachment 23691

Attachment 23692

Attachment 23693

Attachment 23694

Attachment 23695

Attachment 23696

Attachment 23697

Last edited by tuthdoc; 08-05-2008 at 10:08 PM..
tuthdoc is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Do you kill deer out of that blind with it exposed like that? Does it stay out all season long?
oktx is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
HubCityThumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry County, sofa

good looking set.
HubCityThumper is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
tuthdoc
Ten Point

I killed this one last year. 8 1/2 yo shot at about 16 yards. 140+ 10.

Attachment 23703

Here's another mature buck. At least 6 1/2. You notice the fork in the mesquite? That's evident in my Pole Feeder thread.

Attachment 23704

Attachment 23705

The first buck was killed from that same blind and the second buck is a deer I named Cocktail. He COULD have been killed from that blind. I probably had 15 or more different bucks within 16 yards last year. The morning I killeed that 10, I had to wait for a buck to move that was standing about 6 yards in front of my blind.

Don't believe everything you hear and read.

Last edited by tuthdoc; 08-05-2008 at 10:08 PM..
Old 02-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Ricky T
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity Riverbottom

I pooh-poohed the directional feeders at first. The more I think about them the more possibilities I can come up with. Thanks for the pictures, Doc.
Ricky T is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
KingsX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion ,Tom green co.

You have a PM. Reply please!
Do you use these pole feeders for mobile purposes? What is the purpose for your using these type feeders?
How are the directional feeder working out so far overall?
KingsX is online now   Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
KingsX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion ,Tom green co.

Never mind I just read your whole thread and realized why you use them! lol
I do still want to know how the directional timers are working out and if they ever clog?
KingsX is online now   Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
Hunt NXS
Ten Point

Like that, great idea.
Hunt NXS is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Good stuff as usual from the good Doc!
Landrover is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
Brent
Eight Point

Very clever. Thanks for posting!
Brent is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

John, you say the deer and cows can't get to the corn, but what about coons? This looks like a great idea that I might have to try, but we have so dang many coons, with a small barrel like that, they'd empty it in a day or two... I hate coons about as bad as I do cows!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
trophy8
Pope & Young

i set my blinds ot in the wide open. i shot a buck from 8 yards away out of it this year. they dont mind if they have time to get used to it. i think im gonna make one of those doc
trophy8 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #13
scotty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Encinal Texas, Hare, Texas

We use the galvanized water pans for lids on our lube barrels feeders too!
scotty is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
bowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayettville

nice feeder and bucks
bowboy is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
txbowkill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette County

sweet rig right there
txbowkill is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #16
tuthdoc
Ten Point

I don't think anyone has more coons than we do on the Junco. Frankly, I've never seen a coon on one of my poles. The new Remington directional will be very hard for a coon to get to and a deer or cow can't get it's tongue in the slot. I think it will be the berries for my directional feeders.

Why directional? I move these around a lot. To use a regular slinger, the feeder will have to be centered in my shooting area. That makes anything behind the feeder shielded by the feeder. You KNOW where the deer you're wanting to kill will go, right? By using a directional feeder, I can put my pole feeder to one side, aim it where I want the deer to go and let the corn sling right there. No interference from the feeder and the corn will be angled or parallel to my blind and the deer can get right where I want them.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Do you support the feeder with the PVC? and that is what is slipped over the conduit that is over the t-post?

How much weight is in the feeder?
Huntindad is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #18
tuthdoc
Ten Point

It's a 15 gallon barrel and it holds 100 lbs. When using the Straight Shooter, I could run the feeder for 15 seconds, make lots of noise, and the feeder would throw twice a day and last two months. With the Moultrie, I throw 4 seconds, twice daily, and it will last just over a month.

The T post supports the EMT. The PVC slides over the EMT and supports the feeder. I've tried several designs, but I like this one the best.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:56 PM   #19
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

with the Moultrie, you're throwing about 3/4 of a pound a throw... or about 1.5 pounds a day? Don't sound like much... but if it works... it works I guess.

I do like the design...
Huntindad is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #20
tuthdoc
Ten Point

I don't use it to fatten them, just to give them something to come by every day and get a bite. When I'm there, I hand feed along with the feeder. I basicly turn it yellow. When I get to the ranch, I can hunt this spot the first morning and feel pretty good that I'm going to see something because the pole feeder had given them a reason to come by. I use it as a mobil hand feeding station. A spot like this, I'll run it all year because there's a lot of deer that come through here and I want them to check it out when I'm not on the ranch. They do.

Find a deer by chumming or camera. Pop up a blind and set up a pole feeder. It keeps them coming and I'll probably kill the deer I'm after.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #21
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

How do you have the PVC attached to the barrel?

now, if I can figure out how to drive a t post more than 4 inches into the hill country ground...
txtimetravler is offline   Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #22
tuthdoc
Ten Point

Look at the third picture. It shows the back of the feeder. I drilled a big enough hole on the outside of the PVC for a socket and my drill to fit. I then drilled a smaller hole big enough for the bolt on the other side. I drilled corresponding hole into the barrel at the ridges and bolted the PVC to the barrel in those two places. I also used Marine Goop silicone to seal the holes.

Only way to drive them in by hand is with a post driver. My brothes welded a big ol weight on ours and if you can lift it off the post, it'll drive them through almost anything. LOL
Old 02-27-2008, 11:52 PM   #23
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

thanks Doc.
txtimetravler is offline   Back To The Top