New Bow Question-Beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Bow Question-Beginner

Been hunting for a long time, just now trying to get into bow hunting. Probably a little late for this season but going to give it a shot.

Went by a bow shop today and shot Bowtech Carbon Icon and Elite Inpulse 31. Was also told to look at the Mathews Z3.

Does anyone have any recommendations for those bows or similar bows in the price range or just advice in general for picking out one. Im guessing its like firearms where you pick the one that fits the best, the Bowtech I shot I did like better on first impressions.

Thanks guys, long time reader just dont post much.

Also Im guessing I could find a good deal on a used bow and save some money.

Best advice in my opinion is to do exactly what you did; go to a reputable bow shop & shoot several bows. The one that feels the best shooting is the way to go.

BTW, Bowtech is a very good bow company, just like the others that you mentioned. You cannot go wrong with any of the 3 bows listed above. All of them are top notch bow manufacturers.

Comment

Practice, Practice, Practice... And even more practice...
      As a NEWB myself, that is my advice....
      Find one that fits your hand and frame then get to practice.

I have yet to take anything down besides my practice target....Still working on form and placement....

That's all I got.... What area are you in?

Classifieds have some bows for sale, plenty of archery shops around to help out.

Welcome to the TBH....

LROSE

Comment

I was told the exact same thing. Even told to look at the Triax... I went back the next day and asked to look at the mission Ballistic 2.0... it is almost equal to the z3 and its still made by Mathews. this was last thursday and Friday. I took it home and I LOVE IT!!!!

First three shots with this bow gave me a TIGHT group

Last edited by Ao1051; 08-15-2018, 08:11 PM. Reason: picture

Comment

Buy a good used bow to start with. There are plenty of good used bows out there are reasonable.

Comment

Dont get too bent about this. When I was in high school I bought a Remington 700 BDL in a 30-06. That same rifle can be bought new today with little to no appreciable difference.

This does not apply to bows.

You may buy a bow you just love today, and outgrow it next year, or find another you like better. That is ok. Nothing says you have to keep it 10 years. That is why there are so many quality bows for sale in the classifieds here on TBH.

My current bow is a Halon 6 I bought here on TBH, and I friggin love it. I still have my NoCam, which I also love.

There is no perfect bow, and that is ok.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

All makes perfect since, wish I would have got on the ball a little bit sooner but I guess better late than never. Definitely looking at used ones on here.

Thanks

Comment

I bought a Z3 last year and love it. I wasn't planning on buying new, but after I shot it, I changed my mind. I was really wanting a Z7 extreme, but couldn't find one at the time. There's been several in the classifieds since. Regarding your concern about hunting this year with it: I would recommend practicing for a while before you decide. You'll know if you're ready. Practice sitting, standing, elevated, and in different forms (twists/bends) of each of those. Bend at the waist when shooting from an elevated position- I learned the hard way! Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

This one might be worth looking into:

Comment

I’d add that you need to factor accessories into your budget. A good sight and rest will likely stick with you much longer than the first bow you buy. If you spend all your budget on the bow and buy cheap accessories, you’ll end up replacing the accessories later. I’d buy quality accessories to begin with and spend less on the bow. It’s likely that you’ll buy another bow in the not too distant future. If you bought quality accessories you move them over to the new bow and you’re ready to go. Most guys don’t seem to keep a bow more than season or two, but you’ll see guys with a good sight or rest continue to use it for a decade or more. Those can be bought used for some savings too. There are plenty of good ones, but you can’t go very wrong with anything from spot Hogg or Axcel for sights. Lots of opinions on rests, read around here on those. I’m partial to the hamskea hybrid hunter pro with micro tune, but there are several other good ones.

As a beginner, it takes some time to develop good form. In the process you might find that you need to make some adjustments to how the bow is set up, particularly the draw length. That’s why I always recommend a bow with easily adjustable draw length for beginners. I’d steer clear of bows that require a shop with a press to install a new module if you need to make a draw length change.

D

Comment

You are on track. Shoot as many as you can to see what fits. Learn all you can. Rat is a great resource.

Comment

Dk_ace I agree on it needing to be easy to adjust. Im just having a hard time figuring out which ones are easy to adjust by changing out a module. I saw where the Mathews chill you can but couldnt tell if the z7 does or not? Also other brands that yall would recommend that are easy to adjust draw length.

What are yalls thoughts on ebay? There are a couple deals on there that seam good. But I would feel better buying from this site so I can go look at it in person first.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My backup bow is a diamond rock 2.0. it has an adjustable draw length that can be done without a press or cams. It's a really good choice for a starter bow as well, IMO.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dk_ace View Post
                            I’d add that you need to factor accessories into your budget. A good sight and rest will likely stick with you much longer than the first bow you buy. If you spend all your budget on the bow and buy cheap accessories, you’ll end up replacing the accessories later. I’d buy quality accessories to begin with and spend less on the bow. It’s likely that you’ll buy another bow in the not too distant future. If you bought quality accessories you move them over to the new bow and you’re ready to go. Most guys don’t seem to keep a bow more than season or two, but you’ll see guys with a good sight or rest continue to use it for a decade or more. Those can be bought used for some savings too. There are plenty of good ones, but you can’t go very wrong with anything from spot Hogg or Axcel for sights. Lots of opinions on rests, read around here on those. I’m partial to the hamskea hybrid hunter pro with micro tune, but there are several other good ones.

As a beginner, it takes some time to develop good form. In the process you might find that you need to make some adjustments to how the bow is set up, particularly the draw length. That’s why I always recommend a bow with easily adjustable draw length for beginners. I’d steer clear of bows that require a shop with a press to install a new module if you need to make a draw length change.

D

This is great advice

Comment

Originally posted by ejj005 View Post
                              Dk_ace I agree on it needing to be easy to adjust. Im just having a hard time figuring out which ones are easy to adjust by changing out a module. I saw where the Mathews chill you can but couldnt tell if the z7 does or not? Also other brands that yall would recommend that are easy to adjust draw length.

What are yalls thoughts on ebay? There are a couple deals on there that seam good. But I would feel better buying from this site so I can go look at it in person first.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              The z7 draw length cannot be adjusted. The Mathews chill can, but it requires a module change. You must have the module piece in hand for the draw length you want to change to. Generally you’re only going to get one module with the bow, so you need to buy a new one any time you want to change draw lengths.

Some bows allow you to change draw length without changing the module out. Those bows generally have a rotating module that you can adjust. You unscrew it, rotate it, and screw it back in. That’s the kind of system I would prefer for a beginner. Many PSE bows use this design, some Hoyt’s do, and I’m sure there are plenty of others. I’m a fan of the pse drive cams, and they use the rotating design. Pse used them on lots of good bows. I have them on a phenom dc and a beast ext.

D

Comment

Working...
                              X