New Mexico Bull Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mexico Bull Down

Went on my first archery elk hunt ever last week and got about as lucky as one guy can get. On the 3rd day of the hunt we put this bull to bed at about 9 am. Knowing there was only one water tank in the whole canyon we went ahead and built a ground blind from some dead fall and cut cedars. I climbed in the ground blind at noon and didnt hear or see any elk until 6:30. This bull and another started bugling back and forth around 6:30 and carried on for the next half hour. Around 7 everything went silent for about 10 mins until the smaller bull ripped a bugle only to be cut off by this bull, whom i could tell had gotten significantly closer than he had been all afternoon. After that sequence all of the sudden i heard horns crash and rocks flying and could see junipers being destroyed about 200 yards out. After about a minute i saw this bull push the larger one up the ridge and came running into my water hole with his cows. The bull stepped to the back of the tank and at 43 yards i got a complete pass through taking out both lungs. The bull ran straight by me passing me at about 15 feet and up the ridge behind me. I had knocked another arrow and dove out of the ground blind to get behind him. As i was trying to range him going up hill I saw him hunch up and then leg lock and fall straight down. He died in less than 20 seconds. I can't even describe the rush of emotions after he fell. I sat on the ground watching him in my binos for 25 mins to make sure he was not moving until i walked out and met my guide back at the truck and gave him the rundown!
    Attached Files

Congrats, gorgeous bull!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Holy smokes!

Congrats on a very nice bull

Comment

Awesome bull! I'm headed to Colorado next week and this only gets me that more pumped about it. Congrats

Comment

Congrats great bull and a first one at that.

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on your first bull with a bow!

Comment

Congrats on a great bull. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

wow!! zCongrats...Thats a big deal.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats to you sir.

Comment

Yes........ What a Hog..........

Comment

Awesome bull & great story!

Comment

Beautiful bull! What unit are you in?

Comment

nice one!