Big 8 finally...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big 8 finally...

Last Thursday was my last planned hunt for the season as my sons were coming down and we were planning to dove hunt the rest of the weekend. I was sitting in my stand with my brother as he was looking for a certain deer and I was looking for this 8 pt. I was hoping to shoot the 8 pt early with my bow and hoping Allen would have the opportunity at his buck later in the evening. As it turned out they both emerged from the brush onto the oat patch from opposite ends but within minutes of each other. I told Allen he could shoot if given the opportunity. As his buck got closer he decided to pass because it had 2 broken brow tines so I was in the "shooter's seat" waiting and hoping. It soon became obvious my buck was with a doe fawn that was in heat. I doubted I would get a shot since there was no way the other deer were going to let her near the hand corn I had out in bow range. At one point they finally move in and were getting close when a huge flock of black birds moved in on the corn and spooked all the deer off. Back to square one. They then moved out of the oat patch and over to my right about 100 yards where they simply bedded down for a while.

About 30 minutes later she gets up and heads farther away to the right. He decides to come in for a bite of corn. Im ready as he steps to the corn but he offers no shot and after about 15 seconds he decides to head back to his girlfriend. It is starting to get late and here comes a pig. All of the deer yield and move out to about 150 yards or more. We watch my buck and his doe move straight to the North about 250 yards and we quit paying them any attention thinking it was over for me. We decide to sit the last 15 minutes or so to see if something big would step out of the brush for Allen to shoot. It doesnt happen. I tell him to go ahead and shoot the pig in the head. It is getting dark. If fact it is so dark I cant video the shot because there isnt enough light. As he had the rifle out the window about ready to squeeze the trigger, I see movement coming from behind the blind on the right and tell him not to move. I cant believe it. The big 8 was now standing in my hand corn. I scramble to get my release on, and grab my bow and arrow. Just as I get ready he offers a shoot and I let her rip. Perfect double lung shot. He does the death run and expires nearly in the exact same spot he was bedded earlier with his doe.

He scored 145 even, both G2s were over 12", both G3s over 10", and brows were 5 and 6".
    God simply gave me a gift and Im truly grateful. It was an exciting hunt with lots of twists and turns.

Great story and awesome buck

Comment

Very nice 8

Comment

Awesome! Fantastic picture of him laying down. Beautiful deer.

Comment

that is a great story and an amazing buck!

Comment

WoW, that is a great buck and super story... Congrats

Comment

Beautiful deer and congrats on an awesome photo of the deer (both alive and dead)

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Wow, what a deer. Congrats on a beautiful deer.

Comment

You have killed two great bucks this season! Congrats!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

cool

Comment

Wow! What an 8!

Comment

Beautiful Tall 8. Congrats

Comment

Very nice 8! Congrats!

Comment

That is a beautiful deer. I bet it was fun to share a hunt like that with your brother. Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X