Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Hillbilly Rockstar
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default Keto Question

How much is too much protein? I'm eating bacon and eggs for breakfast, an almost bare salad for lunch, then either chicken or steak with a vegetable.

Is that too much protein for the day? I have heard that if you are on a very low carb diet and you eat too much protein, it starts to convert the protein into glucose. So...what is too much protein per day?
Hillbilly Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
catslayer
Pope & Young

No exspert here... but they guy who wrote "keto clarity" said start at 100 grams of protien a day. And test ketone level, some ppl can do more, some have to cut to like 80 grams, every bodies body is different.

I liked his book worth reading. And absolutely protien it can kick you out of ketosis. Keto diet should be very low carb MODERATE protien high fat. Also dr fung who wrote obisety code talks about this some. Another good book

So there are 7 grams of protien in an ounce of steak

100 grams÷(7 grams/ 1 ounce)= 14oz(ish)

So you get about 14 ounces of beef... check other items to see how much protien per ounce.

14 ounces of beef is a solid steak or a BIG burger... but if you cut it into mutiple little meals is gets small in a hurry. This is another reason that intermitant fasting works REAALLLY well with keto.

My gut withought working the math and testing your blood, is your over on protien.

Fasting scares ppl off, but its really really not bad, especially if your doing like 24 hour(dinner to dinner) or like an 18 hour ( do all your eating in a 6 hour window)

I did a 4 day a few weeks ago, hardest day is day 2... then its not physical hunger thats hard its the conditioning your brain has from years of eating 3 times a day that is hard.

My suggestion is try a week of only eating a good healthy keto meal for dinner. measure your protien better and test for ketones if you can. Play with protien intake until you see results you want.

Also remember urine ketones test can stop being a good test after your FULLY ketone adapted cause your body holds on to them to use for energy instead of passing them. Blood is better test

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited by catslayer; 05-30-2018 at 09:21 AM.
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #3
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

What did your doctor say?
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Rockstar View Post
How much is too much protein? I'm eating bacon and eggs for breakfast, an almost bare salad for lunch, then either chicken or steak with a vegetable.

Is that too much protein for the day? I have heard that if you are on a very low carb diet and you eat too much protein, it starts to convert the protein into glucose. So...what is too much protein per day?
The daily meal plan you outlined is about what I eat daily but I add protein to the lunch salad in the way of chicken, tuna or steak. I am no expert but it has worked well for me.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Use a Keto calculator to get an idea of your levels: https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
whakm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, we'll see how this goes

also take into consideration your activity level. If you're pumping iron or working out hard your need for protein will go up.
whakm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
catslayer
Pope & Young

Im actually really curious how many ppl eating keto actually hit keto levels... i think most dont, but the improvement on diet gets results so they go with it... only way to KNOW is to test and play with intake until you gert where you want to be. I think keto testing technology will see a HUGE jump is availability and accuracy in the next couple years

If you dont test yourself and play with food intakes youll never be sure... all the calculators are good starting points but just remember that is what they are, a place to start

Last edited by catslayer; 05-30-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #8
kaizen
Eight Point

I'm curious about this also. I've been on "keto" for about three weeks. I have all the keto symptoms and dropping weight really well but I don't test or count protein. All carbs are incidental to protein and veggies I eat. I know I'm usually low on fat but its working. So I'm not sure I care. One odd side affect for me is fasting is easy. I don't really get the "I'm starving" hunger I get on other diets. If I push off eating long enough I will feel a little sick and get a headache.
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
ChiroHuntR
Six Point

Hunt In: Rookie- still looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Rockstar View Post

It’s not how much protein- it’s what type of protein.

A simple thought I coach people on when they ask if eating enough / too much is: look at you’re gut. If it’s not flat, you’re eating too much and not exercising enough. Everything in proportions and exercise must be the bigger one of the two.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...
ChiroHuntR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
catslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
I'm curious about this also. I've been on "keto" for about three weeks. I have all the keto symptoms and dropping weight really well but I don't test or count protein. All carbs are incidental to protein and veggies I eat. I know I'm usually low on fat but its working. So I'm not sure I care. One odd side affect for me is fasting is easy. I don't really get the "I'm starving" hunger I get on other diets. If I push off eating long enough I will feel a little sick and get a headache.
If your less than 20 grams carbs ill bet you are. But know way to KNOW... results speak for themselves.

Ability to confortably skip meals is a well know keto "side effect". USE IT, dont eat if you arnt hungry... it only helps the process, burning out glycogen and setting you up to burn fat sooner.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
TXUSMC
Six Point

Hunt In: De Leon, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bps3040 View Post
Use a Keto calculator to get an idea of your levels: https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
This^^^. Then use the CarbManager app to track daily progress. It becomes very simple.
TXUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 01:46 PM   #12
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Just throw in an avacado should up you good fats.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #13
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

75% Fat 20% protein 5% carb is a good rule of thumb but I wouldn't exceed 1gr of protein per 1lb of body weight depending on your goals. What are your goals? There are a lot of uninformed responses to your question already so let the garbage fly and stick to what your already learning. Feel free to pm me if you don't want to read all the negative responses.
Rack Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #14
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

I’ve been doing the KETO thing for 80 days. I use the KETO app Stupid Simple. Helps me a lot keeping up with what I eat daily and tracking my weight. I am 59 yrs old, very little exercise( wanting to change that) it has me at 140 G protein, 151 g fat, 20 g carbs and 1997 calories. Works for me. Down 32 lbs, from 230 to 198.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jen-Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #15
JonW
Six Point

Hunt In: Tennessee, Ohio, Texas

I don't see any unreasonable responses or bad advice.

From a macro standpoint the 75/20/5 would work well as a rule of thumb, but there are huge variables in individuality and how the diet is formulated. I've sustained deep nutritional ketosis on high quality protein and also 90g carb/day because of the quality of the source. 1g/Lb of body weight is a lot of protein-I would say you're well within that.

I've tested blood ketone levels for the last two years. From personal experience it's difficult to overeat protein unless that's ALL your eating (like a carnivore diet that's popular). It's possible to have ketones drop below the textbook .5mmol from a protein bolus, but it's very short lived and if the results are what you are searching for the amount of BHB (keystone bodies) in your blood isn't the most important thing. I've found that BCAAs will convert more readily and drop ketone production much more quickly.

JonW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #16
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

Excellent post, you seem well educated on the subject so I'd like your input on something. You mentioned BCCA's, I've read conflicting articles on them and the Ketogenic diet, especially concerning the insulin released following intake. I understand that they aren't broken down in the liver and go straight to the blood stream but given the release of insulin I would except a decrease in fat metabolism. As with ketosis, I would expect this decrease in fat oxidation to vary greatly per individual, but in your opinion, what would be a general rule of thumb as to timing your BCCA's intake correctly, and how many grams would you recommend?
I currently IF for a 16-18 hour window, break my fast with bone broth, and then mix up 2 scoops of whey protein isolate and head to the gym. This is usually around 1pm. I usually have my first meal about 30 minutes post workout. This is my routine 5 days a week. My goal right now is to try build muscle in ketosis with my protein intake around 130gr a day which is around .7gr per pound of body weight. I stay around 150gr of healthy fats and 25 to 30 grams of carbs. I'm 6'0 182lbs and 13% body fat at this time, Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
I don't see any unreasonable responses or bad advice.

From a macro standpoint the 75/20/5 would work well as a rule of thumb, but there are huge variables in individuality and how the diet is formulated. I've sustained deep nutritional ketosis on high quality protein and also 90g carb/day because of the quality of the source. 1g/Lb of body weight is a lot of protein-I would say you're well within that.

I've tested blood ketone levels for the last two years. From personal experience it's difficult to overeat protein unless that's ALL your eating (like a carnivore diet that's popular). It's possible to have ketones drop below the textbook .5mmol from a protein bolus, but it's very short lived and if the results are what you are searching for the amount of BHB (keystone bodies) in your blood isn't the most important thing. I've found that BCAAs will convert more readily and drop ketone production much more quickly.

Rack Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #17
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

RR- If you are trying to put weight on eat 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #18
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

We are not tracking as much as stated from some responses? Just cutting out the NO NO's heavy carbs has made a world of difference for my wife and I. The pounds are falling off and my morning/evening glucose levels (type 2 diabetic) have fallen DRAMATICALLY!!

We have been on Keto about 3 weeks now and have gotten over our cravings for the BAD stuff....working for us but I know, did not answer your question.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #19
JonW
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Ranch View Post
Excellent post, you seem well educated on the subject so I'd like your input on something. You mentioned BCCA's, I've read conflicting articles on them and the Ketogenic diet, especially concerning the insulin released following intake. I understand that they aren't broken down in the liver and go straight to the blood stream but given the release of insulin I would except a decrease in fat metabolism. As with ketosis, I would expect this decrease in fat oxidation to vary greatly per individual, but in your opinion, what would be a general rule of thumb as to timing your BCCA's intake correctly, and how many grams would you recommend?
I currently IF for a 16-18 hour window, break my fast with bone broth, and then mix up 2 scoops of whey protein isolate and head to the gym. This is usually around 1pm. I usually have my first meal about 30 minutes post workout. This is my routine 5 days a week. My goal right now is to try build muscle in ketosis with my protein intake around 130gr a day which is around .7gr per pound of body weight. I stay around 150gr of healthy fats and 25 to 30 grams of carbs. I'm 6'0 182lbs and 13% body fat at this time, Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
Any increase in insulin is going to decrease fat oxidation, but if you're 13% bodyfat you're miles ahead of most people. The trade-off is insulin itself is catabolic and considering your goals, level of fitness, muscle mass, etc probably a very beneficial trade-off. My goals have been more health related, so I've never made muscle-building the primary goal. A couple of years ago I was using an immune-building/recovery protocol and while VERY strict/very low carb (as I've generally been the last few years). I was taking BCAAs as part of this protocol and finally figured out why ketosis was transient. I wouldn't have much experience with supplementation, but I will offer this for you to consider with regards to fasting: autophagy is VERY sensitive to any protein intake and BCAAs seem to bring it to a halt. If you get deep enough into a fast (24 hours plus) HGH will absolutely SOAR. Many are taking advantage of this and using this window post workout as well by not breaking the fast for a few hours AFTER the workout. I would assume that the BCAAs and supplemental protein are likely blunting the HGH spike along with autophagy. I'm a huge fan of individual experimentation-I think it would be worth a shot to try both ways. I bet you would get benefits from both, but may find one works better than the other.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:13 PM   #20
JonW
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
Hormones are working in your favor. Grehlen is suppressed while leptin is stimulated. It's awesome!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:15 AM   #21
Hillbilly Rockstar
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Hey thanks for all of the responses ya'll. I will be getting one of the apps today. A huge problem for me is eating different things. I find a combination of food that works for me to get me through the day, then I eat that same combination almost everyday. I'm not big on trying new foods.

I tried the Keto diet last year and went from 282 in May to 219 in October. I did it incorrectly...after a few weeks on Keto, my appetite went away and I went to a very low calorie diet coupled with the Keto. I saw my doctor regularly and all of my numbers stayed great the whole time. Then, the first part of October, I had a cheat day...that turned into a cheat 6 months.
Hillbilly Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2018, 07:49 AM   #22
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I have often thought of doing this but with the numbers they give me no way to keep my body weight up. I’m almost 50 and hard to keep the 245-250# it took me years to get. I don’t see how at .75-1 g of protein for every pound is keep the muscle mass on. I’m not a Dr but if I did that I would loose weight I want
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top