fletchings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fletchings

hello i am new to tbh and only been bow hunting for 1 year.could someone please tell me the advantage or disadvantage to using short or long fletchings. i currently use long thinking about changing to short.

Change.
    The Blazer vanes stabilize as well, weigh less, giving better FOC, and are quieter and tougher. Use as much offset or helical as you can get.
    I don't know of a negative.

Comment

Long fletchings are generally best for broadheads and general target shooting. They help stabilize the broadhead in flight.

They may or may not be as uniform in wieght, but that is ok for hunting too.

Target shooters prefer shorter fletching b/c they are lighter and tend to be more precise in weight. They don't have to worry about tip stabilization. I use 1.8" Duravanes on my target arrows, and 3.5" Duravanes on my hunting rig.

Oh, booger, my cake is done, got to go...

Comment

most fletchings work its mostly a matter of what you want, if im use a low brace height bow i prefer short vanes, on longer brace heights i prefer longer .. and prefer 4" feathers over any vane any time anywhere if they have the room

Comment

the shorter vanes also give the arrow a smaller side profile. shooting in windy conditions the smaller side profile of shorter vanes is less affected by wind.

Comment

Plastic vanes can last longer than feathers if you are hard on an arrow. Feathers could potentially be more forgiving if the fletchings hit something in flight (never good). I think the feathers fly better, but I shoot blazers. Try a half dozen of both and see what you have best success with...my .02

Comment

I don't know either way. I just think the 2" vanes look cool!

J

Comment

Will the fletching help keep you from shooting them out in the pasture and loosing the arrow? I sure hope the hay bailer doesn’t breakdown trying to put it in a hay bale.

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
                  I don't know either way. I just think the 2" vanes look cool!

J
                  can't beat honesty

Comment

Does it really matter to you?? You gotta be able to shoot something in order for it to make a difference....Maybe now that you got a "modern" bow, you can get serious about bowhunting...

Maybe the Smithsonian will take your old one to show people what the caveman use to use to hunt bison...

Comment

http://archeryreport.com/2009/10/fle...ew-speed-drop/ This is a review that I came across and it is amazing. It is all about fletching, and it is bad ace!!

Comment

I like my blazers. Shoot great with field tip's and broadhead's. If you'r bow is tuned I really dont think the fletching make's that much of a difference.

Comment

Blackforest excellent article. Two things to note there really isnt a great deal of difference in any of the fletchings. Secondly, mother nature and feathers amazingly do extremely well. Great job MOM! I prefer Blazers. (colors and strips are cool looking) I also think it has a great deal to do with looking good. Dont the deer like that?

Comment

I'm one of the few that use the 4inch vanes. They fly my fixed blades much better than the short vanes.
                            Last edited by oktx; 03-28-2010, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackforest View Post
                              http://archeryreport.com/2009/10/fle...ew-speed-drop/ This is a review that I came across and it is amazing. It is all about fletching, and it is bad ace!!
                              As I said earlier.... I use 2" vanes because they look cool, IMO.

I was shooting blazers for the last few years after moving away from Quick Spins. The blazers and Q.S, IMO, shoot pretty much the same. Last year I switched to the Fusion vanes after reading that article. I was very surprised on how much better they shoot than Blazers, especially at loner distances. They are a great vane, THAT LOOK COOL . I'm surprised I haven't read about more people switching over to the Fusion...

J
                              Last edited by justhrowit; 03-28-2010, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X