August Bear Hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August Bear Hunt?

I am taking my 15 year old son bear hunting in New Mexico on the 16th since he passed 9th grade and this was his incentive...and it was close. Anyway this is mine and his first bear hunt and I was wondering if anyone knows what we should expect this time of year? What temp, bear color and size, Ect.? We are hunting just south of Quemado New Mexico with an outfitter. We will be hunting with dogs, on horse, ATV, or truck. I have hunted Elk in New Mexico to the north and I know what to expect for terrain but know nothing about bears.

Good question that I would like to see the replies on. I have several on game camera in Unit 16d that look avg to me for NM. I saw one last year in 16e the first week of Sept that was fat and happy. I have 3 black bears and one brown color phase on my cameras.

Comment

Only bear hunted in Canada, spot and stalk. Curious to see the replies

Comment

I know in Quemado NM the temps are low 80's during the day and mid 50's at night but we will be at higher elevation.

Comment

Good luck on the hunt. I'm going on my first bear hunt, in Maine, the last of August.

Comment

I will be hunting bear in north eastern New Mexico starting the 16th. Never done it before so I am interested on hearing replies as well.

Comment

pics

[ATTACH][ATTACH]865873[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by savage1134 View Post
                [ATTACH][ATTACH]865873[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
                Very nice!

Comment

Monsoon season is here so be prepared for rainy days. Like mentioned above, lows in the 50's with highs in the 80's-90's. listen to your guide, he'll tell you what a big bear is. As far as color, this part of NM has them all... black, blonde, cinnamon you name it. Good luck on your hunt. Take lots of pics. I live an hour east of quemado. If you need anything feel free to give me a shout.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt-R View Post
                    Monsoon season is here so be prepared for rainy days. Like mentioned above, lows in the 50's with highs in the 80's-90's. listen to your guide, he'll tell you what a big bear is. As far as color, this part of NM has them all... black, blonde, cinnamon you name it. Good luck on your hunt. Take lots of pics. I live an hour east of quemado. If you need anything feel free to give me a shout.
                    Thank you, I guess I grab some rain gear for my kid. We are looking forward to it.

Comment

I have never hunted right there but north of there near Grants and east of there near Datil. It will be warm and a fair chance of an evening shower. Light jacket is about all you will need most in the mornings. I am sure that color phases are about the same as everywhere else out there with black being the majority with a few cinammons and an occasional dark brown.
                      Great choice on hunting with dogs as you can make a decision on the bear once you get him treed. Like bowhunt-R said, your guide should be able to tell you about the bear and know whether or not it should be taken. If going horseback, you should have already been riding to get in shape. The ups and downs (especially downs) are tough on a guy who has been riding just on flat ground. Take comfortable hunting boots as you are going to be walking/climbing when the bear is treed, if not more. When the dogs get after him, he is going to the worst Hell Hole he can find. Hopefully, the dogs can convince him to climb.
                      This will be a great hunt in a beautiful setting at a nice time of the year. Who is going to be your outfitter? I know quite a few of them. Good luck!
                      Adios,
                      Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                        I have never hunted right there but north of there near Grants and east of there near Datil. It will be warm and a fair chance of an evening shower. Light jacket is about all you will need most in the mornings. I am sure that color phases are about the same as everywhere else out there with black being the majority with a few cinammons and an occasional dark brown.
                        Great choice on hunting with dogs as you can make a decision on the bear once you get him treed. Like bowhunt-R said, your guide should be able to tell you about the bear and know whether or not it should be taken. If going horseback, you should have already been riding to get in shape. The ups and downs (especially downs) are tough on a guy who has been riding just on flat ground. Take comfortable hunting boots as you are going to be walking/climbing when the bear is treed, if not more. When the dogs get after him, he is going to the worst Hell Hole he can find. Hopefully, the dogs can convince him to climb.
                        This will be a great hunt in a beautiful setting at a nice time of the year. Who is going to be your outfitter? I know quite a few of them. Good luck!
                        Adios,
                        Gary
                        I am hunting with Mick Chapel and his kids from New Mexico Professional Big Game Hunting. I don't think we will go by horse much maybe just one day, I had to talk them into it because my son really wanted to. I grew up on horses but my kid will be hating life after a full day on one. My son has new boots and I have been telling him to go break them in but 15 year olds know everything, so he might have to get a life lesson.

Comment

I'll be in the quemado area Thursday-Sunday. I'll glass when I'm out. If I see any bears I'll let you know. Is your son bowhunting?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt-R View Post
                            I'll be in the quemado area Thursday-Sunday. I'll glass when I'm out. If I see any bears I'll let you know. Is your son bowhunting?
                            He is using a rifle, I will use my bow. He has practiced plenty with his bow but has never killed anything with it. He is after an Audad on our ranch this year and will be on his bow for that.

Comment

One more week, we are really excited!

Comment

Working...
                              X