Lake Whitney help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Whitney help

I'll be heading to Lake Whitney on Monday I'm not asking for anyone's honey hole but any advice on areas to try for stripers/white bass or tactics specific to Whitney would be greatly appreciated. Also any known hazards? We will be staying on the south end of the lake at Cliffview. Thanks!

I used to fish there A LOT, but it's been awhile. Around the island was always good for whites. Near the bridge that goes over the lake near Cedron Creek was good as well. We would jig them up off the bottom. We used the second expansion joint as a reference point and had some structure located about 300 yards west of the bridge and about 25 feet or less of water.

There's also an old road bed that runs from the state park all the way across the lake toward the island. You used to be able to see the road come down to the water and disappear, but that was years ago.

We did most of our fishing jigging them up off the bottom. We'd use the electronics to find them on the bottom near road beds, drop off, etc. Watch for the birds as well. If the fish are schooling near the top the birds will be diving in and you'll be able to see them.

You might be able to find a map at the Corps office at the dam.

I always had a freezer full of fish. Good luck
    Last edited by SabreKiller; 06-01-2018, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Summer is the worst time to fish out there, once it gets hot the bite shuts off worse than any lake around here, if your going now I would fish at night, IDK if its zebra mussells or what but water is super clear right now, clearest I've seen since the 90's and that makes the bite even tougher during the day. Winter is the best time on that lake, fall is good and spring too but the boat pressure can get to them in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
        water is super clear right now, clearest I've seen since the 90's and that makes the bite even tougher during the day.
        I don’t remember it ever being this clear. Something is going on under the water for sure. Even the color is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
          I don’t remember it ever being this clear. Something is going on under the water for sure. Even the color is different.
          It was back in the 90's but not this clear, and the smallmouth fishing was real good back then too. Not many of them in there now after the golden algae fish kills back around 2001.

Comment

Went out there last Saturday and limited out on stripers. Live bait and graphed around until we found a good school of fish. Couldn't keep the bait in the water. YES the water was very clear. We could see the fish coming up from 10ft down it seemed. Like fishing the blue ocean.

Comment

Found the whites and stripers schooling early this morning at McCown northward while it was overcast. Lot of undersized, no legal stripers, but it was fun, probably have about 20 whites I need to filet.

Comment

Summer is the worst time to fish out there, once it gets hot the bite shuts off worse than any lake around here, if your going now I would fish at night, IDK if its zebra mussells or what but water is super clear right now, clearest I've seen since the 90's and that makes the bite even tougher during the day. Winter is the best time on that lake, fall is good and spring too but the boat pressure can get to them in the spring.
                Uhhhh....dude said Monday. Just sayin...

Comment

A week ago I caught crappie on tree's in 16 to 30 ft of water.

Comment

What are you fishing with? I've caught some monster stripers this time of year on live shad. Fish Humps and ledges along the river channel. Keep your baits at about 25-30ft and the stripers will come up and get them. Early look for them to come up on top. Summer is big fish time not numbers time.

Comment

It was back in the 90's but not this clear, and the smallmouth fishing was real good back then too. Not many of them in there now after the golden algae fish kills back around 2001.

NM, I'm concerned about you. And have known you a very good while. I'm wondering if you ever have anything positive to say on here. I pulled up all your post and don't see much sunshine or even a crack of light in most of them. Life is a matter of what you compare it with. Hope all is well on your end.

Carry on folks. Lots of fish in Whitney. They bite all year round.

Comment

Only had 15, about three fish taco suppers for the two of us.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That positive enough TG?

Comment

I guess that guide and 3 clients I just saw at Macown boat ramp , cleaning a mess of stripers, must have caught them at Texoma.... and brought them here to clean.

Since obviously, the bite shuts down in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                              That positive enough TG?

Well done razorback, well done~!

Comment

Working...
                              X