Good advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good advice

I have grown frustrated with what "journalism" has become in our world. There is not a single source I trust. Not one. In a desperate effort to find something I just googled "unbiased news sources" and came across this. It isn't a link to some new outlet that is unbiased but rather a how to cope with the fact that there is no such thing. There are some real good nuggets of advice in here.

Answer (1 of 327): In addition to political super-star-ninja Quora User' answer, I want to reiterate that it is effectively impossible to create anything "unbiased". So don't hold out hope. No such source exists. Objectivity is an illusion and that’s your first mistake. The problem with this ques...
    Last edited by Ætheling; 05-08-2018, 07:29 AM.

I like that, and I think the double edged sword of “fake news” has woken a lot of people up that they need to think, to question, to listen, then decide for themselves.

Comment

I use multiple online news outlets, AM Talk radio, personal experience and some good ol common sense.... I mash all those together to form a personal opinion on something.

Good old fashioned investigative journalism is hard to find these days.

Comment

Get on Twitter and follow as many different types of news sources as you can find, even ones you think are bat $h1t crazy. More and more will start to come across. I've found that there isn't a single source out there that at some point in a week that I don't both agree and disagree with.

I'll read multiple sources on a single story and make up my own mind.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWes View Post
          Get on Twitter and follow as many different types of news sources as you can find, even ones you think are bat $h1t crazy. More and more will start to come across. I've found that there isn't a single source out there that at some point in a week that I don't both agree and disagree with.

I'll read multiple sources on a single story and make up my own mind.
          Cant do that on Twitter, that's where I get my naked lady pics.

Comment

I also use to "triangulate" the best version of what happened by comparing multiple news sources but now even that is becoming ineffective. They are just too far off now.

My two favorite lines.

"Turn it off the moment it starts reporting anything other than that which impacts your life this moment. Because thoughtful news takes time and TV doesn’t have that kind of time to peddle pages and pages of abstruse information, your only recourse is to sigh, and accept that you’ll have to subscribe to a few periodicals or the occasional website that does true investigative reporting."

"The fool believes he can change the world or the system by binge-consuming news. Don't be a fool. Be informed, but have a life. You've only got one of those and there are magnificent things about being alive that being a binge-news-consumer will otherwise drag you away from."

FYI, the guy is very liberal but maybe much more so in the classical sense. He at least seems to have a good deal of common sense about him.

Dan Holliday
            I read.

Proud liberal heretic.

Husband of Rick — a man I love so intensely and passionately, that after 12 years of knowing him, I’m aware of how incredibly lucky I am to have a relationship that has improved with every year of our life (which seems not to be the case with all couples). We are giddier and more sexual today than when we first met. He is my best friend and a guardian against all my flaws that, without him, would run amok. Beyond all things, this is the most important feature of my life and the most essential thing to know about me. In no uncertain terms, if forced to choose between him and the world, I’d scorch the planet clean and run off with him.
            Last edited by Ætheling; 05-08-2018, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Only worry about the things that will affect you in a 100 years.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                Only worry about the things that will affect you in a 100 years.
                I like that!

Comment

Working...
                X