Church Shooting Sutherland Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
    I have to take my truck in every year and get it inspected along with multiple people looking at me and my information. I would think that something along those lines might be a step in the right direction. I spend time at the range every year. Could possibly do it there?

I'm not dodging questions - I'm asking what do you think would work, help, or prevent more of these shooting from happening.

I also agree that none of the control mechanisms have worked in Chicago and other areas of the country. SO, if we aren't going to attempt some type of social reform, then its just buy more guns and ammo and wait for the next shoot out?
    My idea of some type of control (or any at all) does not remove this or any gun from the market or remove it from your or my hands. I like what I own and own it bc I can and will use it to defend myself (mostly against hogs). This country is divided enough and I'm not attempting to divide us even more here.
    I think (positive) social reform would go a LOT further toward preventing this and other crimes than any type of government restrictions on firearms ever could. Christians need to do even more to spread the Gospel across our nation. We've sat back too much in recent decades and taken for granted the belief that we live in a "Christian nation". Maybe that was true a few decades ago, but it's clearly not true anymore. It's great that we do so much to spread the Gospel around the world, but we need to step up the efforts here at home. Government is NOT the answer if we're looking for positive social reforms. Jesus is.

Where government can and should be helping is in the mental health area. Too little is being done to identify and adequately monitor and care for people who have serious mental illness, especially those who are potentially dangerous. We used to do better at sending mentally ill people to hospitals where they could be cared for and protected, and also so that everyone else could be protected from the potentially dangerous mentally ill folks among us. We need to renew those efforts. Yes, it costs money, but that is something that is an actual responsibility of the government - to protect citizens.

Another thing the government can and should be doing is effectively implementing the existing background check processes. It sounds like the Air Force and/or the FBI dropped the ball in getting all of the pertinent info on this nutjob into the background check registry. Had his domestic assault conviction info been included in the registry, he wouldn't have been able to buy a gun at Academy.

Obviously, he could have still built a bomb to kill folks in the church. He could have still walked in with a big knife and started stabbing people. He could have still driven his SUV over people as they were coming out of the church. He could have still snuck in and put poison in their communion grape juice. He could have still figured out all kinds of ways to kill people if he didn't have a gun. Dealing with the mental illness aspect would be the most effective way to stop nutjobs like this guy from hurting and killing people.

But there is absolutely NOTHING that we can come up with that will ever prevent evil like this from happening again. The best we can do is to do everything possible to minimize these situations from happening while simultaneously being more ready to defend ourselves when evil happens. If 2 or 3 people in that church had been armed, that nutjob may have been able to kill a couple of people, but he most likely would have not been able to do nearly as much damage as he did when no one was able to fight back until he walked out of the building and encountered a good guy with a gun. It's a crying shame that, even in our churches, we need to be armed and prepared for the worst. But evil doesn't care about that. Evil is evil.

Comment

No one's running you up the flagpole. They just disagree with your hand-wringing and lack of useful solutions. I for one am thankful he picked a rifle instead of googling "how to make a bomb."[/QUOTE]

So hand wringing is what I am doing? I threw an idea out there. Not sure how that puts me in the Liberal Democrat from California with all my liberal ideas to take everyone's guns away. For **** sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
        I feel the need to chime in on this. We are actually in the middle of producing a video on the very subject.

The simple truth is, there is nothing we can do to prevent evil people from committing evil acts, period. Since the dawn of time there has been evil doing what it does best. Yes, today evil has amediate access to tools to achieve their agenda much quicker than in decades past but you know as well as I that a twisted person will find a way. I also believe since the dawn of time, we can agree that one thing and one thing only is consistent with every evil act, a person made the decision to do it. Until we can find a way to wipe evil from the face of the earth and hold people accountable for their own actions nothing will change! Remove a tool and all that will happen is evil will get more creative.

If anyone has an idea of addressing and fixing an evil mind and heart, the world is listening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Amen!!!!!!

Comment

So what would be solution to stop mass murders with semi automatic weapons Turbowhunter? Would you feel differently about it if your daughter and wife were dead bc of him? Probably so. I know I would. So what's a possible solution before you all run me up the flag pole?
          I believe that if he's willing to commit the worst crime one can commit, he won't give a shat about ANY laws or restrictions. I think he would find a means to carry out his plan one way or another, with or without guns. I think if 3 or 4 good people in church would have been carrying, the threat would have been stopped right away. I think it would be easier to stop a gunman at close range, like the neighbor did, than a big truck running through a parade or marathon.

Comment

Comment

So what would be solution to stop mass murders with semi automatic weapons Turbowhunter? Would you feel differently about it if your daughter and wife were dead bc of him? Probably so. I know I would. So what's a possible solution before you all run me up the flag pole?
              And BTW I don't have a wife or daughter but I have a friend that is dead bc of him.

Comment

To You Gun Control Advocates

I want to know what other Rights you gun control advocates are willing to relinquish. Which ones? If you want forego YOUR Rights, any of them, you have power to do so. You do not have the authority to do away with mine, no matter the trauma you feel.

Where were you yesterday preaching gun control? If you believe in it with sincerity, this isn't a part-time position for you. If you're just speaking out today, you are an opportunist easily bent by societal pressure. Intellectual honesty is paramount when making an argument to abolish God given Rights.

Why would you ban or restrict the owning of this classification of firearm? If anything, you should be concerned about the murders by handguns. 600% more people are killed by handguns each year than by all long guns COMBINED. You should want to ban/restrict handguns too, correct? Do you not care about the thousands killed by handguns? Are they less important in some way?

Do you own an AR-15, AK-47, SKS, a Remington Woodmaster, or even a Ruger 10/22? If so, you have ZERO credibility today. Not only that, you have no principles for which you stand. Get rid of them. Be done with the evils in your home. Get rid of all guns because I tell you something, personally, I could dump just as much carnage with one handgun and a little desire as this A hole did with an AR-15.

It's not about the weapon, it's about the criminal. What is your prescription to prevent this from happening again? For every one you cite, I can provide 1000 ways around to to achieve the same mission. However, I'm all ears and I welcome the debate.

Attached Files
                Last edited by Livin'2hunt; 11-06-2017, 12:45 PM.

Comment

If we would stop the media from naming these pathetic losers that have no life and do this mostly to gain recognition for themselves, these acts would slowdown. These losers see the media focusing on why this happened and the reason and the effort that is puts into searching their background and this gives them fuel to come up with a more sensationaly heanious act to bring attention to themselves. Report on the victims only but say NOTHING about who did it and it will slow down.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                    I feel the need to chime in on this. We are actually in the middle of producing a video on the very subject.

The simple truth is, there is nothing we can do to prevent evil people from committing evil acts, period. Since the dawn of time there has been evil doing what it does best. Yes, today evil has amediate access to tools to achieve their agenda much quicker than in decades past but you know as well as I that a twisted person will find a way. I also believe since the dawn of time, we can agree that one thing and one thing only is consistent with every evil act, a person made the decision to do it. Until we can find a way to wipe evil from the face of the earth and hold people accountable for their own actions nothing will change! Remove a tool and all that will happen is evil will get more creative.

If anyone has an idea of addressing and fixing an evil mind and heart, the world is listening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
                    Well said

Comment

Originally posted by turbowhunter View Post
                      And BTW I don't have a wife or daughter but I have a friend that is dead bc of him.
                      I am Terribly Sorry for your loss, my prayers go out to you and the other families that are in pain.

Comment

That's What!!

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                        I want to know what other Rights you gun control advocates are willing to relinquish. Which ones? If you want forego YOUR Rights, any of them, you have power to do so. You do not have the authority to do away with mine, no matter the trauma you feel.

Where were you yesterday preaching gun control? If you believe in it with sincerity, this isn't a part-time position for you. If you're just speaking out today, you are an opportunist easily bent by societal pressure. Intellectual honesty is paramount when making an argument to abolish God given Rights.

Why would you ban or restrict the owning of this classification of firearm? If anything, you should be concerned about the murders by handguns. 600% more people are killed by handguns each year than by all long guns COMBINED. You should want to ban/restrict handguns too, correct? Do you not care about the thousands killed by handguns? Are they less important in some way?

Do you own an AR-15, AK-47, SKS, a Remington Woodmaster, or even a Ruger 10/22? If so, you have ZERO credibility today. Not only that, you have no principles for which you stand. Get rid of them. Be done with the evils in your home. Get rid of all guns because I tell you something, personally, I could dump just as much carnage with one handgun and a little desire as this A hole did with an AR-15.

It's not about the weapon, it's about the criminal. What is your prescription to prevent this from happening again? For every one you cite, I can provide 1000 ways around to to achieve the same mission. However, I'm all ears and I welcome the debate.

Heck Yea, that what I am talking about right there!! You tell them Livin'2hunt!!

Well said!!

Comment

The attacks on the family unit and marriage and lack of fathers in the household, etc. has produced more "evil" and deaths in our country than any man-made weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            The attacks on the family unit and marriage and lack of fathers in the household, etc. has produced more "evil" and deaths in our country than any man-made weapons.
                            I unfortunately agree with Chew on this one. This is the main reason we are having so many societal issues.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                              History has taught us that registration leads to confiscation when it comes to firearm ownership of citizens throughout the world.

Taking away a tool a criminal uses will not stop a crime from occurring. The criminal will just find a different tool to use. So how do you stop crime from occurring? You take away their motivation or you make the penalties so severe that the criminals don’t commit crimes.

Bingo

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post

What in the holy hell are you talking about? I'm a gun control advocate now? Zero credibility? Go reread my comments. I own several those guns and so I should just give them up because I take issue with mass murders by say, an AR-15? I'm not preaching anything. You might want to step off your high horse and realize not everyone believes everything you yell at them. I have no societal pressure. I was out hunting all weekend with guys that have more weaponry than most average Americans, so I highly doubt you'll find me at the next gun control rally. I support the second amendment.

The asshat comment about finding 1000 ways around an idea just goes to show how closed minded you truly are. I asked for ideas and constructive comments and threw out a few ideas. Perhaps the definition of gun control is what should be defined, as it means different things to different folks. If you have all these great ideas to complete " a mission", then spill the beans. Educated us all. Until then, don't put me on blast for trying to think around an issue with others that have a much different perspective than mine or yours.
                                Last edited by Parramore; 11-06-2017, 01:08 PM. Reason: Bad Sentence Structure

Comment

Working...
                                X