Question for the welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the welders

I want to build an A-Frame that can be taken apart and moved from one location to another. I am thinking of using square tubing with a spread of 9' between the legs. The top tube can be bridged for added strength, single center position for chain hoist to hang from.. What degree would you set the legs at when making the "sockets" for each corner? I am guessing 20 degree would suffice? I am guessing up to a 1000 lbs at most. I currently need to use it to position a flatbed on a farm truck.
    Thx

I don’t think 20 degrees will get you the 9 ft between the legs. More like 30 degrees at 71/2 ft tall. The 71/2 is just a height I measured. Yours may be taller/shorter. 9 ft. Is quite a wide stance between the feet. Make sure you add a center brace so the legs don’t spread.

Comment

Originally posted by jrfan View Post
      I don’t think 20 degrees will get you the 9 ft between the legs. More like 30 degrees at 71/2 ft tall. The 71/2 is just a height I measured. Yours may be taller/shorter. 9 ft. Is quite a wide stance between the feet. Make sure you add a center brace so the legs don’t spread.
      I am sorry, I meant 9' between the legs from left side to the right side. The reason I want 9' is to be wide enough to back a trailer under the A-frame. I want it to be 10' tall at the top beam. I have been looking at some on Google and I am going to make this a fixed A-frame, not a knock down one but I am still not positive on the best angle to set the legs at.

Comment

Ok. Sorry I misunderstood discription.

Comment

10' tall, 8' wide at bottom. The red dimension is 22d.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Palmetto; 06-18-2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
            Thank you Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
              Show off...

Comment

I used to build something similar to this for Tracker Marine when ever they got ready to open a new store somewhere. It was for unloading watercraft from transport trailers. Only on a much larger scale, for bigger water craft too. But they did get this similar size below for shop works. Only it would hold more than the one in the pic below.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  I used to build something similar to this for Tracker Marine when ever they got ready to open a new store somewhere. It was for unloading watercraft from transport trailers. Only on a much larger scale, for bigger water craft too. But they did get this similar size below for shop works. Only it would hold more than the one in the pic below.
                  UGH I want one!!!

Comment

That is the way I built mine in my shop but I used 2 7/8" pipe for the verticals and it slipped into 3 1/2" pipe. I used 4" channel for the bottom pieces and my wheels are much stouter than those. It has picked up over 2 tons with no problems.I couldn't find a picture of the whole thing but here is a picture that you can see the bottom part.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X