skiing with 4 yr old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

skiing with 4 yr old

How many of you have been skiing with young kids? My youngest is 4 and we are thinking of going skiing for spring break. Any recommendations?

Leaning toward Angel Fire because it's one of the closest for us to drive to.

I'm not a skier. I've only been 2 times when I was in college and didn't ski much on those trips.

We’re headed to Durango, CO in mid February with our 3 kids (10,8 & 4). The older two ski, the youngest will go to the day care on the mountain.

Comment

I would skip it for a few years. I would want to include all my family and putting one in a daycare with strangers while the rest of the fam had fun would ruin it for me YMMV

Comment

We just got back from Taos, I had 4 kiddos with me 12,10,5 and 2. Since Taos offers ski school on ages 3 and up you should be able to take advantage of that. My kids had the best time... even the 5 year old that was in school. Taos also had some really great instructors and a very nice/safe setup for the little ones. I will say this though for you Taos is a tougher mountain to ski as a beginner and I cannot attest to how good the others ski schools are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We like Red River. Just got back from our fifth trip there to ski. The first year we went there my youngest was four and he loved it.

Comment

We started all our boys at age 4 in private lessons. Now the youngest is 7 and the whole family skis the mountain together.

Comment

Several things to remember: The whole group is limited by the one with the least ability. Spring break week is the busiest time to go. So make reservations for everything including ski rentals and instructors or classes.

At four it may be hard to find classes. Since you all have not been much you could hire a private instructor for the group. If you can find one that will allow a 4 year old.

The best would be snow / daycare program wihike you guys ski. We hated leaving our little ones so we have done it both ways.

Comment

Started our son at 2, he played way more than he wanted to ski. 4 years later, he can literally bomb any hill on the slope and dad can't keep up . I say take em, don't expect much. And just have fun being on the mountain as a family.

Comment

The older I get the less I like the large mountains and crowds. That said, I absolutely loved Red River last year. First time there. Going back in 3 weeks. You can walk everywhere after arrival. We will drive 30 minutes to Taos one day for some hardcore board action.

Put the kids in a half day class. After lunch you can play with them for a couple of hours.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 01-19-2019, 08:13 AM.

Comment

take them, the early the better! They have lessons for kids that age and I've had them that age fly by me.
                    We've taken several trips to Angel Fire in NM, going again end of this month.
                    Of course, my kids are much older now but when they were young we went, got on the lift to the top, we all got off together, looked around and they were GONE down the mountain ... took to it like a duck to water.
                    We love going together!

Comment

The next Bode Miller start them young.You never know

Comment

Put your 4yr old in a lesson the first day, and he will probably be skiing circles around you on the second day!!! Kids pick it up easy.

And Angelfire is a great place, as long as there is good snow.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          Put your 4yr old in a lesson the first day, and he will probably be skiing circles around you on the second day!!! Kids pick it up easy.

And Angelfire is a great place, as long as there is good snow.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          This^^^^^.....my Wife and I started our kids off when they were six or seven. I wouldn’t dare try to keep up with them to this day. I don’t mind Diamond trails but when they want to go Double Diamond I just meet them down the slope. glad we started them early....Plus, at the younger age they start out snow-plowing and catch on quickly from there. They have them in ski helmets as well.

Comment

Ski school. At that age (4), the ski school will ski for an hour, head in for 30 minutes, then ski another hour, rinse, repeat. The instructors will take good care of your child.

You and the rest of your family can go enjoy the mountain.

As for location, Taos is hard to beat, or Wolf Creek. Good year for snow, go get after it!

Comment

We go annually. Classes are awesome to teach the youngins...most instructors are great! The peer social environment helps them learn from each other. But if the classes are too big... the class gets naturally held back to the weakest skiier which retards the quick learners advancement...IMO. Im swapping from snowboarding to skiing so I can harness my 4 yr old and ski with her.

I like to stay in rear trail and have another adult leader. Having an adult in rear trail helps not having to hump back up hill if the youngin wipes out and has a melt down. A leader gives newbie skiier kiddos confidence that the fall line can be cut or attacked head on depending on the aggresiveness of the trail.

Patience will be tested.

Have a great time Dad!

Comment

Working...
                              X