Crawfish Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crawfish Question

So I am planning a big boil at our Deer Lease in March and trying to set plans how we will get the bugs up to North Texas and keep them alive over night before the big boil the next day.

Sure this has been done but how do I basically keep them alive from Friday at like 8AM till the next day around noon?

Thanks, never kept them alive more than a few hours from store to pot

Easiest way is to keep them on ice. I would put a towel over them with ice on top. Keep the lid opened a little bit and let the water drain out.

Comment

Ice puts them to sleep. Keep water drained or they will drown. Not too much ice. Just enough to keep them good and cold. They will keep for a week or more if they don't dry out too much or drown from too much water.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonnie View Post
        Easiest way is to keep them on ice. I would put a towel over them with ice on top. Keep the lid opened a little bit and let the water drain out.
        this

Comment

Yep just ice them down and don't let them drown

Comment

Originally posted by Nonnie View Post
            This but no need to keep the lid open, just keep drain plug open and tilt box so water from melting ice does not stand on bottom. Enough air exchange will occur thru drain plug. Make sure crawfish are in good health when you get them and hopefully hasn't been held in a cooler already for several days when you purchase them.

Comment

Wow, thought it would be way easier for them to die.

Comment

That's how we do it. I want them to get plenty of air so I open the lid just enough to have a space all around the front of the lid and put a piece of cardboard in to keep it open like that.

Comment

Throw em in your truck cover with a tarp if it’s not to hot they will be fine. Keep out of direct sunlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                    Wow, thought it would be way easier for them to die.
                    Nah, I keep them from Friday night til Sunday evening all the time this way.

If you have an HEB close to the lease order from them and pick up the same day.

Comment

Working...
                    X