Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oregon to Kill Sea Lions

What do you think of this?

I don't see a problem with killing sea lions if it means saving the winter steelhead from going extinct. From the article it says they tried barriers and using underwater explosives with no effect. What other methods are left to try?

Comment

Do they eat good? Lol I mean sell some tags as a hunt, I’m sure somebody has wanted to hunt one.

Comment

No problems here. If they could get hunters to take them, and sell licenses for it, making a little extra money to manage their wildlife better, that would be even better. But I can only imagine what those tree huggers up there would do if they saw that.

Comment

I’d try eating one.

Comment

If they're contemplating regulating the population of the sea lions, they should also look at issuing permits to the public and generate revenue through the hunting/permits to put back into conservation programs rather than having the so called "sharp shooters" take them out with no economical gain. Similar to Mountain Lions in Cali. The lions are illegal to shoot per the Cali hunter yet they have govt "sharp shooters" take them out. Seems a little A** Backwards to me. If the govt is going to regulate populations of any animal they should open it to the public and the cost of permits and licenses should be put back in to various wildlife conservation programs. All in all I'm ok with it as long as there's still a sustainable population for generations to come.

Comment

Good for them.

Comment

I agree with giving hunters a chance to thin the herd. It won't happen though.

Comment

probably not much 'hunting' to it.

Comment

Originally posted by MDemel View Post
                    If they're contemplating regulating the population of the sea lions, they should also look at issuing permits to the public and generate revenue through the hunting/permits to put back into conservation programs rather than having the so called "sharp shooters" take them out with no economical gain. Similar to Mountain Lions in Cali. The lions are illegal to shoot per the Cali hunter yet they have govt "sharp shooters" take them out. Seems a little A** Backwards to me. If the govt is going to regulate populations of any animal they should open it to the public and the cost of permits and licenses should be put back in to various wildlife conservation programs. All in all I'm ok with it as long as there's still a sustainable population for generations to come.
                    x2. I just don't agree with the govt doing any of the removal or controlling, this should be left to the public through license and permit/tag sales.

Comment

I just got back from the area recently, When your salmon fishing 5 miles up river from the pacific,and you see 7 of them in the next 3 miles, they can stand to lose a few. Last year i saw maybe a thousand floating on the kelp beds near shore. They have to take a huge toll on the fishery.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        I agree with giving hunters a chance to thin the herd. It won't happen though.
                        This^^^

Comment

Wait till PETA hears about this...

Comment

This is a bandaid (but potentially an effective one) to a bigger problem for wild salmon and steelhead runs across the Pacific Northwest. Unless the dams come down on the Snake and Columbia, things look very grim for fish populations.

This story talks about legislation to make it easier for states to kill the sea lions.
                            Congress has passed a bill that will make it easier to kill sea lions threatening fragile runs of salmon in the Northwest.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                              probably not much 'hunting' to it.
                              Maybe, maybe not, but, it would be a conversation piece to have on display at the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X