6.5 Cm question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Cm question

What do you guys think the 6.5 creedmoor is suitable for hunting ie Deer, Elk and so on?

You probably are gonna get a lot of opinions here. For deer mulies and whitetail I would say defiantly. As far as elk it will generate enough energy to take one down but my own personal preference I would rather have something larger like a 300 WM or 7mm mag.

Comment

Are you kidding me, it's a 6.5 freekin creedmoor for Christ sake. You can shoot a elephant in the a s s at a mile and it will be DRT!

I would look an a ballistic chart and go by energy. Thin skinned game 1000lb energy or more and 1200 lb energy for elk sized game.

Comment

It will kill an elk, it may not be the best choice under every condition but it will work.

Comment

This is going to be a good thread.

Comment

.308 would be my bare minimum for elk.
            Would a 6.5 work? Probably so. Will a 204 work for deer? Yes, but definitely not my first choice.

Comment

Anything an arrow can kill.

Comment

More than adequate for elk, if the shooter keeps it inside it's limitations. It's not a big 7 or big 30....and you can't make it one, but at a reasonable distance it will cleanly do the job. Have seen it too many times to doubt it.

Comment

I wouldn't use it on elk. I wouldn't even use it on mule deer. For either, I'd have my .30-06 or something larger. Will it work? Yeah? The best choice? Not in my opinion. But I tend toward larger calibers and have shot a few whitetail does with a .375 H&H........

LWD

Comment

If folks take a hard look at the data, they'll see it doesn't lag too far behind some of the more common elk cartridges. Randy Newberg shoots all his elk with 7mm-08 or 308 and he has piles of elk. These days, bullet choice spoils us and makes all the cartridge options more and more equal.

For what it's worth, I'm taking a 6.5cm to hunt cow elk this year.

Hornady lists their 6.5 creedmoor 143 grain eld-x good up to 1500# animals.

Comment

This debate should not be permitted

Comment

Would I shoot an elk at 5-600 yards with a creedmoor, NO. BUT a properly placed shot out to 300, sure. I had a older friend that lived and guided in New Mexico and guided for many years. All he used was a 243 and killed a lot of very large bulls with it.
                        Just my .02

Comment

243. Is a bad***** not even in same ballpark as 6.5 cm

Comment

The 6.5 x 55 Swede has taken more Moose than any other caliber. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a perfectly fine round for Elk. People kill them with sharp devices on the ends of arrows all the time.

Comment

It will work on elk in a pinch, great deer and lope round.

Comment

Working...
                              X