Snakes in the yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snakes in the yard

Here on the Escarpment of Mpumalanga I have a few snake species and I tolerate most of them except one or two.

The one most likely to come into the yard is called a Rinkhals, its part of the cobra family.
    It has a neurotoxic venom that can be quite dangerous.

We dont find pistol snake shot in South Africa and I have started to make my own snake shot using 308 brass and no 7,5 shot.

I place a 38 caliber gas check on top of the load and crimp it to ensure I have enough pressure to cycle the slide.

This has become my one up round in the 45 ACP Colt Government thats my EDC pistol.

Its mid summer here and with February looming the time I mostly expect rinkhals to move around from experience.

Just after 13:00 the two dogs started barking especially Ryker my GSP , this was a different bark from what I am used too.

I took the pistol and has I am heading out the door the neighbor shouted that he has seen a rinkals close to the steps next to the vehicle gate...

Looking around in the plants I saw a similar site

The 45ACP did the job with a good pattern against the wall...
    Look at the wall and holes in the plant leaves...

The snake was about a meter long and will be go to the Secretary Bird at the Bird of Prey Centre will have a nice brunch tomorrow...

The next two months I will have to be on alert for another possible snake encounter in the yard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good work sir!!!![emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

And people over here think rattlesnakes are bad.

Comment

Yikes!!

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
          And people over here think rattlesnakes are bad.
          Exactly my thoughts...

Comment

Nice job and be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
              Exactly my thoughts...
              People in Africa are like "I'm gonna go mow the yard and try not to die today. Wish me luck."

Comment

That's a wild looking snake... I'll keep dealing with rattle snakes in west texas

Comment

I looked at the pic before I saw who posted and thought WTH in Texas??????

be safe

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

I know you guys deal with rattle snakes across the pond and thought you would find the incident interesting.

I am actually lucky as Rinkhals can be cheeky and can spit venom they are nothing compared to the Mozambique Spitting Cobra found in lower areas.

I have been getting reports that people start to find puff adders also around my area and they are another nasty snake to contend with in summer time...

Comment

Very nicely done! Handsome critters. Ive given up on snake shot for rattlers here...they are barely phased and barely bleed....out comes the 8 foot 2 3/8” terminal (literally and figuritively) post for a death chop. I keep a post handy in each chicken run.

Please, Could you post some pics of your homemade snake shot rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                        Very nicely done! Handsome critters. Ive given up on snake shot for rattlers here...they are barely phased and barely bleed....out comes the 8 foot 2 3/8” terminal (literally and figuritively) post for a death chop. I keep a post handy in each chicken run.

I followed this video on YouTube

The biggest challenge was to find a 41 Magnum die set in South Africa

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post

Yeah cci snake shot is way to small #12 shot or #9 shot in large caliber pistol
                          Effective range way to close IMO for spitting cobras, I can see why OP is reloading with #7 1/2
                          God I hate snakes can’t imagine one blinding me by spitting in my eyes ( spitting accurately to 2.5 meters)
                          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-13-2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Kinda surprised no one has defended the snake...

Awesome thread!!! Seeing that snek would have made me poop my pants. That hood is extremely intimidating. Had no idea conbra were in Afrika.

Comment

That black and white belly pattern is very intriguing.

Comment

Working...
                              X