Feeder Pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Pen

Our Protein station needs improvements. We added Hog panels 2years ago, to keep out the pigs and didn't have any problems from live stock when it was just barbed wire. This summer the Cows started to get in the pen. i am assuming they bare jumping in and breaking out. I know they are breaking out. How high can we add Barbed wire before it become a deterrent for the deer? Should we add another barbed wire fence about 4-5 feet outside of original to keep cows off? Any other suggestions beside shooting the live stock?

Not using barbed wire on my pen but I initially had hog panels on my pen that the cows figured out. They would lean over the hog panels to feed in the pen and when they figured out there was a little give in the panels it was game over. I replaced all the panels with cattle panels and cut down one to two panels with bolt cutters to give the deer a good entry point and reinforced this lower area with several extra t-posts so there was no give. Deer still come in the pen but haven't had an issue with cows since.

Comment

The few feeder pens we have built all had to have at least barbed wire on the very top or the cows would just push the wire and get into the pen. Once we went to barbed wire, they stopped getting in.

Comment

Ours has a top row of barbed wire and they still get in.

Comment

Working...
        X