Question about ATV tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about ATV tires

I recently bought my first 4 wheeler - a used Grizzly 550. It still has the stock tires, 4 ply Maxxim MU20. (only about 300 miles on them) My question is about how puncture resistant they are. I know a mesquite thorn will go through just about any tire but what about cactus? Can I plow right through the prickly pear without getting a flat? I do that in our Bad Boy but I'm a bit hesitant to do it on the quad until I know the tires can handle it. I was going to add sealant but I'm not sure if there is any already in the tires. The guy I bought it from did not add sealant but he was the second owner.

I have had cactus stick to 4 wheeler tires but luckily just in the tread (the tread is about 2” thick on this tire).
    I personally would be careful but sealant “should” be good enough. Don’t use slime. There is some ATV specific sealant out there.

Comment

Slime.

Comment

Go buy a gallon container of sealant, pink or green they both work, I use whatever is cheaper at the time, put one quart in each tire. IF the first owner put any in there by this time it is ready for a new shot of sealant.
        I don't intentionally run through cactus, but i see it sticking in my tires and i don't have any flats, it doesn't concern me to run cactus over, I just don't make it a habit. When i changed my last set of tires they had several thorns of various types of thorns sticking through the inside of the tire.
        If you feel the need to really know if the tires have sealant in them, clock your tire with the valve stem pointing down and push in the valve, it will spew sealant out if their is any in there, but it wont tell you if you have enough in the tire.
        Add the quart per tire and you will be good to go!

Comment

Slime is corrosive. I researched many of the sealants and settled on this one.

Comment

I slimed mine.

Comment

Depends if you got extra money, but if you have it I would go buy some 6 ply and the tread aggressiveness that works for your area.

With the new 6 ply or stock tires, I would slim or other type and also keep a tire plug kit on board at all times. I have plug some 6 ply with good success.

Just my thoughts.

J

Comment

Working...
              X