Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #1851
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Rougy just sent one to upper deck. 7-5
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #1852
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

I'd like to cordially invite our Arlington brothers to seek asylum in the Astros band wagon for the remainder of the 2019 year.
Theres a little room left and we'd sure like it filled with folks from Texas.

Wait.. Arlington IS in Texas right?

Just a little breggy the MVP reference there..

Seriously, cmon wit it and go stros
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #1853
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Saw Jon Daniels on a flight to Phoenix the other day. About 6 inches from greatness as I passed him on the plane a few weeks ago! Same day news broke they shut down Gallo. I imagine he was going to Surprise to tell him in person.

It got me to thinking...Are y'all fans of JD?

I love the guy, think he has done wonders for our franchise and I believe that he's extremely smart and relies on the right people for scouting. I think what we're feeling now is the effects of selling everything for our 2 world series visits and being in contention through most of the 2010's. I have faith that JD will get us back to the promise land and is currently making the correct moves to get us there.

What about y'all?
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #1854
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
I'd like to cordially invite our Arlington brothers to seek asylum in the Astros band wagon for the remainder of the 2019 year.

I respectfully decline. I will not root for our biggest rival.

I guess if I had to pull for a team, I would pull for Minnesota? Feels weird, but hate the other teams (NY, HOU, OAK) or their fan base (TB). Not really a national league guy, but I love the Cards rich history and their fans seem great. I went to St Louis and love the atmosphere. It's great to see Atlanta back in it this year... I wouldn't mind seeing them do well. I also love Kershaw, good dude. I'm indifferent to Washington.

Can't wait to watch some Oct Baseball while waiting for deer!
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #1855
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:

Thanks but I’ll take a hard pass. Go COWBOYS!!
Old 09-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #1856
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Watching the last game at Globe Life via tube. Gonna be a tough act for the new park to follow IMO.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:41 PM   #1857
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Class act.............as always!!

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/ra...-kenny-rogers/
Old 09-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #1858
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Seeing all these old Rangers is awesome!

My guy Will Clark even showed up.

They’ve all been eating well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 07:26 PM   #1859
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

So long 2019.
mikemorvan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2019, 07:30 PM   #1860
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

Kenny Rogers looked to be in pretty good shape still. I saw and spoke to him at the Tom Thumb in Trophy Club last summer. He was very polite and I didn’t even think about asking him for an autograph or pic.

Hmmm.......maybe that’s why he was so nice

Sayonara boys.....it’s been real.

Last edited by RascalArms; 09-29-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:16 AM   #1861
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Till next year.
Pstraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 12:25 AM   #1862
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

I still can’t believe it was the last game at that ballpark. It still seems brand new to me. Remember watching Igor taking batting practice in there with a hard hat on while it was still under construction.

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 12:29 AM   #1863
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV77 View Post
I still can’t believe it was the last game at that ballpark. It still seems brand new to me. Remember watching Igor taking batting practice in there with a hard hat on while it was still under construction.

I had season tickets for the first season. 1994 or 95 if I recall correctly. Time flies.

rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #1864
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

Quote:

He is one of my all-time favorites. He played and managed the club house exactly as it should have been done. Something's been lost with the current generation of players.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #1865
camoclad
Eight Point

Hunt In: central tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom87 View Post
Saw Jon Daniels on a flight to Phoenix the other day. About 6 inches from greatness as I passed him on the plane a few weeks ago! Same day news broke they shut down Gallo. I imagine he was going to Surprise to tell him in person.

It got me to thinking...Are y'all fans of JD?

I love the guy, think he has done wonders for our franchise and I believe that he's extremely smart and relies on the right people for scouting. I think what we're feeling now is the effects of selling everything for our 2 world series visits and being in contention through most of the 2010's. I have faith that JD will get us back to the promise land and is currently making the correct moves to get us there.

What about y'all?
I have suspicions about JD. His record is horrible minus 2010 to about 2013. It's the people you put around you that makes championships and he has shown he can do that but most of his tenure has been serious misses. See Jeff banister and Doug brocail. Most people love him, so I'm probably the common denominator here....
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #1866
systemnt
Pope & Young

Lotsa clubs needing managers ...
Old 09-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #1867
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

I have absolutely no problem with Woodward, or JD....but I'd fire either of them for Joe Madden, RIGHT NOW!
Old 09-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #1868
systemnt
Pope & Young

Brad ausmunch just got fired from the reds . So..hes available too
Old 09-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #1869
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Brad ausmunch just got fired from the reds . So..hes available too

I wonder if Arte money whips Joe?

Old 09-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #1870
systemnt
Pope & Young

https://www.facebook.com/53293384623...6840852154624/
Old 09-30-2019, 10:34 PM   #1871
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Solid lineup of greatness....with the exception of Felix and Hank Blalock. Give me a break

Would love to have seen Gonzo show up.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #1872
camoclad
Eight Point

Just listened to a radio segment on the state of the Rangers. Short take, this thing may be a cluster for many more seasons. IF there is a rebuild plan, it's not apparent to me. Is it to any of y'all? Signs of life?

It may be JD or ownership (it's one or both of them though) that's caused the breakdown, hard to put your finger on it. After all the ridiculous hall of fame shenanigans this year, new stadium (a roof could have been built on the current beauty), player misses, coaching misses, fake grass gate, etc.. unfortunately when I look at that organization I see a three ring circus. With circus music and all....
Old 10-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #1873
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoclad View Post
Just listened to a radio segment on the state of the Rangers. Short take, this thing may be a cluster for many more seasons. IF there is a rebuild plan, it's not apparent to me. Is it to any of y'all? Signs of life?

It may be JD or ownership (it's one or both of them though) that's caused the breakdown, hard to put your finger on it. After all the ridiculous hall of fame shenanigans this year, new stadium (a roof could have been built on the current beauty), player misses, coaching misses, fake grass gate, etc.. unfortunately when I look at that organization I see a three ring circus. With circus music and all....
Roof actually could not have been built on the current stadium, I've been told. Cost-prohibitive (yes, I realize the new stadium is super expensive).

I agree the HOF stuff was a little weird this season. Mainly, that if Michael Young was going in, he should've gone in before Beltre. It was like they forgot about him and threw him in at the last minute to make sure he got inducted in the old stadium.

Every team misses on players, and a lot miss on coaches. The Rangers really like Woodward, and I think you'd have to agree that Minor and Lynn were anything but "misses". When you operate a business with hundreds to thousands of employees, you're going to have hits and misses--that's how business go.

Can you be a little more specific about the three ring circus?
Grayson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #1874
camoclad
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Roof actually could not have been built on the current stadium, I've been told. Cost-prohibitive (yes, I realize the new stadium is super expensive).

I agree the HOF stuff was a little weird this season. Mainly, that if Michael Young was going in, he should've gone in before Beltre. It was like they forgot about him and threw him in at the last minute to make sure he got inducted in the old stadium.

Every team misses on players, and a lot miss on coaches. The Rangers really like Woodward, and I think you'd have to agree that Minor and Lynn were anything but "misses". When you operate a business with hundreds to thousands of employees, you're going to have hits and misses--that's how business go.

Minor and Lynn made for a watchable game every time they started. In a rebuild, you pray for guys like that, to get you through the year or trade for prospects.i agree that was a hit.

Three ring circus, Arlington, cowboys stadium, six flags, wet n wild... you know, another entertainment gimmick, two new pro baseball stadiums, side by side.... one may be used as a pro football stadium, next to the other new football stadium.... it's a circus. Not that that excludes future pennants and world series trophies, um but...

Oh, and the bowling hall of fame.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #1875
camoclad
Eight Point

It just doesn't look like a rebuild at this point or a desire to play serious championship baseball.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #1876
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

The Rangers don’t run wet n wild, 6 flags, or the cowboys, ya know.

I’d like to see them putting the team together right now also, but that’s just not reality. The playoffs started twonights ago… I wouldn’t expect much until the winter meetings.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #1877
camoclad
Eight Point

Quote:
The Rangers don’t run wet n wild, 6 flags, or the cowboys, ya know.

I’d like to see them putting the team together right now also, but that’s just not reality. The playoffs started twonights ago… I wouldn’t expect much until the winter meetings.

I do.

Let me clarify. It just doesn't look like the win column is most important to the organization right now. Why else would you leave a perfectly good (some say one of the nicest) ballpark and build a different venue if your priorities haven't shifted.... away from wins, towards "glitz and glam" as the master of ceremonies across the creek has stated (jerry)? I don't blame them, money is fine and being profitable is great and if your next door neighbor is the wealthiest sports franchise in the world and is showing you that winning isn't required to do that, wouldn't you follow that lead? In my twisted mind it makes perfect sense and admittedly it's all opinion but it looks really obvious to me. It's just not about on the field right now. Its not... let's be honest. Build a new stadium, that's fine, just don't pretend it's about winning when the truth is you want a 365 entertainment venue. Don't pretend real v fake grass was a thing when fake grass was always the choice, because it's easier when you have 200 other events a year that aren't baseball. Again, all my crazy arse opinion but its what's what. Just like with the cowboys during the new stadium and training facility years, its probably going to be really lean as far as winning goes for awhile.

Last edited by camoclad; 10-05-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #1878
camoclad
Eight Point

And the new venue will probably be kick ***, both can be true
Old 10-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #1879
systemnt
Pope & Young

DM says eff the new park.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #1880
kevin01
Ten Point

Anyone ever think the new ballpark might help get talent that didn't want to come here and melt.
kevin01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #1881
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
I do.

Let me clarify. It just doesn't look like the win column is most important to the organization right now. Why else would you leave a perfectly good (some say one of the nicest) ballpark and build a different venue if your priorities haven't shifted.... away from wins, towards "glitz and glam" as the master of ceremonies across the creek has stated (jerry)? I don't blame them, money is fine and being profitable is great and if your next door neighbor is the wealthiest sports franchise in the world and is showing you that winning isn't required to do that, wouldn't you follow that lead? In my twisted mind it makes perfect sense and admittedly it's all opinion but it looks really obvious to me. It's just not about on the field right now. Its not... let's be honest. Build a new stadium, that's fine, just don't pretend it's about winning when the truth is you want a 365 entertainment venue. Don't pretend real v fake grass was a thing when fake grass was always the choice, because it's easier when you have 200 other events a year that aren't baseball. Again, all my crazy arse opinion but its what's what. Just like with the cowboys during the new stadium and training facility years, its probably going to be really lean as far as winning goes for awhile.
I said as soon as they started this talk of the new stadium, that they were just inflating the value of the franchise to sell. Maybe, maybe not.

The new stadium should boost revenue in a lot of different ways, hopefully boosting payroll as well. It definitely will boost attendance...but they'll have to win to keep it up.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #1882
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
DM says eff the new park.
I still do, baseball should be played outside! But if you think I won't go rest my sack on a 72 degree seat to watch a game in July...you have misjudged the situation!
Old 10-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #1883
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
I still do, baseball should be played outside! But if you think I won't go rest my sack on a 72 degree seat to watch a game in July...you have misjudged the situation!
Ima gonna get you a tshirt dale that reads
" if you aint sweating, freezing, or getting rained on ..you aint in a ball park.
Go Rangers!"

Old 10-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #1884
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
" if you aint sweating, freezing, or getting rained on ..you aint in a ball park.
Go Rangers!"

I can be freezing at 72 when it’s 105 outside no problem!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #1885
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Go Rangers!"

That’s greatness!

Old 10-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #1886
camoclad
Eight Point

Quote:
I said as soon as they started this talk of the new stadium, that they were just inflating the value of the franchise to sell. Maybe, maybe not.

The new stadium should boost revenue in a lot of different ways, hopefully boosting payroll as well. It definitely will boost attendance...but they'll have to win to keep it up.
Maybe..... smart on ownerships part. Have the city take the risk and capitalize $$$$$

Maybe..... new stadium, cowboys, Texas live, xfl, medal of honor museum, six flags... if that doesn't get visitation nothing will. Not convinced that translates into acquisitions.

Oh, and bowling hall of fame. Sports!
Old 10-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #1887
camoclad
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I can be freezing at 72 when it’s 105 outside no problem!
Truth
Old 10-15-2019, 11:20 PM   #1888
MBV77
Ten Point

Quote:

The Rangers have hundreds of thousands of employees?

Old 10-15-2019, 11:24 PM   #1889
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV77 View Post
The Rangers have hundreds of thousands of employees?

“To” not “of”. Organization-wide, I would guess that the number is in the couple thousand range. But I haven’t actually counted. Even if it’s hundreds the premise does not change.
Grayson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #1890
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
I wonder if Arte money whips Joe?

Mmm hmm.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #1891
MBV77
Ten Point

Quote:
“To” not “of”. Organization-wide, I would guess that the number is in the couple thousand range. But I haven’t actually counted. Even if it’s hundreds the premise does not change.

I got ya. I misread what you wrote, but you’re right.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #1892
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Mmm hmm.

Son of a ......
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #1893
camoclad
Eight Point

Quote:
Son of a ......
That organization has money whipped good baseball men before though....

And it's been hilarious!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:22 PM   #1894
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Rangers have plenty to deal with before the other clubs managers become an issue. If JD can't find some pitchers, some hitters and some defenders the Rangers manager and the other teams managers are a moot point. I think.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #1895
camoclad
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
Rangers have plenty to deal with before the other clubs managers become an issue. If JD can't find some pitchers, some hitters and some defenders the Rangers manager and the other teams managers are a moot point. I think.
So, basically a whole team just about... (I agree)
Old 10-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #1896
camoclad
Eight Point

Quote:
Son of a ......
It is done
Old 10-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #1897
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Quote:
So, basically a whole team just about... (I agree)
2 starting pitchers
a bunch of relievers
I like Guzman at first base, but he has to hit.
I'd like to see Solak at 2nd base, but that means JD has to do something w/ Odor. I don't know that another team will take him at any price.
Elvis needs to get leaner and quicker. Somehow.
I'd personally like to see IKF at 3rd base. But i don't know if he has enough power at the plate to be a legit corner infielder.
I like J. Trevino at catcher. I think he can be good enough.
Willie Calhoun needs to get leaner and quicker as well. He can hit, but well enough to be a corner outfielder? I don't know that he will ever have an adequate defensive arm.
Center field?? DDS would be a good enough defensive replacement on a really good team. Gallo? He has to stay healthy. I'm starting to think his swing is just to violent for the structure of his body. If he can stay healthy and quick enough, i like him in center. If not, then left field. But then there's no home for Calhoun.
Mazara in right field. Once again, he needs to do something. He's about to be out of chances to produce. it wouldn't surprise me if he was included in a trade this winter.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Danny Santana. He hit a wall last season. Was the first part of the season a flash in the pan? Have to find out, somehow.

It seems to me the club has several players with partial games / tool sets. But very few with complete sets of tools.

So, yeah, there's a lot of work to do to assemble a competitive club. The division isn't getting any easier any time soon.

Internet GM'ing is easy.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #1898
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
2 starting pitchers
a bunch of relievers
I like Guzman at first base, but he has to hit.
I'd like to see Solak at 2nd base, but that means JD has to do something w/ Odor. I don't know that another team will take him at any price.
Elvis needs to get leaner and quicker. Somehow.
I'd personally like to see IKF at 3rd base. But i don't know if he has enough power at the plate to be a legit corner infielder.
I like J. Trevino at catcher. I think he can be good enough.
Willie Calhoun needs to get leaner and quicker as well. He can hit, but well enough to be a corner outfielder? I don't know that he will ever have an adequate defensive arm.
Center field?? DDS would be a good enough defensive replacement on a really good team. Gallo? He has to stay healthy. I'm starting to think his swing is just to violent for the structure of his body. If he can stay healthy and quick enough, i like him in center. If not, then left field. But then there's no home for Calhoun.
Mazara in right field. Once again, he needs to do something. He's about to be out of chances to produce. it wouldn't surprise me if he was included in a trade this winter.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Danny Santana. He hit a wall last season. Was the first part of the season a flash in the pan? Have to find out, somehow.

It seems to me the club has several players with partial games / tool sets. But very few with complete sets of tools.

So, yeah, there's a lot of work to do to assemble a competitive club. The division isn't getting any easier any time soon.

Internet GM'ing is easy.
About as solid an assessment as I could ever come up with. Lots of needs that’s for sure.
I like some of the “potential” the young guys have in terms of upside. Would love to see Odor turn it around since the option of unloading his contract isn’t exactly feasible. Offensively and defensively this club is at least serviceable IMO. The obvious missing link is arms. There’s Minor and Lynn.......................then...............yeah , I got nothing.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #1899
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
About as solid an assessment as I could ever come up with. Lots of needs that’s for sure.
I like some of the “potential” the young guys have in terms of upside. Would love to see Odor turn it around since the option of unloading his contract isn’t exactly feasible. Offensively and defensively this club is at least serviceable IMO. The obvious missing link is arms. There’s Minor and Lynn.......................then...............yeah, I got nothing.
I'm including Allard. I think he has something.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #1900
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Astros are making it easy for the rangers to look good tonight!!!.... through 5 anyway
When's the parade?
zztex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top