2020 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
    So the big trout story. We were on a drift on a spot where I catch quite a few big trout. I regularly catch 28"+ trout off that spot. And lots and lots of 25"+.

So we are drifting this spot and it has had basically two weeks to rest. We slid in there and I got us lined up on a great drift line. We are catching steadily. We had trout up to 24". I look up and the lady on the bow of my boat was doubled over on a fish and the fish was moving sideways at a high rate of speed. Big fish. So I get the net and head up front to get ready to net her fish. It cut back the other way and I saw her as she went by and when I say she was huge, she was HUGE. It takes alot for me to get excited and I was full on fired up. So I am coaching her on how to fight it. She gets it up to the boat and it was right beside the boat and it dives. No problem, lift easy, take your time. The fish comes up again and I started to net it but it was still a little green and it dove again and went up under the boat. She pulled the fish out and I was ready to net it. All of a sudden it pops up... and she had a 14" sand trout. I was like what the heck just happened? Then I realized the sand trout was in bad shape. That big momma had eaten a 14" sand trout and had it all the way down. The sand trout was hooked deep. She never got a hook in that big trout, she was just pulling it in by the sand trout in her gullet. So she had a 14", and thick, sand trout in her gullet and none of it was sticking out of the trout's mouth. The sand trout was big enough we took it in and fillet'ed it.

That trout was over 30" and the girth was crazy big. She is the one we all are fishing for. Just didn't get a hook in her.

That's awesome! About 10 years ago I caught a 50# yellowcat on Canyon and it ate a 1.5# channel cat that ate the original bait. The big one was never hooked and had the channel cat in its gut....

Comment

Nice haul gents.... hooking the RFL up now, trying to get some salt in before this Frio trip...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        Glen how is the tide looking???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Tide as in water height or tide as in flow?

Weak flow, good water levels.

Comment

Tide as in water height or tide as in flow?

Weak flow, good water levels.

Height is what I was referring to. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
            Nice haul gents.... hooking the RFL up now, trying to get some salt in before this Frio trip...
            You better hurry up and get some of these ice cream conditions. You might want to call ahead and see if you can reserve a parking spot down there.

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
              help an old salt out..... I'm looking to do some wade fishing for specks and reds... I no longer have a boat so I'd need walk-in access and I'd like the kids to get in on the action.... Where's the best place to go?

There are several places you can drive to in the south shore line of East Matty off the beach, but beware, it can get muddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                Have any of y'all fished the lights around sea isle or similar yet? They in there?

Thinking of burning a trip to Kayak the canals, take a nap, surf fish for trout in the am. And then burn back on a good weather day.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                Heard reports of trout under the Causeway lights in Galveston...

Comment

Heard reports of trout under the Causeway lights in Galveston...
                  Always wondered about that. Always looks rough from up above. Not sure about kayaking in the dark solo there having never been before.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                    Always wondered about that. Always looks rough from up above. Not sure about kayaking in the dark solo there having never been before.

Check out MDLR fishing on YouTube. He does it a bunch. Many times solo.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. I'll search that now.

Comment

Give me a call when you establish a plan

Comment

That dude is a goober.

Comment

Text sent Brent.

Philip he is for sure, but I enjoy watching him!

My favorite is Thresher for sure. Kid is fun to watch down in Corpus.

Comment

Text sent Brent.

Philip he is for sure, but I enjoy watching him!

My favorite is Thresher for sure. Kid is fun to watch down in Corpus.

I like that Thresher kid too. He doesn't try to be a bad@zz. He looks like he just really enjoys everything about fishing. He isn't the best fisherman but he doesn't claim to be or try to act like he is. I guess he just comes across as honest and genuine.

Comment

I like that Thresher kid too. He doesn't try to be a bad@zz. He looks like he just really enjoys everything about fishing. He isn't the best fisherman but he doesn't claim to be or try to act like he is. I guess he just comes across as honest and genuine.
                                I couldn't agree more. And he'll pull some crazy stuff... taking that little skiff offshore is a trip!

Comment

Working...
                                X