Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranger on Matagorda Beach

Howdy,

I’m seeking input for information from other folks who have taken their Rangers to Matagorda. I’d like to be able to drive it on the beach and know I need a permit.

We are staying at a beach house on Beach Front Drive and I would have to drive it on the highway to the beach entry. It is not street legal.

Question: have any of you guys had any issues doing this? If it’s not worth the hassle I’m not going to take it.

I would take it. I believe there is a little cutoff road so you don't have to take it on the actual beach road.

Comment

I wouldn't take mine now. I did take a four wheeler many years ago. I washed it off immediately after leaving the beach. After many baths there and at home, every piece of metal rusted. I still have the machine and smh at how stupid I was to have taken it down there. Maybe there are some preventative things I should have done prior to.

Comment

I have took my rhino to matagorda several times. Just make sure that you have the permit attached to where it’s visible. As far as taking it on the hwy how far do you have to drive ? I usually stay real close to the beach so it’s not far but if you are driving it a long ways on the hwy you could get a ticket if you aren’t street legal.

Comment

Pretty regular sheriffs deputy presence. I'm guessing if they roll up behind you on the highway you may have a problem. On the other smaller roads, doubt it would be an issue. Don't forget your orange triangle if you try it.

Comment

We usually access the beach from Beach Road which is north of the RV Park.

I did notice there is an access point by the Jetti Park. This access on the ranger would be ideal.

Yellow is estimated house, red is the typical route, green is preferred. Not sure if green is an option via atv??
            Attached Files
            Last edited by HoustonHunter; 07-18-2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Found this. I do not believe it is legal to have a UTV on the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                I did notice there is an access point by the Jetti Park. This access on the ranger would be ideal.
                This one is open. https://goo.gl/maps/spkxG5UG63J2 The better looking one (your green arrow) on the east side of the parking lot is gated off.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                  Found this. I do not believe it is legal to have a UTV on the beach.

I always thought it was illegal, got a ticket as a teenager for a 4-wheeler there, but lately down there I always see piles of UTVs on the beach.

Comment

If it is illegal it shouldn't be. 2 wheel drives cars and vans tear the beach up more than anything else

Comment

It’s illegal because the beach is considered a state highway and UTV’s are unregistered.

I know we had the sheriff stop us at the beach entrance years ago with 4 wheelers in the bed of our trucks and told us not to take them out.

Comment

Looks illegal from that document. Someone must have a local golf cart rental shop that knows the representative and the UTVs were conveniently left off the list,,,,,

Crystal Beach did a similar ordinance and for a while, the UTVs were not on the list but a 5 year old could drive a golf cart everywhere they wanted to go.

They have amended it and the carts can go anywhere but the UTVs have to be trailered to and from the beach, they can't drive on the county roads,,,,,,, Revenue Generation,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          It’s illegal because the beach is considered a state highway and UTV’s are unregistered.

I know we had the sheriff stop us at the beach entrance years ago with 4 wheelers in the bed of our trucks and told us not to take them out.

Which is BS as we have to buy permits to drive on the beach.

Comment

Sheriff's department only patrols the part that is maintained... about 2 to 2.5 miles down. You go down farther than that you'll be good, or take any of the roads to the bay ( make sure you're in a 4x4) . Lots of country to ride back in there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Illegal but never enforced. Since the new law has changed allowing the golf carts they are patrolling on a ranger as well. We've gotten a warning and we're told they are going to be writing tickets soon and that was back in May. My brother in law always used his ranger as a car in Sargent. Park the truck and doesn't get started again until Sunday leaving launch boat, go to bait shops etc and we've never been told not to until new law passed.

They said they may be legal newxt year but you have to get pay the fees add stuff to them etc same with the golf carts. Bill ortan is cop that handles our area primarily and gave lots of info/is well informed
                              Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 07-18-2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X