No announcement yet.

How Old Is He? Hard One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressive to be able to keep tabs on an old warrior like that.

Comment

Wait till the rutting neck and day light pic I bet he show his age again unless he 6.5 years or older from what I see they loose body fat and muscle (going down)

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
        Impressive to be able to keep tabs on an old warrior like that.
        x2, let alone all the rest of his running buddies as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy moss View Post
          Wait till the rutting neck and day light pic I bet he show his age again unless he 6.5 years or older from what I see they loose body fat and muscle (going down)
          Turns out you are correct. Read through these threads, there is some neat info it the actual text of them.

Comment

Old man ain't no punk... somehow I missed this thread... great educational post.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              Old man ain't no punk... somehow I missed this thread... great educational post.

These cameras sure have destroyed my confidence in the conventional wisdom. The only reason this deer lived past 6 was because he was just too close to call on AR width and I wouldnt risk letting a kid kill him and he not make it. He was a junker all the way.

Weird... hes not too bad this year at ten stinking years old. he has a bunch off junk off the back of his brows you cant see in that pic too.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                These cameras sure have destroyed my confidence in the conventional wisdom. The only reason this deer lived past 6 was because he was just too close to call on AR width and I wouldnt risk letting a kid kill him and he not make it. He was a junker all the way.

Weird... hes not too bad this year at ten stinking years old. he has a bunch off junk off the back of his brows you cant see in that pic too.
                Unless you know a deer intimately, such as you do this one there is no way to tell the exact age on the hoof. All you can assume is they're either young, 3.5 and under.. Mature 4.5 to 6.5, or post mature.. 7.5 or older. AND sometimes even that gets sticky.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  Old man ain't no punk...

Just for clarification....you talking about me or the deer? either way thanks!

Comment

Just for clarification....you talking about me or the deer? either way thanks!
                    Lmao, buddy I was talking about the deer. He's a warrior making it 10 years in those east Texas Hallows.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this back up with updates GG. So....will he make the list?

Comment

Good thread.

I think as we continue to let bucks get older, we will all learn alot more about them.

Comment

I thought I once read a photographic study (on TBH I thought) about deer antlers peaking and then waning as they get older. Was it just body size maybe? Can't find it.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                            I thought I once read a photographic study (on TBH I thought) about deer antlers peaking and then waning as they get older. Was it just body size maybe? Can't find it.
                            While there is no doubt thats the case, there are a ton of variables and individual deer behave differently. I had another deer grow his first trophy class antlers at 10 last year.

You might also look at another thread i bumped. FULL GROWN EAST TX DEER.

I am beginning to think that East tx deer naturally live to be older on average than anywhere else in the state due to slower tooth wear than other places.

Comment

Sure is hard to age them this time of year.
                              age em and add a year.

body on that bucks says five to me, but face angles say seven.

Comment

His beams are getting long.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X