Never seen before.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never seen before.

We restocked our tank last spring break, that is probably 2 acres and around 15' deep at the deepest part when full. It has been low for a while now but everything was ok. We had gotten around 4 or so inches from Sunday thru Thursday. I worked close to home Thursday morning and ate lunch at home and walked up to the pond to check and it was probably 2/3s full and merky. We received an additional 2.5 that evening in a short time and filled it up. Went to look again today and found hundreds of dead fish. Maybe a few made it. Pretty sad about it.

That bites......

Comment

Dammit

Gary

Comment

What would cause that?

Comment

Wonder if a chemical washed in it but that sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
            Wonder if a chemical washed in it but that sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            No chemicals. All the drainage that fills it is on us.

Comment

I'm guessing super muddy and no oxygen.

Comment

They drowned.

Comment

Yep pond probably "turned over" is what I have heard it called no idea what it is actually called. Basically lack of oxygen kills them.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

have Had similar happen a few times.

My end resolution has been a windmill aeration, works great until our little system last week. 60mph straight line winds ripped the hub off. Thankfully under warranty.

Comment

New water turned it over and lack of oxygen killed the fish. Very sad.

Comment

Just guessing, but it's a combination of factors- too much rain and increasing summer temps led to an algae bloom coupled with the pond turning over. Fish didn't have sufficient oxygen in the water.

As previously stated, some type of aeration might be needed. I had a similar event happen several years ago with a three year old pond that was just taking off in quality of fish. It sucks, I'm sorry to hear that happened!

You can manage the algae bloom with chemicals, but it becomes a big PIA. Anything to keep the water circulating-windmill, bubbler, etc will make a huge difference.

How much fertilizer, if any, is in the runoff? I had a couple of heavily fertilized coastal fields that drained into that pond. That type of runoff can increase the speed and severity of the bloom.

Comment

It simply ran out of oxygen

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            It flipped.. Rain will do that..

Here is a good read on the condition...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mYbIOZoszVJxCR
                            Good article.....thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                            X