Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious of your thoughts on the term "Ranch".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And that gets scary AC. You buy 10 acres and want to conserve the wildlife (by letting deer grow up etc) then you find out your just one in a line of “10 acre deer leases”. I spoke with a realtor in Kerrville yesterday and was told that the county commissioners office was getting involved in how parcels of land could be broken up. Seems they don’t wanna have to install roads, utilities, etc etc to all those “ranches”! Somebody has to pay for it, and it’s the tax payers.
    Last edited by Hogmauler; 05-27-2020, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I don't care at all, but IMO, its a regional thing. Here in East Texas only places that commonly get called a Ranch are big cattle places 3-400 acres or more. No timber places get called a ranch regardless of size. Usually the timber places are called Farm, the lease (even if they aren't leased), the land, or just "The ____ Place".

In Central Texas it seems to be all over the map on what people call it.

South Texas I hear Ranch more often on various sized places.

In SW Kansas and NW Oklahoma I only hear the big purely cattle places called a ranch. Rarely do I hear anything up there called a farm either, even farmland. Usually "The Miller Place", etc or "The Half-section" or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
        And that gets scary AC. You buy 10 acres and want to conserve the wildlife (by letting deer grow up etc) then you find out your just one in a line of “10 acre deer leases”. I spoke with a realtor in Kerrville yesterday and was told that the county commissioners office was getting involved in how small parcels of land could be broken up into. Seems they don’t wanna have to install roads, utilities, etc etc to all those “ranches”!

Rocksprings is even worse

Comment

I think folks are simply burned out with living in or around the armpit(hand raised) aka Houston or some other rat race and are looking to escape via commute. Back in the day we were primarily an agrarian society. People left that and flocked to the city.
          Now it’s being reversed and your seeing large tracts being parceled out to folks like me that can’t afford those size of tracts.

Comment

So what if I purchased a ranch and got rid of the cattle to improve the deer hunting? What do I call that place?

Comment

We need deer season back!

Comment

Ionly have 230 acres in Texas. However when I kill a deer on it and fill out the kill log and tag it asks for two pieces of location of kill identification information.
                County
                Name of Ranch, wildlife area, etc.
                It is not a designated wildlife area. Nor is it an etcetera.
                I'll take that to mean the great state of Texas recognizes my property as a ranch. [emoji6][emoji106]

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Ksbowhunter View Post
                  So what if I purchased a ranch and got rid of the cattle to improve the deer hunting? What do I call that place?
                  I would call that place no longer AG exempt

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                    I would call that place no longer AG exempt
                    Different state different rules!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                      I think maybe there is a misunderstanding. I do not give a rip what someone calls the land they own. They can call it the Bunny Ranch for all I care. Im just trying to gain some insight on why people think/say what they do when there is no foundation (as we generally know it) to base it on. I could call my home/land "The Dealership" if I chose to, but why? Im not selling anything here. I could call it a ranch also, but Im not farming/ranching anything here. My post is not to make someone wrong in what they say/do, but rather just to know why. If some of you weren't so fragile, you'd understand this. I am all about "Do W-T-F you want....its your life", so lets not make me out to be someone Im not.
                      The part in bold made me chuckle! I don't think anyone is fragile or taking this nearly as seriously as you might think they are. Like right now, if I were to say "Lighten up, Frances" I would just be kidding. Honest.

Comment

Whatever you want....we're in exactly the same boat, and we call ours the ranch.

We have 140 acres and are planning to add 130 acres to it.
                        We will use the same ranch gate to access the whole thing.

If I get the opportunity, we will buy every acre that comes up for sale that touches our place.

I wonder how much of Llano county I have to buy before I can get away with calling it a ranch?

Comment

Well if you're not ranching any livestock I'd just call it a piece of land. If i had a pond and removed the water, wouldn't be a pond anymore, it'd just be a low spot lol. Not sure why people are getting butt hurt on this lol. I call it as it functions. IMO a ranch has livestock but to each their own, which is plenty acceptable as well. I say call it whatever makes you happy. But when you hear me calling a Ford Ranger a Monster truck, don't question it...

Webster Definition of ranch (Entry 1 of 2)
                          1: a large farm for raising horses, beef cattle, or sheep
                          Last edited by Fmjag64; 05-27-2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Dang, guess my 2 acres should be labeled as "my property." lol

Comment

Originally posted by tonyguitarguy View Post
                              Dang, guess my 2 acres should be labeled as "my property." lol
                              If you're calling 2 acres a ranch, i guess i see what the OP was talking about.

Comment

In the process of buying 23.4 and im just going to call it the property, or the lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X