Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious of your thoughts on the term "Ranch".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have 1000 acres or more, then you have a ranch as per the unspoken West Texas standard.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      Why about those that grow crops and run cattle? I grew up farming and ranching 5600 acres, and we lived on 120. We grew wheat on both, and ran cattle on both. We called the 120 the farm, and the 5600 the ranch. I dang sure didn’t think the farm was a ranch, but at the same time I don’t really care what anyone else refers to their land is. Except them Californians lol I laugh when they call 1 acre a ranch
      Lol never put this much thought in it. Id say, and again just me and how i grew up, if you run cattle and farm crops on big piece of land, i'd call it a ranch. In my mind, livestock is what's needed to make it a "ranch" regardless of size.

BUT to that same note, if i had 30 acres with cattle, i'd probably call it my farm or my land bc ranch in my head usually is a bigger piece of land. Not that any of this matters just how my head processes lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
        Im curious to hear other's thoughts on how the term "ranch" is often used, both here and other places I've seen. This isn't to make anyone feel wrong for their use of the term, but rather just to get an idea of why..... I have a friend that bought 10 acres in the Texas hill country. There is nothing there besides a gate and a camper trailer. He calls it his ranch. No home, no barns/structures, and no livestock......all things that have typically defined what a "ranch" is for generations past.

I have grew up in/lived in southern Oklahoma most all my life. My grandfather had a ranch (property I still own today). There was a home there, many barns, outbuildings, horses, cows, pigs, chickens, pasture land to graze.....etc. In my mind, a ranch is a spread of land that is primarily used to raise and usually profit in some way from livestock. Cattle ranches, horse ranches, and I guess now days even wild game ranches.

However, it seems like anytime someone buys 5-10 acres of bare land these days, they tell everyone they bought a "ranch", or are going to the "ranch" for the weekend. They have no livestock, no home there, no nothing......

Anyway, just something to ponder.

I agree with you.

Comment

Since you asked how some people call small tracts ranches, I believe it's all about perspective. If you grew up in a family that never had land and one day you bought 5 acres, to you that would seem like a huge spread. You might call it a ranch and mention it to your friends over drinks. If you grew up on 10,000 acres then 500 might seem like a cow pen. The guys that seem to take the most issue with this have more land than the other guy. They feel that by calling 5 acres a ranch it diminishes the weight of the term when applied to their own holdings.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            Ranchette is the correct term
            This ^^^^^^

Comment

I think maybe there is a misunderstanding. I do not give a rip what someone calls the land they own. They can call it the Bunny Ranch for all I care. Im just trying to gain some insight on why people think/say what they do when there is no foundation (as we generally know it) to base it on. I could call my home/land "The Dealership" if I chose to, but why? Im not selling anything here. I could call it a ranch also, but Im not farming/ranching anything here. My post is not to make someone wrong in what they say/do, but rather just to know why. If some of you weren't so fragile, you'd understand this. I am all about "Do W-T-F you want....its your life", so lets not make me out to be someone Im not.

Speaking of fragile, I’m not sure why you quoted me to make your statement. I only mentioned you to agree with you

I’m not making you out to be anything you’re not.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Speaking of fragile, I’m not sure why you quoted me to make your statement. I only mentioned you to agree with you

I’m not making you out to be anything you’re not.
                No sir, the fragile comment was not directed towards you in any way.

Comment

Since sizes are being discussed here when does a stock tank become a lake?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Those midwesterners are gonna be ****** at yall calling their farms, ranches..
                    just don't call me late for dinner btw our farm is 900+acres ,with crops and cattle and we call it the farm

Comment

Third world problem

Comment

Originally posted by rjs68 View Post
                        Since sizes are being discussed here when does a stock tank become a lake?
                        boat ramp

Comment

I guess ours is a "ranchette" as we are near the size and cattle requirement but not quite. Lol
                          Last edited by BlackHogDown; 05-27-2020, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                            I agree with you, OP.

When I hear "ranch," I think cattle, home, etc. I also feel like it implies ownership. May be a whole 'nother can of worms but it irks me when people refer to their weekend hunting lease trip as "going to the ranch."

"Hunting ranch", as Jerp mentioned, is ok but "hunting property" sounds better... to me.
                            Haha I’m guilty of that one. The large majority of the time I call it the lease, but on occasion I’ve slipped up and said heading to the ranch.

Comment

Many years ago one of our associate pastures would tell his wife he was gonna go out and “walk the property”. He’d put his pistol in his pocket and go outside and “walk” his property. All 1/4 acres of it! True story. Maybe wishful thinking on his part. Personally, living on 10-15 acres would be a ranch compared to living in a subdivision. IMO.

Comment

No sir, the fragile comment was not directed towards you in any way.

I assumed it wasn’t. I don’t see anyone making comments on here that would make me consider them fragile. My idea of a ranch is a working cattle ranch, but to each his own. True ranches are fewer and fewer now days. They are turning into 10 acre lots where everyone is either building a house or hunting on their 10 acres.

Comment

Working...
                                X