No announcement yet.

Lightning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason you are safe in a car is not the rubber tires - most have steel belts in them and the rain is a conductor too - the metal cage forms what's known as a faraday cage - the same thing on a plane. Electricity always takes the quickest path to ground. I had a customer in Co. that loved fishing and had been hit 4 times!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
      You did your family wrong putting them into that danger......doesn't matter what you were in, lightning is dangerous.
      I’m glad you are perfect.

If you haven’t had a storm form and blow in on you unexpectedly then you haven’t been outdoors much. It went from sunny sky’s to lightning in 5 minutes. I was in an enclosed box blind with only two small windows in the front. Storm came in from behind me.

Thanks for nothing. Get off your high horse

Comment

I would rather get soaking wet a good distance from the stand than ride out a lightning storm in an elevated stand. Especially if it is the highest thing around.

However, if it was not lightning much I would probably stay in the stand and hope the random bolt didn't hit

I have been run off the lake several times by lightning, at least one time it was hitting real close before we got in someone's boathouse.

Comment

I do not hunt with lightning in the area. Had a buddy's blind get struck by lightning, fortunately he was not in it at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
            You don't know either.
            if it hit the blind??!??!?? i think i do no some people

Comment

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
              I’m glad you are perfect.

If you haven’t had a storm form and blow in on you unexpectedly then you haven’t been outdoors much. It went from sunny sky’s to lightning in 5 minutes. I was in an enclosed box blind with only two small windows in the front. Storm came in from behind me.

Thanks for nothing. Get off your high horse
              You asked for opionions. He gave you his. No biggie.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                I used to have no fear of lightning, what are the chances of getting struck by lightning, supposedly very low. So far, I have been zapped at least once, but it was not by the full strength of the lightning, just enough to really get my attention. I was standing in about a foot of water, when a lightning bolt struck a telephone pole about 30 yards away. That knocked the crap out of me, enough to get my attention. Then almost got zapped inside a pole barn one night. Lighting shot up from the concrete and then down from a chain and intersected right in front of my face. Then we had lightning hit a high line pole out in the bay, about 75 yards from us, my buddy got a good jolt from that one.

I have seen multiple vehicles, trees and other things that have been hit by lightning. You really never know what type of damage it will do, till it strikes. Sometimes, there is only minor damage, other times, the damage is truly amazing. Hard to understand some of the things I have seen. Trying to predict what lighting will do when it hits something is not a gamble I am really willing to take. Being in a elevated blind, with a metal stand Not something I would do, ever. **** sure would not stay in a elevated stand with my wife and child in the stand. There have been multiple stories of lighting striking a group of cattle or other animals and killing all of them. I don't mind getting wet, when hunting. If I had a choice of getting soaked by heavy rain or struck by lightning, I would go for the rain any day.

Lightning is way too unpredictable to take a chance with a high risk situation, basically taking a chance with something that greatly increases your chances of getting hit, by lighting.

You should start buying Powerball tickets

Comment

I think I would have stayed in it also. I would rather have some cover then no cover at all just glad you and the kids are ok. I Know you would never put them in harms way we have did shoots with your daughter for probably the past 3 years glad you guys are ok

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                    if it hit the blind??!??!?? i think i do no some people
                    People have taken direct hits and lived. So no, no you don't. It would be interesting to see if the OP could go back and see exactly where the strike was. Whose to say, at this point, that it didn't hit the blind.

Comment

Working...
                    X