Acorns are dropping, velvet is disappearing, season is slowly changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acorns are dropping, velvet is disappearing, season is slowly changing

I hand feed deer at the house every day. All summer it's been spikes, fawns and does with one older 8. Two days ago, a group of three older bucks from last winter show up and ate like they have never left. 75% of all the bucks are out of velvet.

Last night, they left corn on the ground for the first time this year. They are hitting the oaks around the neighborhood nonstop.

This morning, a spike w/o velvet challenged one with velvet. The sparred for a good minute.

Tonight, two of the larger buck squared up and sparred for three bouts. I can't imagine what is in store if the cool front makes it this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good times are ahead of us, can't wait for that cool front this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I noticed a bunch of acorns on the ground in Erath County this past weekend.

Comment

I was in Robertson county this past week and it was the first time in the 13 years I have ever seen a buck hard horned before Labor Day up there. Saw two of them last week. Both were middle age deer and appeared to be in really good shape.

Comment

Acorns are dropping at my house as well. Have not seen any hard horned deer. Pecan trees are starting to lose their leaves now as well.

Comment

Fall cannot get here fast enough.

- That first cold front that gets the temps down into the lower 50's in the morning and late evening.
            - The excitement and yelling at the TV when your favorite college or pro team makes that last minute winning field goal. And the raised eyebrow look from your wife after that.
            - The call of ducks and the unmistakable honk of geese as they migrate toward the coast as you sit in your stand and gaze at the sky with bow in your lap.
            - The smell of cedar burning in a good deer camp campfire.
            - The low blanket of fog that hangs in the valleys early in the morning.
            - Goosebumps when you walk out of the camper early in the morning first thing.
            - The smell of coffee as you zip up your jacket in anticipation of the upcoming morning hunt.
            - The rush and pounding heartbeat you feel when that shooter buck shows himself at the edge of your setup right when you least expect it.
            - The distinct smell of chicken fried backstrap fresh from the doe you shot last week.

I am so ready. Thank you Lord for fall and all that comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post

- That first cold front that gets the temps down into the lower 50's in the morning and late evening.
              - The excitement and yelling at the TV when your favorite college or pro team makes that last minute winning field goal. And the raised eyebrow look from your wife after that.
              - The call of ducks and the unmistakable honk of geese as they migrate toward the coast as you sit in your stand and gaze at the sky with bow in your lap.
              - The smell of coffee as you zip up your jacket in anticipation of the upcoming morning hunt.
              - The rush and pounding heartbeat you feel when that shooter buck shows himself at the edge of your setup right when you least expect it.
              - The distinct smell of chicken fried backstrap fresh from the doe you shot last week.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post

very well said!

Comment

Now I'm getting fired up! You put me at camp for a second there.

Comment

Been dreaming bout deer camp for a week. Wife knows it's coming soon, she keeps catching me in that far off stare at nothing. She's in denial I think.

Comment

Tons of acorns on ground in garden ridge... get that out of the way now lol

Comment

Tons of acorns near Mason. Deer are not hitting corn very hard right now.

Comment

Its funny as saturday I heard a few drop at Lake Georgetown

Comment

Weather is getting better here. It was warm today, but this week's forecast looks like 70s for highs/high 40s low 50s in the morning.

We have a few acorns dropping, but not many yet. Bucks are still all in velvet, but should be rubbing out in the next couple of weeks. Usually they're all hard horned by the 15th.

Saw probably 250+ teal buzzing over our ponds while dove hunting Saturday morning. First signs of fall!

Comment

Working...
                            X