Javelina Stalk - Filmed with Drone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Javelina Stalk - Filmed with Drone

I drove around last Wednesday evening looking for javelinas, hoping to film a spot-stalk with my Spark. I found some, but by the time I got everything together, they had dispersed.

I also set up a new Krivoman blind on Wednesday. A late work event provided me an opportunity to stay in South Texas for another night, so I got up Thursday morning with the goal of figuring out hunting/filming options from the new blind. My first attempt at a javi was errant, as I had to extend to shoot over my camera through the window, and then the arrow clipped a branch, diverting the arrow harmlessly behind the critter.

I made some adjustments and when they came back in, I let one fly and it hit true!

When they came back, I decided I'd stick the drone out the back and fly it up, just to see how they would react. They got a little nervous, but I could still see them through the brush. I decided this would be a good opportunity to see if I could get the shot on video from the drone. It worked out pretty well, except that the blood trails merged and I never could figure out where they split.

Ideally, I would like to repeat the stalk in "active track" mode. I guess since I didn't find the second one, I still haven't met my limit?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnHipfO9MWc"]Wild Javelina "Hog" Bowhunt - Self Filmed with DJI Spark Drone - YouTube[/ame]
    My Flickr Photos

Cool!

Comment

That's pretty cool

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
          Cool!
          Exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

That’s awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got a link?

Comment

Tech hunter! Nice Michael!!!

Comment

so, this could be illegal, at the very least you are in a gray area as javelina are a game animal unlike pigs.
                  Last edited by sectxag06; 11-06-2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                    so, this is very likely illegal at the very least you are in a gray area as javelina are a game animal unlike pigs.
                    I considered that possibility, but then there's no reason why it would be. I didn't use the drone to identify, locate, drive or summon the animals to me or the area. It was simply used as a vehicle to film the action from an elevated position. There was no harassment (other than the arrow that I zipped through it.)

I debated whether to attempt it for that reason, but then logic took over. Nothing illegal here.
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

so, this is very likely illegal at the very least you are in a gray area as javelina are a game animal unlike pigs.
                      How do you figure?

Comment

Man, you have a javelina problem there! That was a good sized group fleeing the area.

Very cool video.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                          How do you figure?
                          Texas hasn't really made a definitive position on it other than to remind people that UAVs fall under the airborne hunting act.

it's very definitely gray area of legality.

i edited my original post as "very likely illegal" is not correct.

i'm just putting it out there.

Comment

Awesome vid

Comment

so, this could be illegal, at the very least you are in a gray area as javelina are a game animal unlike pigs.
                              Texas hasn't really made a definitive position on it other than to remind people that UAVs fall under the airborne hunting act.

it's very definitely gray area of legality.

i edited my original post as "very likely illegal" is not correct.

i'm just putting it out there.
                              I understand where you are coming from, but like Michael I don't think that in this case anything was done that would fall into it being used illegally.
                              I guess we may find out differently but I would not sit on a jury and convict Michael based on my understanding of the law

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                              Man, you have a javelina problem there! That was a good sized group fleeing the area.

Very cool video.
                              You ain't lying, I saw flea pigs going every which direction when he shot

Comment

Working...
                              X