Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do we do? He's 5. Hard to let him walk...but I want to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have a heart attack if he walked out in front of me, even at the ripe age of 29. Beautiful deer, it would be nice for him to continue his genes a while longer also, but he is very unique and a shooter in my book. Tough tough decision.

Comment

Walk him, tough to do but the right thing to do.

Comment

I would've probably shot THAT deer at 1.5 Joking, he is a hoss!

Comment

I don't know exactly what you are thinking, but IMO, if your first instinct is to let him walk, that is probably what you should do. You may have a little bit of shooter's remorse if you wack him before you truly feel like you should.

Comment

Man, I hate those types of decisions. What a buck!

Comment

Walk him, she'd hunt hard, and just think of what he can be in 2 to 4 years

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

Low fence, non-fed native deer from the early 80's.

We have a repro of him on the wall. Can you imagine what he would have looked like on feed??? Yeesh.

Notice the flat under beam ridge?? For whatever reason, if you fine a shed like that, or see a deer with that in our country, you will see him throw drops when he gets older much of the time.

Sent from my Walkie Talkie using Tapatalk.
                unreal! thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                  My experience is that drop tines come and go. Overall we are seeing more drop tines in the last few years than ever. I can remember most of my life only dreaming to see one. Now, because of higher nutrition and better age structure they are more common on our properties.

That said we rarely see a specific buck carry a drop tines every yr. I have one on my ranch now that has had a drop tine with every rack thru his 6th year last year. Rather they seem to come and go or maybe pop up one yr. to never reappear. WE shot a 12 yr old couple yrs ago that had 6 drops. He had only had a drop tine one other time when he was 6.

Like you I'm interested in Marco's experience.
                  Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                  Drops come in several varieties IMO.

Injury drops are the most common (sometimes beam droop drops as well but those aren't drops)

Mid beam drops. Generally in my experience, if a deer has a mid beam drop young and repeats it in the next year (or shows an under beam ridge) he's going to have a drop again. If a deer doesn't pop a drop until he is 6... I'm more inclined to shoot him because he is less likely to do it again.

I treat drops he same way I treat inline points. If they get them young, I'll leave them even if they lose them for a couple of years, just because I know if everything gun goes right, it will probably show back up.

Sown drops are more repeatable than others. Drops before the g-2 seem to be less repeatable for whatever reason.

I actually was expecting/hoping this deer to throw drops on his left side at some point because of his beam shape/under beam ridge line. I'm glad he did.

One of the largest values for me that no one has mentioned yet is the enjoyment of having a live deer like this running around to look at. That's a big part of it for me and my hunters. You can't afford to take every girl home from the bar, but it adds something to the experience to have a really good looking one that's a regular at the bar you go to.

Sent from my Walkie Talkie using Tapatalk.
                  Thank you both for your feedback. I would guess that he will throw multiple drops in the future I was just a little surprised at how long and pretty they were last year and then have one small one this year. His frame did get much bigger this year though.

Good Luck Marko. That deer is something special

Comment

One of the largest values for me that no one has mentioned yet is the enjoyment of having a live deer like this running around to look at. That's a big part of it for me and my hunters. You can't afford to take every girl home from the bar, but it adds something to the experience to have a really good looking one that's a regular at the bar you go to.

Big applause from the audience.I often feel some remorse after we take out a buck knowing we will never see him on the ranch again. Bittersweet.Nice having them on the wall but super cool seeing them live running around doing their thing.

Comment

Shoooooooooooooooot

Comment

That's what you call a "first world" problem.

Comment

I have to agree they are fun to watch! If you have confidence he will continue to do it, I say let him go. Seems just as much enjoyment seeing him. Maybe you can find his sheds to have also.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                            What are the odds of finding his drops in the spring? You could have the best of both worlds if you were able to find them. Given your situation and place, I would be on the side of letting him walk. But couldnt fault you for taking him this year. Tomorrow isnt promised to anyone or any living thing for that matter.
                            This is the way I look at it. ^^^^

Comment

that old 8 reminds me of carters country in houston...showed me i had no idea what 170+ inches of antler looked like.

fun to have this wealth of TBh knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post

Big applause from the audience.I often feel some remorse after we take out a buck knowing we will never see him on the ranch again. Bittersweet.Nice having them on the wall but super cool seeing them live running around doing their thing.
                                X2

Comment

Working...
                                X