Managing does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing does

Since killing does is a major part of deer management in order to keep the buck:doe ratio in check I wanted to hear y'all's opinions on how you go about choosing does to harvest. I know many times there isn't much of an option and the first doe to show is killed, but if you had choices what is the perfect doe to harvest? In my personal opinion I look for either a obviously old doe, since her days are numbered anyways, or a mature doe that appears to be smaller framed then the other mature does. My thoughts are bigger framed does will pass on those genetics and therefore lead to bigger bodied bucks which will hopefully be capable of growing bigger racks. Let's hear what y'all's thoughts are on picking does to harvest!

I always vote the first one to snort,stomp or any kind of alert to teach the others about looking out for hunters gets it first. Specially if i couldnt get her during bow season. I want a dumb herd not smart ones.
    Not many predators around us though so not a big deal.

Comment

I take some of each age class as I don't want to shoot just mature doe's since they are usually the best at raising their young.

Comment

The reason you kill off does is

#1) bucks have a higher mortality rate so you kill does to even up the buck doe ratio
        #2) get mouths off the land (the less # of mouths, the more food per deer)

Therefore any doe (fawn, yearling, or old hag) achieves both of these goals. If you see it, whack it.

Comment

I also take the smart/sneaky ones and look at the front knees for arthritis.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
            The reason you kill off does is

#1) bucks have a higher mortality rate so you kill does to even up the buck doe ratio
            #2) get mouths off the land (the less # of mouths, the more food per deer)

Therefore any doe (fawn, yearling, or old hag) achieves both of these goals. If you see it, whack it.
            X2!

Comment

how do you decide how many to take? how much does it take to over pressure them and move them somewhere else?

Comment

We shoot the first one that stands still that doesnt have a small fawn with it. So far this year we have killed four:

72lb 1yo
                78lb 2yo
                100lb 4+yo
                120lb 4+yo

All weights are field dressed.

Right or wrong we think getting the number where you need it is more important than making sure you shootthe right aged doe. Usually our harvest tends to spread to all age classes when it is all over.

Comment

I usually shoot the ones that show up late in the morning. Also I try to kill the ones that are at least average sized (get more meat off of her. Typically it is the more aggressive ones that end up presenting a shot.

Comment

Here is a good read from a well respected biologist on doe management.

Comment

Great read thanks for sharing...

Comment

Originally posted by Riptide369 View Post
                        X2

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                          Here is a good read from a well respected biologist on doe management.

http://www.whitetaildomains.com/Arti...egies+Examined
                          ^^^^^^this^^^^^^ one of the best if not arguably the best. very well respected.

Comment

Originally posted by Riptide369 View Post
                            x2

Comment

I am biologist and in respect to which does to harvest it takes a keen eye to inspect does in regards to their age and body structure. Remember that does make up 50% of the genetics in every buck born. Strong mature does, with very good muscle structure tend to produce the best offspring and usually handle twins with no problem. Remember in a drought condition your first year animals will be the first to die off, followed by the very old. With all that said you still need to reduce animals so that the range can handle the population.

Comment

Working...
                              X