Mobile welding setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile welding setups

Pretty much talked myself out of it but a little extra 'thats a dumb idea' reassurance never hurt. I want to move out of my little home mig setup into a multi process welder and a good plasma but also want to get on the road with it out to the ranch and such. My problem is once I'm into a miller 215, 625 plasma, and a decent 7.5kw (I think that's about what I'd need) gen set im approaching bobcat 225 price point. So do i get a 215/625/generator drop a couple extra outlets in the garage and could ditch my welder I have or the 225 and have to run a machine whenever I'm at the house (majority of the time) and need more than my little mig I have now. Moving the thing and having to run it at home obviously would suck and the genny would be useful as a stand alone. I know the answer but the poser in me wants to ride around with the big one.

Seems to me most of what you do with a 220mig and plasma setup would not be what you would need at the ranch. If you are doing a bunch of repair/fence work then the bobcat would be very appropriate. If you are really more focused on fab work sounds like you need to deck out your home shop.

What about a compromise and pick up a Hobart champion AC only gas welder and have extra money left for the better mig/plasma?

Comment

The 215 covers all the same processes as the 225 (as far as I know) as long as I could power it I don't think id be lacking in anything. The second one is an interesting thought hadn't considered that. No focus on anything really just an over enthusiastic hobbyist. I take on a few little paid projects but not making money off the thing.

Comment

Thought the bobcat is stick only?

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
          Does TIG as well.

Comment

If you're going mobile to the ranch then you need to fit a torch rig in there. Too much heating and bending involved to just have a plasma.

If you with the portable and you are not too stick savvy then you might later get a suit case mig machine. They are made for portable, in the field use.

What ever you choose, you might think about building a skid with every thing on it and sliding it in the truck when you need it at the ranch. When you get back to the shop, just slide it out on a stand.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
              Mig and Tig of my trailblazer also

Comment

Working...
              X