Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 08-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #51
Perkins7581
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorthunder View Post
Been 2 days. Will comment tomorrow on your replies. It really boils down to modern deer and modern equipment verses 1500's gear. This deer limped around for 4ish months and may still have a broad head lodged in its shoulder. This blows on a bunch of levels.
Reminds me of a member on my lease that told me of a member shooting deer with a 9mm carbine. Most of the critters he shot ran away.
No excuses - use modern equipment on modern deer.................
That's about the stupidest sh-t I've every heard. People use modern equipment and still make bad shots it sucks. I done it last yrs I looked for the deer for 3 months last year. I sure hope u don't eat beef and every go to a slaughthouse because the line move so fast that every cow don't hit the floor after the gun go's off. Good nite cupcake
Perkins7581 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2017, 11:05 PM   #52
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Funny how our ancestors killed deer for 10's of thousands of years with a simple stick and string before the invention of so called " modern equipment "!
I guess the deer changed when the weapons changed?
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2017, 11:10 PM   #53
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
Been 2 days. Will comment tomorrow on your replies. It really boils down to modern deer and modern equipment verses 1500's gear. This deer limped around for 4ish months and may still have a broad head lodged in its shoulder. This blows on a bunch of levels.
Reminds me of a member on my lease that told me of a member shooting deer with a 9mm carbine. Most of the critters he shot ran away.
Waiting to find out what a modern deer is.... pretty sure the deer I hunt haven't changed near as fast as archery equipment has in the past oh... 40 years.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #54
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

Shiloh, put your "blinders" on, forget about the few uninformed comments, and focus/go get that buck this season! Good Luck my brother! Put one in the sweet spot on that "titanium plated" beauty of a buck! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2017, 11:55 PM   #55
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Dude bad shots happen with any kind of weapon no matter what that's hunting and if you don't like hunting then maybe you shouldn't be on a bow hunting forum because guess what it's hunting real hunting at that .. Your barking up the wrong tree on this sight... I bet there has been a heck of a lot more deer killed with 1500s gear as you call it then the modern day equipment just saying. I do use a compound bow .. But I envy anyone that can get close to a animal with traditional equipment.. Good luck to Shiloh I hope you get him !!
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 12:00 AM   #56
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default A bit of closure

Quote:

What you are implying is that nobody loses deer with compounds or rifles (modern equipment). That is ludicrous, and downright wrong! Like said many times above, it boils down to the individual and his ability with his equipment! I know guys who use compounds, and have seen a few over the years with rifles that have no business in the woods because they lacked the proficiency to effectively meet their goal, even though their equipment was more than adequate!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 12:07 AM   #57
R.Armendariz
Six Point

Hunt In: South tx.

So what your saying is if shoot a modern deer with a "modern equip"compound bow or rifle regardless if shot was less than perfect it will fall dead in its tracks. hmm I wonder what kind of 25-06 bullet was used when I helped a guy track a buck for 3 hrs and lost it. Compound bows have misses also I have witnessed them,last year I took down a doe that was wounded by compound , tracked it for 2 hrs and deer stopped and I shot it with my longbow was a long shot but it was complete pass through and the doe was retrieved imagine that. What is a modern deer? GMO? On this forum there are people who are exceptional shoots and have taken some nice trophy animals and tournament titles MedicineMan7 is one of those people. A bad shot can happen regardless what equipment is used that is fact. Whatever the case you have insulted the whole Traditional forum,and if you really want modern go to rifle, also your dislike for our equipment well too bad it is our choice not yours we will continue to do so without you Holyier Than Thou attitude.
R.Armendariz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 12:28 AM   #58
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Good luck MedMan. What a handsome critter. I have faith you will succeed this year.

I gut shot a buck last year and found him several weeks later. It made me sick losing him but I kept looking (watching buzzards and finding various carcasses) and finally found him. I told the game warden my story before I found the buck and he said to consider it a mulligan but I still tagged the buck after finding it.

SwampRabbit...dont you know that Modern deer: all have smart phones, facebook accounts, drive Chevy Volts, only drink Starbucks lattes, watch Rachel Maddow and think Trump is Hitler reincarnate because he stole Hillarys election victory. Modern deer are smarter than their parents and faster than any hunter...regardless of the projectile. Modern deer should only be taken by laser beams....Im waiting for my form 5 to be approved.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 12:54 AM   #59
tradtiger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Interesting thing about the questioning of the OP's methods on TexasBowhunter.com is that Medicine Man 7 is indeed among the very best archers in the world -- in fact, he just won the International Bowhunters Organization Championship in Longbow last month. If he says he released a shot that he wouldn't change, then you can bet that it went where he meant to. However, deer are tough, and sometimes their lightning fast reflexes will beat any technology. It's why they call it hunting, not killing.

Last edited by tradtiger; 08-15-2017 at 01:06 AM..
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #60
Featherflinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker, Wise, Throckmorton

Quote:
Maybe you shouldn't comment on the replies. Your input isn't going to help anyone and maybe you should just leave it alone after you stuck your foot in your mouth. There's no point in more negativity and getting everyone all worked up!
Featherflinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #61
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Stud! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #62
Deepwoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Llano, East Texas

that's an awesome deer
Deepwoods is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #63
LostHawg
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green, Texas and Polk, Arkansas

Quote:
This is not good stuff. Wounding an animal really blows.
Hope the OP drops the Indian stick and string method and kills this deer the next time. Wounding it twice would be disgusting..........
because no one EVER wounds with a rifle....

Go find another forum...
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #64
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:
You are out of line with your comments, especially in this forum and this site. there are hunters, bow and rifle, that don't put in the time or practice with their equipment and are much more susceptible to making a bad shot than (most) traditional archers, many of whom dedicate substantially more time to their craft and are more familiar with their equipment, abilities, range limitations and animal behavior than the average hunter.

Your comments are intentionally antagonistic and inflammatory and won't be tolerated here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #65
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
It may be better to just leave it alone at this point. I haven't met Shiloh yet, but he's obviously a good shot. I have shot with a bunch of the other guys who post regularly on the trad forum, and if you saw most of them shoot I think you'd realize how far off base you are. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but before you voice it sometimes it's better to have an educated opinion on the matter at hand. In this case it sounds like you don't have much knowledge of traditional archery.
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #66
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

Indian stick bad.....Boom stick good.....uhhg-uhhg....must find fire.
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #67
shortstroke 91
Eight Point

Quote:

Somebody gets their electrolytes by chug-a-lugging HATERADE.
Maybe you should start a petition to outlaw hunting with stick and string, I'm sure you could find some backing on this forum....
shortstroke 91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #68
UrbanBuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: DCNF, SHNF, CROCKETT
Default Boo this man

Quote:
Ran a large lease in central Texas for 22 years. This is a lease managers worst nightmare. Great example why bow hunting should be restricted on most leases.............
BOO THIS MAN... Did you forget what sight your on????
UrbanBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #69
Perkins7581
Ten Point

We're you at thorthhunder put that dog down for a minute, he want run off!!
Perkins7581 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 01:35 PM   #70
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:

You misspelled "I was wrong...sorry for being a condescending *******. I will think before I post next time"
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #71
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I hate it when I have to say that.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #72
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

Glad to see he made it through. Sounds like you will be ready for him this year. Good luck
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #73
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Quote:
Ran a large lease in central Texas for 22 years. This is a lease managers worst nightmare. Great example why bow hunting should be restricted on most leases.............
I actually have a legitimate question...in the above comment you state That bow hunting should be restricted on MOST leases. So what in your mind makes bow hunting unacceptable on MOST leases but not ALL leases?
Old 08-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #74
DRT
Pope & Young

Well on a bow only lease it's a little harder to restrict it . . . And I prefer a bow only lease.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #75
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Well on a bow only lease it's a little harder to restrict it . . . And I prefer a bow only lease.

LOL. I do as well, but I was hoping that the original author of that comment could provide some clarity.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #76
DRT
Pope & Young

After Michaels input I wouldn't expect any more.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #77
DRT
Pope & Young

Grateful for that as well.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #78
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherflinger View Post
Maybe you shouldn't comment on the replies. Your input isn't going to help anyone and maybe you should just leave it alone after you stuck your foot in your mouth. There's no point in more negativity and getting everyone all worked up!
Absolutely the best advise so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
You are out of line with your comments, especially in this forum and this site. there are hunters, bow and rifle, that don't put in the time or practice with their equipment and are much more susceptible to making a bad shot than (most) traditional archers, many of whom dedicate substantially more time to their craft and are more familiar with their equipment, abilities, range limitations and animal behavior than the average hunter.

Your comments are intentionally antagonistic and inflammatory and won't be tolerated here.

SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #79
snappertapper
Ten Point

well this certainly turned into an interesting thread.

On a side note, that's a hell of a deer.
snappertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 05:32 PM   #80
tradslam
Eight Point

Hunt In: Co,Tx,Ne,Wy,Ok or where ever I draw a tag

Its hilarious how guys pass judgement on a guy that that kills a pile of animals a year and has one wound.

If you're shooting 15/20 critters a year and loose one, I'm sure the numbers work out better then the guy that shoots 10-15 critters in 20 years, and looses a few? I'm not good at math though.............
tradslam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #81
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Nice deer. I've messed around with a recurve off and on over the years, but never put in enough time, where I was confident enough to take my chances hunting with it. Still, If someone is a really proficient with one, and knows what shots to take and what there limits are, I think they're just as lethal as modern archery equipment. It's the Indian not the bow. Just have to know your limits and stick to them. Got to get'em close.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #82
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere they let me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermonkey View Post
Shiloh, put your "blinders" on, forget about the few uninformed comments, and focus/go get that buck this season! Good Luck my brother! Put one in the sweet spot on that "titanium plated" beauty of a buck! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

I'm thick skinned and can tune just about anything out, especially someone telling me what is or isn't ethical, and how I should or shouldn't hunt.

The way I look at it is, hunt with whatever you want to (bow, rifle, pistol, crossbow, bazooka, ect.), how ever you want whether its high fence, low fence, no fence, or whatever, as long as it's LEGAL and you know your equipment and what it is capable of doing and what YOUR capable of doing. I hunt with about everything, but prefer my Indian Stick any day over anything else. Anyone can kill a deer with a rifle, but to actually scout, hunt, and get within an ethical range of 20 yards or less on a mature whitetail, draw an "Indian Stick" back, release and watch as the arrow it just launched fly threw the air and let the air out of his lungs, is something that is un-matchable!

My only question is, how has the deer I'm hunting become "modern" therefore making it to where modern equipment is required to kill him? I mean I am shooting carbon arrows, those are pretty modern I'd say? This bucks never been in a pen, he's never had "rack master ***L" supplement put in front of him to eat nor has he been fed supplemental protein every day of his life. He's just an ol buck that lives way back in the middle of a bois de'ark thicket surrounded by swamp and cotton mouths that hasn't changed one bit since I started hunting it 18 years ago. Heck, there ain't even any cell signal down there! So since he has not been subjected to any of the above modern amenities that deer have now, does this exclude him from being a modern deer, therefore, making it ethical for me to shoot him with my Indian Stick just like my family has done for many generations before me?
MedicineMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #83
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

Good luck on him Shiloh! Cuz I bet your gonna need a little! If he's like some of the ol swamp bucks round here, they get purty wiley! I also hear ya on that the deer I hunt don't even know what a protein feeder looks like, so they may be a little "Old School" too! And I'm bettin your "antique" equipment will kill him dead as a hammer. Once again, good luck brother, and keep us posted. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #84
tradtiger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
I'm thick skinned and can tune just about anything out, especially someone telling me what is or isn't ethical, and how I should or shouldn't hunt.

The way I look at it is, hunt with whatever you want to (bow, rifle, pistol, crossbow, bazooka, ect.), how ever you want whether its high fence, low fence, no fence, or whatever, as long as it's LEGAL and you know your equipment and what it is capable of doing and what YOUR capable of doing. I hunt with about everything, but prefer my Indian Stick any day over anything else. Anyone can kill a deer with a rifle, but to actually scout, hunt, and get within an ethical range of 20 yards or less on a mature whitetail, draw an "Indian Stick" back, release and watch as the arrow it just launched fly threw the air and let the air out of his lungs, is something that is un-matchable!

My only question is, how has the deer I'm hunting become "modern" therefore making it to where modern equipment is required to kill him? I mean I am shooting carbon arrows, those are pretty modern I'd say? This bucks never been in a pen, he's never had "rack master ***L" supplement put in front of him to eat nor has he been fed supplemental protein every day of his life. He's just an ol buck that lives way back in the middle of a bois de'ark thicket surrounded by swamp and cotton mouths that hasn't changed one bit since I started hunting it 18 years ago. Heck, there ain't even any cell signal down there! So since he has not been subjected to any of the above modern amenities that deer have now, does this exclude him from being a modern deer, therefore, making it ethical for me to shoot him with my Indian Stick just like my family has done for many generations before me?
According to it's Governor's Office, The Chickasaw Nation is proud of your many archery achievements and grateful for your work in helping them stay healthy as a pharmacist at the Tishomingo Clinic! So shoot whatever kind of equipment you want!
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #85
240m3srt
Four Point

Quote:
And by doing so take much of what "hunting" is all about out of the equation for many of us, not wounding im referring to, but hunting with this 1500's gear. Reminds me of some friends that hunt trophy deer on a 500 acre ranch from a 2 story elevated blind in Llano, TX. They use high power rifles with high power scopes, 360 degress of 500yd killability. They brag that they dont shoot under feeders. They personally know and name every deer each year then decides who shoots what. These guys are in their 60's and brag they have never lost a deer.

Im not convinced theyve ever actually "hunted."
240m3srt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2017, 12:23 AM   #86
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Waiting to find out what a modern deer is.... pretty sure the deer I hunt haven't changed near as fast as archery equipment has in the past oh... 40 years.

Modern deer are now made of Kevlar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2017, 04:51 AM   #87
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default A bit of closure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240m3srt View Post
And by doing so take much of what "hunting" is all about out of the equation for many of us, not wounding im referring to, but hunting with this 1500's gear. Reminds me of some friends that hunt trophy deer on a 500 acre ranch from a 2 story elevated blind in Llano, TX. They use high power rifles with high power scopes, 360 degress of 500yd killability. They brag that they dont shoot under feeders. They personally know and name every deer each year then decides who shoots what. These guys are in their 60's and brag they have never lost a deer.

Im not convinced theyve ever actually "hunted."

There's nothing wrong with their type of hunting either much like this traditional hunt.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top